Menu

Science for prospective fine-arts major

I'm thinking ahead to next year. My 16 year old did Exploring Creation with Biology last year. He is behind in math so we skipped chemistry and are exploring envirnomental science issues. What do I do for next year?

He has an exceptional talent for acting and singing and will very likely get a scholarship in voice or theater. His second choice would be history or some other humanities type course of study. He is not a math and science guy by any stretch of the imagination!!! I think chemistry will bore him out of his mind (and he probably won't score well). Physics might be okay, since it is more visual.

How much science does he need? We are in Texas and don't have to turn anything in, so I can create our own curriculum, which I guess means I can make a course what I want.

Does anyone else have a child who went into the arts for college? What do they need for admissions and college readiness?

Thanks!

Wendy

I was a music major. I tool Biology and Chemistry in high school and that was it. I am also in Texas. You could do some kind of Geology class using Teaching Company or something. I had to have Biology ( or maybe it was just one science class) in college as a music major. My ACT score was high enough to place out of Biology. So I didn't have to take any science in college. HOORAY. I hate science. I would check the schools that he is interested in. Look at the courses for his major. What sciences are required. Then take one of those in high school so he is prepared for the college one. Most colleges want a minimum of 2 years and many 3 of high school science.

Christine

Since he's into fine arts, what about Acoustics? One of the best college classes I took was a Physics class designed for music majors that went into building acoustics, instrument design, and similar subjects. It also qualifies as about the single most USEFUL science course I took in either high school or college.

Another option, if you can get it, is that the American Chemical Society, years back, put together a textbook called "Chemistry in the Community". It was designed to be a chemistry class for non-STEMS people, and focused on the chemistry needed to be an informed consumer, understand news articles, and so on. I believe that the title still exists, but that since many states now require exit testing, they had to rewrite the class to meet those standards, which makes it a MUCH less useful class, but if you can get the older book, it's a good course.

Another idea...The History of Science by Joy Hakim. There are three books in the series and they have activity books to go along with them. My 14 yo is currently enjoying the first one. They may be a little on the young side, but you could do all three in a year. There are experiments and such in the activity guide. FWIW, my 16 yo (who currently works at a science museum, is taking Chemistry at home AND listening to The Joy of Science lecture series by the Teaching Company as an elective) thinks that these books are excellent and he's trying to find the time to read them, as well as all the other science that he lives and breathes : ).

Just a caution--I went to college fully intending to major in art or English. I had a horrible math and science background going in (had to take algebra I and geometry twice and got a D in algebra II; no chemistry or physics, just biology, marine biology, and botany). This background would have been just fine for an art or English major, but I ended up majoring in biochemistry. Having a more solid math and science education in high school would have been most helpful.

I would ensure that he has a rigorous, well-rounded high school education without regard to what you think he might major in in college. You never know what's going to happen.

EKS,

That's the scary part, not wanting to short change him on the sciences in case he does change his mind. I know it could happen, although I think at this point it is not likely. If he does do something with science it probably would be something in the field of biology. I have my eye out for a cc college homeschool lab biology course that was taught last year (but not this). If they do it again, I may have him take it and just repeat biology. I think it would be very cool to do a lab class at a college with all the equipment!

If he does do something with science it probably would be something in the field of biology.

If he does major in biology or a related field, he will have to take general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics at a minimum. Having exposure in high school to these subjects would be helpful.

I'm having the opposite problem. My son is almost certain to major in physics or engineering. So I'm insisting that he get a well rounded education in the humanities in high school and he's not thrilled about it.