Menu

Annual testing done in home???

tiffanieh

Didn't I read somewhere that you can get some type of annual test actually sent to your home to complete and send in vs. going to some facility to do?

I've never tested my kids, (3rd and 1st) and on one hand I'm curious (although I KNOW where he struggles and where he soars) but I kinda would like an annual gauge of improvements that only I will be privy too. Wouldn't share it with my children either.

With my child's auditory processing issues and how he can be highly distractable I think him testing in a room full of strangers with noises, etc. would deter him from doing his best. Something he can do in the privacy of our home (without my help obviously) would be ideal!!!

Guest RecumbentHeart

I have a friend who does tutoring and testing and he does it in people's homes. Perhaps you could find someone who will come to you?

Now this is my first year doing this but I'm ordering the Stanford Achievement Test through BJU publishing and then I'll send it back to them for results. I had to send in an application to be a test giver but it wasn't a big deal. We are required by our state to do testing but not til next year. I wanted to do it this year to get him used to it.

You can order the California Achievement Test (CAT) (regular or the shorter survey one). If you have a bachelor's degree, you can order and give the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS).

We have had some Woodcock-Johnson III testers who offered to come to the home, but not all do.

Didn't I read somewhere that you can get some type of annual test actually sent to your home to complete and send in vs. going to some facility to do?

I've never tested my kids, (3rd and 1st) and on one hand I'm curious (although I KNOW where he struggles and where he soars) but I kinda would like an annual gauge of improvements that only I will be privy too. Wouldn't share it with my children either.

With my child's auditory processing issues and how he can be highly distractable I think him testing in a room full of strangers with noises, etc. would deter him from doing his best. Something he can do in the privacy of our home (without my help obviously) would be ideal!!!

I use Seton Homeschool Supply. This is a CAT test and accepted by our school district. It is reading, la and math only.

Faithe

We use CAT and order it from Christian Liberty......I order it online and it arrives within 3 days....we have 30 days to give the test and send it back....usually have the results back in 7 days but we test in May. They told me if you test in April to allow 14 days to receive results back. I have used this test for the last 5 years and it works great for us and our state accepts it.

There is also a test you can do at home called the PASS test. However, that is for 3rd grade and up. That one is supposedly specifically designed for parents to administer at home and is not timed.

We use the PASS. It reassures my dh we're progressing. I can remind my ds to get back to work since we're working at home. They do have to be third grade. You can find it on the Hewitt website.

I've done the IOWA tests from BJU at home. Super easy to get done. You just have to sign some papers and answer some questions to qualify you as a tester.

We do, too--I like the results you get back better than the CAT. I gave the CAT to my highschooler, but used ITBS with my little one.

I hate testing and it irritates me every year we have to do it (required in my state.) I was giving the CAT test through Seton because it was cheapest, but I really preferred the Woodcock Johnson.

I was finally able to procure and older version of the W-J with protocols and give that at home. I don't offer it to friends for a charge because it is an older version and I don't want to spend $1000 for a newer version. I got this version for $25 used!

Dawn