Menu

Favorite Timelines?

Twinmom

I've been looking longingly at the KnowledgeQuest 10 ft timelines, but the reality is that I don't have room for them in my classroom! I've got so many windows and doors in here that they just won't fit. Can the hive mine help me come up with some other ideas? I've toyed with both the MOH style handmade one, as well as some bound versions, but I can't decide what would work out the best. Decisions, decisions... :D

What have you all used and why did you like it? What works best for little bitties, as mine are 5-8? Thanks for your thoughts!

I've just ordered A Timeline for All Time. I've seen it years ago and loved the idea of it. It is pretty simple but has so many illustrations that come with it. There is even a place where they can add their own life in the timeline. It goes through year 2029 I believe. I don't know how to add links:tongue_smilie: I'm sorry but if you go to www.atimelineforalltime.com you can check it out. For really little ones you can also go to www.donnayoung.org and she has some free wonderful ideas for keeping a timeline with scrapbooks and just adding the lines in yourself. You can also get beautiful illustrations on cd to print out and add at www.holdthatthought.com You can just print out whoever and they can cut the pictures out and add them to the timeline.

I hope that helps some:)

I know you don't have room for it in the classroom but would you be willing to put it someplace else? We have the KnwledgeQuest 10 foot timeline. I love it, and so do the kids. We have it on the wall going up our staircase. it is just about the only place in our house where it will fit. I find the 6 year old on the stairs almost daily, stoppnig to look at it and asking questions too. They see it everytime they go upstairs, I actually really like it there!:001_smile:

and have no school room. We school in the DR and do not have enough wall space to put a timeline up. Although it would be a nice visual reminder to have a wall timeline, I've gone to using a timeline book. I use the one from Homeschool in the Woods along with their timeline figures. We live in an old 1890's bungalow and there really isn't any room to put one up with all the doors and windows we have! :)

This is unforetunately not a very good picture, but it gives you an idea of our timeline. It is up on the wall above the desk in our study. It's about 6 feet wide and 3.5 feet high.

post-723-13535082574219_thumb.jpg

I made it myself and you can find a template at this yahoo group.

The lines are arranged on wall in a triangle, starting with a Prehistory strip right at the left-hand bottom and then two strip for the years 3099 to 3000 and 2999 to 2900 on the next line. There are two centuries (with strips of different colours) to a line for the BC years going up to the year 0 at the top. The AD lines go from 0 at the top to 2000 at the bottom. There are two centuries per line going down to 1499 and from there is a century per line going on - as there are more events in those years.

You could make the timeline "thinner" and "taller" if you only put one century per line - starting from the floor and going up. You could also use the strips to build a timeline going up the stairs in a step-wise fashion (with year 0 on the landing).

I hope this makes sense!

post-723-13535082574219_thumb.jpg

I know you don't have room for it in the classroom but would you be willing to put it someplace else? We have the KnwledgeQuest 10 foot timeline. I love it, and so do the kids. We have it on the wall going up our staircase. it is just about the only place in our house where it will fit. I find the 6 year old on the stairs almost daily, stoppnig to look at it and asking questions too. They see it everytime they go upstairs, I actually really like it there!:001_smile:

Wow, fantastic idea! I never thought of that. I've got a great place on the back stairwell where we could put it! The stairwell runs up from the classroom to their rooms. Thanks for the suggestion!

We live in an old 1890's bungalow and there really isn't any room to put one up with all the doors and windows we have! :)

That's my problem, too! I'm in an old 1940s cottage style house with tons of windows and doors. Our classroom is in the old den...what's cool about it is that I have an awesome fireplace, a door to the outside playset, and stairs directly to the kids' rooms. What's not cool about it is that I have three doors and tons of windows...thus, very little wall space! I like the idea of a timeline on the wall, but need some options so that I don't have to block a window!

That's my problem, too! I'm in an old 1940s cottage style house with tons of windows and doors. Our classroom is in the old den...what's cool about it is that I have an awesome fireplace, a door to the outside playset, and stairs directly to the kids' rooms. What's not cool about it is that I have three doors and tons of windows...thus, very little wall space! I like the idea of a timeline on the wall, but need some options so that I don't have to block a window!

We just can't have everything, can we? Personally, I'd take the awesome fireplace over a wall timeline anyday! :)

We use plain white cardstock and paste pictures on it that I've googled. The boys write the date and a sentence or two about the picture. I tape them together with clear packing tape so we can take it down and fold it up accordion-style. However, right now it is taped along the top of our schoolroom right under the ceiling. So far we have one for Ancients and one for Middle Ages. By the time we finish all 4 volumes of SOTW, it will go all the way around the room!

I love the way it looks with a hodge-podge of pictures and writing!

:001_smile:

Nancy