Menu

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lesson...

kozamom

Hello All:~)

My 4 year-old ds & dd will be finishing 100EL in the coming days. I would love to follow-up with another structured reading program. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kozamom

I used the Scholastic Clifford phonics readers with two kids and Sonlight's I Can Read It books with the other. Both offered a controlled progression of stories to work through.

We also read a lot of readers that I bought or found at the library. Each publisher has a little different idea of what is a level 1 or level 2. So you pretty much have to open up the book and look at text density and word choice to know if it will work or not. (I remember one Star Wars book that I ended up getting rid of. It was supposed to be level 1, but was filled with alien names that my kids didn't know because they hadn't seen the movie referenced.)

Dr Seuss has some great titles in the expanded Beginner Books series. Look for titles by P. D. Eastman and Robert Lopshire. Skip over the books by Seuss himself that were written for better readers. A lot of these books are library standards. (Go Dog Go was a special favorite. So was Put Me in the Zoo.)

Sometimes a series can be a lot of help. Some that we enjoyed included:

Little Bear by Minarek

Poppleton by Rylant

Henry and Mudge by Rylant

Frog and Toad by Lobel (followed by Uncle Elephant, Mouse Tales and The Grasshopper in the Road when we'd read all the Frog and Toad stories).

Mr. Putter and Tabby by Rylant

For a while my older kids read one chapter a day of a level 3 or level 4 DK reader. They were interesting, had lots of pictures and were a little less intimidating than a chapter book.