Menu

How many here use the Harris County Public Library system?

I'm telling you - every time a book or video is recommended on these boards, if I don't get to the library website RIGHT AWAY and request it, I get stuck behind a line of people who have recently submited holds. Every. Single. Time.

I find it hard to believe this is a coincidence! LOL

Just curious... this trend is growing... titles recommended on these boards are getting harder and harder to obtain at the library because of the wait list. Are there really that many people reading these boards who use the same library as me? LOL

P.S. I'm not complaining... I think it's kind of funny. :) When you get your title depends on how you stay on top of the boards and how fast you can type! LOL

I go there every week (BB).

How can you tell if the holds are recent or not?

Well, when you look up a book, you can see its status which is either checked in, checked out, in transit (when someone from another branch has requested the book), or on hold.

When you request a book, the book is usually pulled from the shelf within a day or so by a library employee and placed in the hold section (or sent to the requesting branch). If you request a book that has copies on the shelf (status is checked in), yet find that others are ahead of you in the que line, you know that those requests are recent. If reuqests outnumber the available copies of the books, and if the requests were old, then there would be no copies of the book on the shelf - available copies would have been pulled to fulfill the hold requests. Am I making any sense?

Hey, good luck getting to your 50 posts. I'd be happy to discuss something with you to help out! :) How do you like the Barbara Bush library? Our violin teacher lives in that area and we go to it occassionally... I really like the Meyer park area and I love the Centrum. I saw Joshua Bell perform there! Awesome!!

Welcome to the boards!

Robin

Oh, thanks for the explaination about recent holds. That makes sense.

Thanks for the offer to help me get to 50 posts. I actually don't have

anything to sell yet as I'm just starting this journey. However, having

that requirement somehow makes me feel like I'm a second class citizen

until I meet that requirement.

I've only been to the Barbara Bush library a few times.

I love their picture book area and how they display the kids books.

I usually go to Baldwin Boetcher, which isn't nearly as nice, but it is closer,

and we've developped a good relationship with the children's librarian.

The children's section is really nice and librarians are very helpful. My kids are always asking them questions and they are so nice and patient.

I used Katherine Tyra branch in the past when we lived down there and the librarians were always nice there, too. I'm very impressed with the HCPL system.

The two branches that I use are the one in Tomball and the one on Barker Cypress. Both of them are on the campus of the community college - Tomball's is nice because it has a drive through :), and Barker Cypress is nice because it's open on Sunday afternoons. Very convenient!

I agree, Barbara Bush branch is very nicely done.