Menu

How many of YOU (parents) know how to diagram??!!

krwsmum

I am kind of a grammar junkie. Would it be wrong to say I actually like diagramming sentences? :tongue_smilie: :lol: I am an ABeka graduate and can diagram in my sleep. It really did help me though, in college English comp classes, grad school, and especially in learning a second language, and now teaching my kids. I feel like I have a great grasp of the English language and I think diagramming allowed me to understand the intricacies of a sentence. :001_smile:

I went to a private high school. I was taught to diagram and it came pretty easily to me. All of my kids can do it, three are great at it, one struggles a bit but isn't too shabby. Dh, on the other hand, refused to pay attention to such things as grammar and can't tell the difference between an adjective or an adverb. He grins about this!

Faith

I did a little diagramming throughout my schooling, but not enough! The bulk of diagramming experience came from taking Advanced Grammar in college. It is the one class in college in which I truly had to work. I can imagine if I hadn't had it, I'd feel very inadequate to teach my kids as they entered the logic or rhetoric years.

I learned diagramming in a little elementary Catholic school in rural Wisconsin. I loved it! I can't wait to refresh my diagramming skills when I teach my daughter. We're going to start next month. I know my daughter is going to dig diagramming.

I learned how to diagram simple stuff 3 years ago- along with the parts of speech. I'd written a Master's thesis in the 90's without having a clue about what a conjunction was (really).

I love WWE because it is a gentle intro.

I also really like Nancy Wilson's book: Our Mother Tongue. I learned to diagram with that book.

Just a word of encouragement. I've taught writing to high schoolers who know far more about grammar than I do. It's o.k. not to know everything when you teach. In fact, your students will LOVE teaching you stuff! And if they know you are learning right along with them, it builds solidarity.

My 11 yo and I spent an hours yesterday diagramming 20 sentences. It was a blast. He knew stuff I ddn't know and vice versa. We were really working together. At the end of the lesson he kissed me and said, "thank-you, Mommy" I'm pretty sure he wasn't thanking me for knowing so much, but thanking me becasue we were having so much fun and it was undivided attention for him.

It's cool for your kids to see you humble and excited about learning. It teaches them that you are never too old to learn new stuff! (and believe me, I'm probably one of the oldest mom's on the k-8 board!)

I did diagramming in Honor's English 7th-10th grades. I don't specifically remember it in 11th-12th, which was American Lit and English Lit. We did our vocab workbooks but I really don't remember much English work those last two years.