Menu

Searching for bibles and...

mommy4ever

Next fall, when school starts, I want each of the girls to have their own bibles. I currently have the NIrV Adventure Bible that we use, it's fantastic, easy to understand. But it looks little kiddish for the 12 and 14 yo.

I am also considering a family bible study for us girls at home. Not sure how the guys will feel about it, I'd love for them to be involved too. Any recommendation?

I got this one for my daughter a month ago and we both love it. I love that it's a real bible but within it it has sections that re-tells a story and then asks key questions about what has been read.

It says it for ages 5 - 10 but I think it can definitely go older than 10.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=524499&event=CF

This is the one that I just got for my son.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=seek+find+cev+the+bible+for+all+people&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACGW_enUS376US376&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4762914578264973460&sa=X&ei=8fdyTdeSEsTOgAeonZiTCA&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

It is the Contemporary English Version. It is the first version that he's just picked up and started reading on his own and didn't have to ask me, "Mommy, what does ______ mean?" I thought that was a good sign, so I bought him, his own. He had asked me to get him The Message, but I prefer a translation, so I was glad that we found one we could both agree on.;)

Is there a reason that they need a NIrV Bible, like severe dyslexia? I'd just use the NIV; it's also very clear, but there are many other easy to read and understand translations.

No we don't need one that is NIrV, that is simply the one we have currently. They do like to use it for the plain language it uses.

I'll find the local Christian bookstore and go take a snoop :) I never thought of that. And we do have one! Woohoo!

I would take them to the Christian bookstore and let them pick out their own Bible. I would go with the NIV--my older 3 boys use it without difficulty.

:iagree:

When my girls were baptized, my mom got them NIV Bibles in large print. They like them and get upset when I try to use a different version for memorizing a passage. :) Did you know that there is an updated version of NIV, copyright 2010? I know this because sometimes I print out passages from Biblegateway.com and they are different than our older NIV versions. :glare:

Anyhoo, I think your girls are old enough to choose a Bible for themselves. I think they would feel more personally connected to it then, don't you?