Menu

I know I'll regret asking about summer camp,

but here goes.

My dd has been to a great Christian camp for a week and she loved it. I've been researching and have found several other "less known" camps that are cheaper and closer to me. One of them said the following, paraphrased: We screen all employees with a police check, provide a week of training and have rules and regulations as to the operating procedures of camp; these lower the risk of potential abuse. If an abuser is identified, they will lose their position.

Ok, that's great. I'm assuming the law would also be involved. But what are the actual odds of something terrible happening?

I don't know why I'm posting this. I don't know what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just wanting her to go to a different camp but it scares me. Do you think camp fits under the category of "you get what you pay for"?

I think in some respects, you get what you pay for. A less expensive camp might have hiking instead of horseback riding, or the menu might be more limited.

But when it comes to potential for abuse, it is as likely to occur in one setting as another, regardless of the cost of the program. (Sorry. I'm just Sally Sunshine, aren't I?)

That said, I'd send a mature child to a sleepover camp if I thought the program was a good match. The odds of something terrible happening are small.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: It stinks that we mamas have to even think about this stuff, doesn't it?

Cat

I think in some respects, you get what you pay for. A less expensive camp might have hiking instead of horseback riding, or the menu might be more limited.

But when it comes to potential for abuse, it is as likely to occur in one setting as another, regardless of the cost of the program. (Sorry. I'm just Sally Sunshine, aren't I?)

Cat

I agree.

No, I don't think the cost is necessarily a reflection of the camp quality. My ds was 7 when we sent him to day camp at a nationally regarded Christian center which touts camper safety, and their hiring of "the best" college students.

The staff interacted with the kids as little as possible, preferring to sit around and talk to each other. Kids were bullied. My son was trapped under a raft while swimming, and while only two kids were allowed in the water at a time (bladder jumping), no one noticed he was missing. He was terrified he was drowning, finally rescuing himself. It took him a few years to get over that.

I called the next morning, explaining why he was not coming back. They begged for one more chance. As if . . .

:rant:

Sorry. It still really bothers me.

I do not think that a less expensive camp increases the likelihood that your child is at risk for anything. I'd get personal referrals from people you trust, or at least agree with how they are raising their children.

Are they certified through ACA or something similar? This is a case, for me, where the certification means something. However, my girls have gone to an all girls camp, and my oldest boy an all boys' camp for the last few years. I Went to camp for years and never had or heard of anything remotely bad happening. Strangely enough, all the not so great stuff I've heard of happening or have seen happen, was at church camps.

but here goes.

My dd has been to a great Christian camp for a week and she loved it. I've been researching and have found several other "less known" camps that are cheaper and closer to me. One of them said the following, paraphrased: We screen all employees with a police check, provide a week of training and have rules and regulations as to the operating procedures of camp; these lower the risk of potential abuse. If an abuser is identified, they will lose their position.

Ok, that's great. I'm assuming the law would also be involved. But what are the actual odds of something terrible happening?

I don't know why I'm posting this. I don't know what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just wanting her to go to a different camp but it scares me. Do you think camp fits under the category of "you get what you pay for"?

I know a lot of people who have been repeat attendees at a particular camp, going from camper to junior staff to senior staff. In fact, the retreat center we go to is infamous for being a place where staffers meet future spouses.

So you might want to consider if a particular camp is a place where you can see your family returning year after year.

One other thought is that if your church is sending a group to a particular camp, there might be a payoff to your child attending there. I remember that a lot of the friendships I had with youth group members, especially who attended other high schools, were formed at camp and retreats.

That said, I'd send a mature child to a sleepover camp if I thought the program was a good match. The odds of something terrible happening are small.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: It stinks that we mamas have to even think about this stuff, doesn't it?

Cat

Excellent point about the menu and activities. Thank you!

I agree.
Thanks!

No, I don't think the cost is necessarily a reflection of the camp quality. My ds was 7 when we sent him to day camp at a nationally regarded Christian center which touts camper safety, and their hiring of "the best" college students.

The staff interacted with the kids as little as possible, preferring to sit around and talk to each other. Kids were bullied. My son was trapped under a raft while swimming, and while only two kids were allowed in the water at a time (bladder jumping), no one noticed he was missing. He was terrified he was drowning, finally rescuing himself. It took him a few years to get over that.

I called the next morning, explaining why he was not coming back. They begged for one more chance. As if . . .

:rant:

Sorry. It still really bothers me.

I do not think that a less expensive camp increases the likelihood that your child is at risk for anything. I'd get personal referrals from people you trust, or at least agree with how they are raising their children.

Your poor son! That sounds horrible! I don't blame you for not sending him back! Thank you for mentioning the referrals, I will be asking around. :001_smile:

Are they certified through ACA or something similar? This is a case, for me, where the certification means something. However, my girls have gone to an all girls camp, and my oldest boy an all boys' camp for the last few years. I Went to camp for years and never had or heard of anything remotely bad happening. Strangely enough, all the not so great stuff I've heard of happening or have seen happen, was at church camps.
Gosh, I have no idea about any certification. :confused:

I know a lot of people who have been repeat attendees at a particular camp, going from camper to junior staff to senior staff. In fact, the retreat center we go to is infamous for being a place where staffers meet future spouses.

So you might want to consider if a particular camp is a place where you can see your family returning year after year.

One other thought is that if your church is sending a group to a particular camp, there might be a payoff to your child attending there. I remember that a lot of the friendships I had with youth group members, especially who attended other high schools, were formed at camp and retreats.

Sebastian, thank you, that is a very valid point. Perhaps that alone is worth forking over the extra bucks. I know she'd love to be hired as a teen counsellor eventually. Thank you! :D

Actually I have found the cheaper ones are frequently cheaper because the workers passionately care about this ministry. Our camp has an all volunteer staff and it has a really strong group of 'repeat customers.' Some are now 3rd generation. I grew up going there and now work there and now my kids are just getting to the age of starting to work there. It does help to have a strong director that sees the need for training and safety.

Actually I have found the cheaper ones are frequently cheaper because the workers passionately care about this ministry. Our camp has an all volunteer staff and it has a really strong group of 'repeat customers.' Some are now 3rd generation. I grew up going there and now work there and now my kids are just getting to the age of starting to work there. It does help to have a strong director that sees the need for training and safety.

:iagree:We have a long association with Camp Awana in Fredonia, WI. All my older kids grew up attending. I was a leader. Many, many friends and friend's kids have been leaders and campers. It's a wonderful place with mostly volunteer leaders. The camp has a long history and I've never heard a bad story come out of it. When my kids went, it was only $150 for the entire week, everything included. Now it is $290. We LOVE camp Awana.

http://www.campawana2011.com/

:iagree:We have a long association with Camp Awana in Fredonia, WI. All my older kids grew up attending. I was a leader. Many, many friends and friend's kids have been leaders and campers. It's a wonderful place with mostly volunteer leaders. The camp has a long history and I've never heard a bad story come out of it. When my kids went, it was only $150 for the entire week, everything included. Now it is $290. We LOVE camp Awana.

http://www.campawana2011.com/

Ours is under $100! We are in Montana and actually have kids come from out of state it is so cheap.