Menu

"whole to parts" programs for phonics and/or math?

I don't know if this helps, but we do whole-to-parts for phonics by just reading books. My kids actually learned to read by reading. I still do the sequential phonics program, but it lags way behind reading skills.

For math we also do the sequential curriculum, but add to it living books that discuss harder concepts.

Teach a Child to Read With Children's Books (pdf) is pretty whole-to-parts. He includes a lot of whole language stuff that I disagree with, but I think you could replace a lot of that with an WRTR/SWR approach, and still retain the whole-to-parts, reason for reading/writing feel. I've toyed with the idea, anyway.

For math, a lot of the constructivist approaches are pretty whole-to-parts (though potentially lacking on the parts front). You could look at CSMP - it's free and mathematically good, though rather unorthodox ;). And it has several highly visual approaches it uses throughout the program that could be helpful for v/s learners.

Maybe a silly questions, but what does whole to parts mean?

For me it means a non-sequential learner, but it can also mean learning concepts through understanding the whole picture. My kids often learn difficult concepts quicker than easier ones. So reading was generally easy and phonics was hard and I didn't do the sight word thing.

Maybe a silly questions, but what does whole to parts mean?

Generally speaking, whole-to-parts means you start with the big picture, and then fill in the details. This often means you see things at the beginning that haven't been explained, that you either pick up intuitively or mentally file in the "to be explained later" pile. As you delve into the details, you fill in the blanks. Parts-to-whole means you start with the details, and build up the whole as you go. So there's never anything that is unexplained, but you don't always see the how each detail slots into the big picture when you first learn it - it becomes clear later on, as you fill in more pieces to the puzzle. It's a continuum, and people (and programs) fall in various spots along it - and if there's a big enough mismatch b/w the program style and learner style, it doesn't always go well ;).

Thanks, guys!

The one I'm highly suspecting that is whole-to-parts is 12. He didn't have super strong phonics instruction (BJU), but any reading issues he has seem to stem from visual problems (which he is about to start therapy for). Spelling isn't too great, but I wonder if I did something like Phonetic Zoo or something with him to fill in the gaps where he has problems??? Or is that more parts-to-whole?:confused: I know Sequential Spelling seems whole-to-parts, but I don't like that it doesn't talk about the rules at ALL (plus I don't have time to go through SS with him...we used to use it).

Wait! Maybe Spelling Power?????????? Just so I can concentrate on the words he doesn't know vs. the ones he does? And then fill in the spelling rules as we come across problems?????

Math...he's just about ready to start Pre-Algebra. I am strongly considering putting him in Lial's BCM with my 8th grader, just so they can both fill in any gaps and then proceed onto Pre-Algebra. Might this be an OK fit? I KIND of think so since he seems to do great with whatever math he uses. (Math is his thing LOL.)

Thanks, guys!

The one I'm highly suspecting that is whole-to-parts is 12. He didn't have super strong phonics instruction (BJU), but any reading issues he has seem to stem from visual problems (which he is about to start therapy for). Spelling isn't too great, but I wonder if I did something like Phonetic Zoo or something with him to fill in the gaps where he has problems??? Or is that more parts-to-whole?:confused: I know Sequential Spelling seems whole-to-parts, but I don't like that it doesn't talk about the rules at ALL (plus I don't have time to go through SS with him...we used to use it).

Wait! Maybe Spelling Power?????????? Just so I can concentrate on the words he doesn't know vs. the ones he does? And then fill in the spelling rules as we come across problems?????

Math...he's just about ready to start Pre-Algebra. I am strongly considering putting him in Lial's BCM with my 8th grader, just so they can both fill in any gaps and then proceed onto Pre-Algebra. Might this be an OK fit? I KIND of think so since he seems to do great with whatever math he uses. (Math is his thing LOL.)

I don't know, but I've found with my guys that I need to do parts-to-whole sequential instruction for things like phonics or spelling. I recently switched from Sequential Spelling to Rod and Staff. It has the rules-focused instruction that my son needs. In general though I'm still trying to figure things out. I tried a whole-to-parts language arts program this year thinking it would be a great fit and it wasn't. Turns out my kid needs sequential instruction in certain subjects.

I don't know, but I've found with my guys that I need to do parts-to-whole sequential instruction for things like phonics or spelling. I recently switched from Sequential Spelling to Rod and Staff. It has the rules-focused instruction that my son needs. In general though I'm still trying to figure things out. I tried a whole-to-parts language arts program this year thinking it would be a great fit and it wasn't. Turns out my kid needs sequential instruction in certain subjects.

That makes a LOT of sense. He seems to do fine with parts-to-whole, which is what we've been using all his life. Not sure why I'm trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. Maybe I'm just trying to find more "efficient" for him???? No clue LOL.

However, for the sake of grins LOL, what did you use for LA that didn't work?

That makes a LOT of sense. He seems to do fine with parts-to-whole, which is what we've been using all his life. Not sure why I'm trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. Maybe I'm just trying to find more "efficient" for him???? No clue LOL.

However, for the sake of grins LOL, what did you use for LA that didn't work?

MCT

He enjoyed the stories and seemed to learn from them, but when it came time to do sentence analysis the concepts hadn't sunk in. And the writing assignments were too open ended. I found out that he does better with a step by step process of writing.

I think in general subjects that are more "parts" in nature like spelling, phonics, and grammar require a part to whole instruction method for my kids. For more content based subjects that discuss ideas and concepts like science, reading, history, geography, and some parts of math my kids seem to do well with a whole to parts instruction method. Which means that I delve deep and give them more difficult concepts and in so doing they tend to learn easier ones. That doesn't work for things like phonics or spelling - at least with my kids. It seems like the digging deep and more difficult material catches their attention more and learning takes place.

Then again, I'm still figuring things out :tongue_smilie: