Menu

What would you wear to a reception with an ambassador?

If you could link photos, either from a catalogue or from your own closet :D, that would be helpful. Thank you!

What time of day is the reception?

Who is hosting (ie, a women's group, a professional org, an embassy)?

What country is the ambassador from?

Does the invitation say anything about attire (even if it is cryptic or mostly for men, like informal or business attire or dress uniform)

When I was regularly attending similar receptions, my standard outfits were a grey wool suit and a blue silk suit. The shirt under the suit depended on the time of day and the season. That was pretty standard for receptions (ie, an evening event with hors d'oeuvres or buffet) as opposed to a ball.

But there were a couple countries that were always more dress up than others. And one reception that we attended in Hawaii that included members of the local diplomatic community had people mostly in crisp aloha for men and nicer quality aloha dresses for women (nicer, but not formal aloha).

FWIW, there were many, many receptions that were evening affairs but were not formals. DH wore his service dress, which is at the same level as a quality suit. It is not what he would have worn if a tux were appropriate. I didn't wear long dresses unless it was to a ball. Having said that, the Indian spouses always came off as being a couple pegs dressier than we were, because their saris were of such lovely material. So you might want to take the local approach to color and fabric in mind (In other words, my charcol gray wool suit would probably not be what you want. But my blue suit, with something really lively as a shirt, might be.)

Also, if you are thinking of a shorter skirt, what is normal for where you live. Would you be the only woman showing your legs or would it be in the realm of what is normal?

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
Just noticed location

It's black-tie for the men, right? That would dictate a floor-length gown on you if it's after 6 P.M. (you could go tea-length in the afternoon).

:iagree:

Floor length. Not big-and-formal floor length, which is what you'd wear if it was white tie for men (white tie is the most formal; black tie is "informal," which does not mean "casual," BTW), but still floor length.

Some women will wear tea length (or shorter), but it is correct to wear floor length.

And it's an AMBASSADOR. Wow! Take the opportunity to make a big deal out of it. :)

Okay, but could you explain why, please?

A reception doesn't have to mean formal. You really need to look at what the event is and what info is given for attire on the invite.

The diplomatic community uses reception to mean many things, including evening functions for things like National Day or Armed Forces Day that are business attire oriented rather than formal.

To the OP, do you know anyone who has attended this event in the past? They can tell you a lot about what people were wearing, in particular people from the country hosting the event.

What time of day is the reception?

Who is hosting (ie, a women's group, a professional org, an embassy)?

What country is the ambassador from?

Does the invitation say anything about attire (even if it is cryptic or mostly for men, like informal or business attire or dress uniform)

When I was regularly attending similar receptions, my standard outfits were a grey wool suit and a blue silk suit. The shirt under the suit depended on the time of day and the season. That was pretty standard for receptions (ie, an evening event with hors d'oeuvres or buffet) as opposed to a ball.

But there were a couple countries that were always more dress up than others. And one reception that we attended in Hawaii that included members of the local diplomatic community had people mostly in crisp aloha for men and nicer quality aloha dresses for women (nicer, but not formal aloha).

FWIW, there were many, many receptions that were evening affairs but were not formals. DH wore his service dress, which is at the same level as a quality suit. It is not what he would have worn if a tux were appropriate. I didn't wear long dresses unless it was to a ball. Having said that, the Indian spouses always came off as being a couple pegs dressier than we were, because their saris were of such lovely material. So you might want to take the local approach to color and fabric in mind (In other words, my charcol gray wool suit would probably not be what you want. But my blue suit, with something really lively as a shirt, might be.)

Also, if you are thinking of a shorter skirt, what is normal for where you live. Would you be the only woman showing your legs or would it be in the realm of what is normal?

Excellent questions, Sebastien. It is an ambassador from a European country at a local consulate. Dh just saw the invitation this morning and it's for tomorrow night, 6:30 (he was abroad the last week and a half; it arrived at his office while he was gone). It's addressed to both of us, but he didn't think I'd want to go, so didn't tell me about it until late this afternoon. I went scrambling to the new, modern mall, but all the major shops are closed because of a garment strike. I could still buy something tomorrow morning, but it's going to be close, because I'll need a new dress and shoes, at the very least, and I have to leave by 2:30 to get there by 6, meet up with dh, and go in. It's really iffy now, but I would like to try.

Okay, we did go to something like this together last summer, but I didn't want to mention it, because it was pretty obvious that I was not dressed appropriately. And it wasn't just looking around and seeing nearly every other woman dressed up more than I was that told me that; the American woman ahead of me in line turned around, looked at my dress, and turned right back around. Ouch. Some women were in evening gowns (diplomats), some Indian women were in saris (I hope one day to have one, but I can't get one by tomorrow, and I've heard they take some getting used to), and most white women were wearing more formal dresses than I was (I was in a simple cotton frock - blush - yes, totally naive here), though one was in a dressy pantsuit.

Just talked to dh and he said it is business attire. I'm going to look for a knee-length black dress and black heels, maybe some new jewellery.

Yeah, I think it will be interesting, too, Ellie, especially as the crowd is almost guaranteed to be smaller than the huge one in the big city last year. I also have a friend I haven't seen in ages who is likely to be there.

Sebastien, thanks again for your questions. I don't want to make a fool of myself, especially in a place where my dh probably knows just about everyone.:blush:

What would I wear? Probably a pretty sweater and one of my long jean skirts - I have one that's kinda fancy with a bit of "ruffle" to it and it goes almost right to the ground. I'd have to go out and buy a pair of flats though, as I don't have any 'dressy' shoes - just sneakers, winter boots, and some crocs. I'd borrow some earrings from dd14, since I have holes but don't currently own any, and maybe a pretty wooden bangle too. :)

A reception doesn't have to mean formal. You really need to look at what the event is and what info is given for attire on the invite.

The diplomatic community uses reception to mean many things, including evening functions for things like National Day or Armed Forces Day that are business attire oriented rather than formal.

To the OP, do you know anyone who has attended this event in the past? They can tell you a lot about what people were wearing, in particular people from the country hosting the event.

Just talked to dh and he says not to worry, that my plans are fine, and seem like what women have worn to other similar events he has attended at the consulate. Otoh, he told me he thought I looked fine at the one we went to last summer. Geez, why am I listening to this guy? . . .

The purpose seems to be to bring the local expatriate business community together to promote that country's industry abroad. I don't really know more than that. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow night?

ETA: Dh is wearing a dark suit with a really nice red tie. I think we'll look nice together, if I can find the right dress, lol.

Edited by jld

What would I wear? Probably a pretty sweater and one of my long jean skirts - I have one that's kinda fancy with a bit of "ruffle" to it and it goes almost right to the ground. I'd have to go out and buy a pair of flats though, as I don't have any 'dressy' shoes - just sneakers, winter boots, and some crocs. I'd borrow some earrings from dd14, since I have holes but don't currently own any, and maybe a pretty wooden bangle too. :)

The one thing he said I couldn't wear was jeans, lol.

Just talked to dh and he said it is business attire. I'm going to look for a knee-length black dress and black heels, maybe some new jewellery.

I think a knee length black dress would be fine for an event that calls for business wear. A suit would be good too.

Is there a social secretary for the consulate? If there is, she would know exactly what is appropriate and many times is just a HUGE help when making these kinds of decisions.

Faith

:iagree:with this too.

Hope you can make it!

Is there a social secretary for the consulate? If there is, she would know exactly what is appropriate and many times is just a HUGE help when making these kinds of decisions.

Faith

That's a good idea, but I'm so pressed for time now. The consulate opens at 9, I think, the stores open at 10, and I have to leave around 2. Dh would have to call the consulate and find the person to talk to, and I'm sure he'll be busy, having been away for a week and a half. And I have to make sure the kids are squared away for the 10 or so hours I'll be gone. Thanks anyway, though. :)

Hope you can make it!

Thanks. It's really going to depend on what I can find to wear. I just don't want to feel as "inappropriately attired" as I did last year. If nothing else, I will start shopping now so that I have something ready for a future event, lol.

Thanks. It's really going to depend on what I can find to wear. I just don't want to feel as "inappropriately attired" as I did last year. If nothing else, I will start shopping now so that I have something ready for a future event, lol.

Basic wardrobe? Two suits (with skirt and pant options), a couple of "little black dresses" that can be dressed up or down depending on shoes and jewelry, and a long dress. Good luck and have fun shopping! :)

How exciting!!!!

Based on what you've said, I'd be more inclined to go with a tea length than knee length. That way if some women are wearing long, you won't be far off, and it's a little dressier than knee length. But I'm sure that you'll find something that will work great!

I want to hear all about this adventure!!! Totally cool!!! :D

And no matter what you find to wear, by all means GO!!! :)

Basic wardrobe? Two suits (with skirt and pant options), a couple of "little black dresses" that can be dressed up or down depending on shoes and jewelry, and a long dress. Good luck and have fun shopping! :)

You know the irony of all this, MM? Yesterday dd15 and I went shopping at a local dept. store. Just for fun, I started trying on several cute little black dresses, and even contemplated buying one. I was kind of amazed it fit, lol, because I haven't even tried that sort of thing on in, oh, I don't know, 16 years? I have been hanging out in Mom clothing since I started having children, lol. I decided not to buy it because it wasn't quite perfect (extra material at the back of the neck), and hey, it didn't seem like I needed anything. Then, not 24 hours later, I needed it, or something like it, and of course the clothes stores were closed, on this "garment tax strike". I have never even heard of such a thing, and of course it happened today!

A lovely scarf that can drape over your shoulders or around your neck can add a lot of flexibility.

You can always take the scarf off and tuck it into a purse if you don't need it.

Also keep in mind if the location will likely be air conditioned or not. There wasn't much ac in Germany, even in posh locations. So there were more bare arms than you might have seen with ac. On the other hand, I always froze in Hawaii because the ac was so high. I always tried to take a shawl with me to balls so I could cover up during the speeches and stay warm.

How exciting!!!!

Based on what you've said' date=' I'd be more inclined to go with a tea length than knee length. That way if some women are wearing long, you won't be far off, and it's a little dressier than knee length. But I'm sure that you'll find something that will work great!

I want to hear all about this adventure!!! Totally cool!!! :D

And no matter what you find to wear, by all means GO!!! :)[/quote']

Thanks, TM! If all else fails, and I just cannot find anything, I do have a sort of emergency outfit, once again, that I just found and bought yesterday, lol. It's a purple knee-length skirt, kind of crepe material (fashion know-nothing here, blush), with a flowery short-sleeved blouse with a matching frilly scarf. I feel beautiful in it (major blush!), but I would still like something a little more formal for this event.

To be honest, I think I'm mostly excited to do a grownup thing with dh. We're almost always with the kids, or at least I am, and to dress up and be with adults, sipping champagne and eating hors d'oeuvres, and, yes, speaking French, with people who make the newspapers, just sounds like something out of my normal, kids and diaper changes and runny noses life, lol.

Hi am so excited for the OP. I'd be excited for anyone of you that were invited for such an event. But, if I had to do it, the thought of shopping for a dress would be enough to send me to the funny farm in a "huggy coat".

And what is a garment tax strike?

Faith

A lovely scarf that can drape over your shoulders or around your neck can add a lot of flexibility.

You can always take the scarf off and tuck it into a purse if you don't need it.

Also keep in mind if the location will likely be air conditioned or not. There wasn't much ac in Germany, even in posh locations. So there were more bare arms than you might have seen with ac. On the other hand, I always froze in Hawaii because the ac was so high. I always tried to take a shawl with me to balls so I could cover up during the speeches and stay warm.

Great idea! If I find the black dress, dd told me just now that I can borrow a pretty cashmere shawl of hers . . .

That outfit sounds lovely. I bet you'll look great. I found that feeling comfortably pretty was a major part of being well dressed at functions. One of my favorite wives wore the same outfit to every event except formals. Yet she was probably the most beloved wife in the whole social circle because she was such a nice person.

Hi am so excited for the OP. I'd be excited for anyone of you that were invited for such an event. But, if I had to do it, the thought of shopping for a dress would be enough to send me to the funny farm in a "huggy coat".

And what is a garment tax strike?

Faith

I'm excited, too, Faith. You know, I've lost about 40 pounds since the birth of my last child (ds2) and shopping is finally fun again. I guess that's why I'm okay with a knee-length (okay, maybe I have something just a little shorter in mind - another blush, lol) dress. But it still has to look right, or I may default to the purple skirt.

From what we understood from the signs on the doors, the gov't. has imposed a 10% tax on sales of garments, and so all the dept. stores (Marks & Spencer, Lifestyle, Westside, & others) closed today in protest. I'm not really sure why, because people like me couldn't give them our money.

That outfit sounds lovely. I bet you'll look great. I found that feeling comfortably pretty was a major part of being well dressed at functions. One of my favorite wives wore the same outfit to every event except formals. Yet she was probably the most beloved wife in the whole social circle because she was such a nice person.

That is very comforting to hear, Sebastian.:) Thank you.

You know, I was so scared at that event last summer after the look down by the American in front of me in line (I'm pretty sure I saw her in a magazine here after that that caters to ex-pats --she's married to a European diplomat and the article said she really is a nice person, lol), and I was just kind of frozen next to dh for a half hour or so after that. But gradually people started to talk to me, and one very nice man really got into an in-depth conversation with me about homeschooling. Apparently he and his wife used to live in America, and he really wanted them to homeschool, but she didn't. We had a great talk, and I'm sure he didn't care what I was wearing, lol. The evening ended up being very nice.:)

The one thing he said I couldn't wear was jeans, lol.

I wouldn't wear jeans either (I don't wear them at all anymore) ~ this is a *skirt* and it's long & dressy with ruffle sorta things. :D

( looks kinda like this, but with a bit more ruffley flare stuff going on )

Thanks, TM! If all else fails, and I just cannot find anything, I do have a sort of emergency outfit, once again, that I just found and bought yesterday, lol. It's a purple knee-length skirt, kind of crepe material (fashion know-nothing here, blush), with a flowery short-sleeved blouse with a matching frilly scarf. I feel beautiful in it (major blush!), but I would still like something a little more formal for this event.

To be honest, I think I'm mostly excited to do a grownup thing with dh. We're almost always with the kids, or at least I am, and to dress up and be with adults, sipping champagne and eating hors d'oeuvres, and, yes, speaking French, with people who make the newspapers, just sounds like something out of my normal, kids and diaper changes and runny noses life, lol.

I can only imagine how excited you must be! Just a thought, if the major stores aren't open, maybe the best hotels would have a dress shop, or the concierge might have a suggestion on where to go.

Enjoy every minute of the evening!!! :)

Oh, duh. I bet it's a Mardi Gras party. Boy, do I feel dumb. Then again, why wouldn't they have just said that on the invitation?

Well, we'll see. I'm still going with my original shopping plan, and I'm leaving now!:)

Thanks for all the good wishes! I'll let you know how it goes!:)

:lol:

Talk about duh ... I was looking for this thread to ask you how the evening went, but I didn't expect to see you yet as it's only past 11PM here. Well ... duh ... time might be slightly different in India. :tongue_smilie: I hope you find something perfect and have an awesome evening - Mardi Gras or not. :)

Let us know what you find!!! :) We can live an exciting life vicariously. :lol:

Oh, duh. I bet it's a Mardi Gras party. Boy, do I feel dumb. Then again, why wouldn't they have just said that on the invitation?

Well, we'll see. I'm still going with my original shopping plan, and I'm leaving now!:)

Thanks for all the good wishes! I'll let you know how it goes!:)

Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went. I'll bet you looked great.

Giggle, giggle. I had a great time. I plan to do a long post on it, but I have to go get groceries right now (just got up, it's mid-morning, kids tell me they want to eat today and there's no food in the house).

Thanks for your interest!:D

Giggle, giggle. I had a great time. I plan to do a long post on it, but I have to go get groceries right now (just got up, it's mid-morning, kids tell me they want to eat today and there's no food in the house).

Thanks for your interest!:D

I'm glad it was fun. Don't forget to come back and dish details later.