Menu

Second try! Hands-on for weather teaching? Anyone?

Kate CA

We just finished studying weather in BJU science 5. The four main sections of the chapter were atmosphere, moving air, moisture in the air and severe weather. The best part of the study was making weather instruments. At the end of the chapter they have the kids set up an out door weather station and record data for 15 days. My kids love this!

Maybe you could get some library books that have some simple experiments and directions for making weather instruments. They probably would have some great videos too.

For the experiments we made and used a barometer (atmosphere section), looked at movement from cold to hot using ice, hot water and food coloring (moving air section), looked at temperature changes in soil vs water (moving air), form a cloud with hot water and ice (moisture section) and demonstrated a tornado vortex w/ 2L soda bottles and glitter (severe weather).

HTH.

My World Science has a great unit on weather with hands on experiments. It's in the Weather, Astronomy, Oceans & Coral Reefs Unit. I think folks said Rainbow Resource still has some in stock. I did this with my 2nd grader this fall and she loved it. We charted weather conditions made measuring tools, posters, etc.

A book I LOVED from a weather study we did was Weather Detectives. It might be a little on the older end for what you are wanting, but it is loaded with information. I checked it out from our library when we used it. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

And yes, Jessica's cloud poster is GREAT! I would of had the kids make that if I would have seen it before we were done with our study.

Oh we used Hands of a Child Extreme Weather lapbook & for my kindergarten, I used their In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb lapbook.~Tina

Ok that is just so strange... I promise I am not following you Lisa... LOL But every time I post, you have posted right before me. :D And when I went to post, your post wasn't there! Too funny!

I guess the saying Great Minds Think A Like is happening right in front of our eyes! :)

~Tina

A book I LOVED from a weather study we did was Weather Detectives. It might be a little on the older end for what you are wanting, but it is loaded with information. I checked it out from our library when we used it. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

~Tina

I love the look of that book! Not that we need more books but...

Thank you!