Menu

Do you plan to homeschool to graduation?

mommy4ever

No, yes, and maybe -- how's that for an answer? ;)

My oldest started attending a Christian school last year and loves it. The level of work she's doing scares me -- I worry I wouldn't do as good of a job if I were homeschooling her.

But I'm committed to homeschooling my son with autism through high school unless God directs us differently. He's behind grade level in most subjects, so I'm likely to be visiting this forum for a very long time. :grouphug:

My youngest will be homeschooled until 6th or 7th and then we'll decide what to do. I love homeschooling her, so I'm not opposed to the idea -- it's just that fear thing I talked about earlier. :001_unsure: It would also depend on how her brother is doing. Right now I can combine a lot of stuff for them, but if I couldn't do that, then sending her to school would probably be a better option.

So there is many who KNOW, and many who hope, and lots who fret..lol.

I do hope to go through high school. But we have some challenges at the grade 8 level.

Part of my hesitation is our post secondary schools here, don't acknowledge HS'ers unless they do the credit route. Now that is easily enough done, but the curriculum is very dry. I'll have to explore options with different school boards. For now we're fine, for at least another year(our high school is consider 10-12).

I don't want anyone to fret over schooling, but at the same time, I'm happy that I'm not the only one!

My deep desire is to hs all the way through, but today is one of those days where I think it's just. not. happening.

Right now the firm plan is to homeschool until we believe there is a school out there that will do a better job than me. For our oldest, it was when she hit 9th grade (because I couldn't do her education justice when the littles were, well, little. Hard to learn Algebra when you're ducking blocks being chucked to and fro.)

Yes, but the thought of high school does give me a bit of a panic. :scared:

I have had those moments, too. Especially when I think of the classes where I barely--and I do mean barely--treaded water. (Pardon cliche)

When we come to chemistry, trig, physics, and calculus, we'll send them to the community college. At least that's what we're thinking right now. So much can and will change between now and 10 years from now.

I was home-schooled in eighth grade, did my ninth grade at the local high-school, and as tenth grade approached I sort of told my mother “either home-school me or else, because I’m not going back!†(Hard to see why I got farmed out in ninth grade, isn’t it?) I didn’t get my wish, but I got better than what I hoped. I entered my local, and small community college with a modest schedule and never looked back. I don’t think it would work at all with a large college, but a light schedule at a community college could be helpful to augment your schedule of home activities. The maturity of the student would be the biggest factor to consider. To me, the academics were not rigorous, however, it was useful for me to have greater responsibility for completing assignments on time, and for keeping a daily schedule.

As an aside, when I decided to home-school my children I first considered our local private school that has a great reputation for excellence. I ultimately opted to home-school because the private school stops at fifth grade. After that, I was told, their students go to the public school, or must be transferred to the secondary institution miles away from home. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that our education system just tosses our junior-high students out the window? Private and public schools. I know I felt that way in ninth grade. Psychologically I think that has to be devastating for this age group.

I’m grateful that we now do have some good on-line options not available when I was young.

I am committed to home schooling through the middle school years. I think I could teach high school (I taught high school math for 4 years), but I think we will probably put our kids in our good public school then. The biggest reason is that I anticipate my kids going away to college as their parents did, and they need to be able to live in the world. They need to handle workloads from multiple teachers, they need to learn to build relationships with others outside the family (I know this is not a problem for lots of home schoolers, but it is a problem for my dds), they need to learn how to live their values in a world with lots of other opinions. I think it is easier to start to learn these lessons during high school while you live with your parents than when you are 18 and on your own away from home. If we didn't have decent high schools I would look at some hybrid home school/cc/online classes type combo, but I don't see any fatal flaws in our local schools.