Menu

Aw man. Pass the bad mommy award. I just gave a laxative...

to a child who then walked to the bathroom 10 minutes later with terrible diarrhea :crying: Based on everything I knew, I was sure the stomach pains were constipation. Now what do I do? Tomorrow is going to be a bad day :(

As crazy as it sounds, diarrhea does not mean there isn't constipation. No graphic details, but it isn't uncommon for this to happen.

What Renee said.

And at least it wasn't an enema.

Do you have any idea how much screaming kicking and fighting a 6 year will give over having to have an enema? It makes you feel like the worst parents (bc there is no way I could have done it on my own) ever even though it is not an option to not do it per drs orders and you know it is truly necessary..:crying:

:grouphug:

don't beat yourself up, I did this once to myself. I have to take iron pills and do get constipated. I learned this lesson..

laxatives=bad, stool softener=good.

they make gentle stool softeners for kids, I've had good results from ones with natural ingredients. Sorry for your little one, it's not fun.

As crazy as it sounds, diarrhea does not mean there isn't constipation. No graphic details, but it isn't uncommon for this to happen.

This is what I keep telling myself *sigh* It has been a problem in the past, so maybe... Well, who couldn't use a good cleanout every once in awhile, right?

What Renee said.

And at least it wasn't an enema.

I live in terror of this day ever coming. I really do. I've never had one, I've never given one, and they scare the bejeepers out of me. My mommy will have to come over and do it. She's not afraid of anything! I know sometimes they're necessary, I totally get that. I just don't ever want to have to do it. Please don't make me!

don't beat yourself up, I did this once to myself. I have to take iron pills and do get constipated. I learned this lesson..

laxatives=bad, stool softener=good.

they make gentle stool softeners for kids, I've had good results from ones with natural ingredients. Sorry for your little one, it's not fun.

Yes, you are right. That was actually my first thought, but we are out (let's just say I had a bad "bounce back" experience after my recent tangle with a stomach bug). I even went back and forth between the natural, slow-acting lax for kids and the Dulcolax, and decided just to go ahead and git 'er done. I suck :(

I truly don't know what to do with this kid. She's been suffering for weeks, and has bouts of stomach pain where she's crying in pain. I finally called the doc today, and the nurse told me exactly what I'd been thinking and what everyone's been telling me: Stomach viruses can take weeks to really go away. I feel like, if I bring her in, they're going to press her tummy, tell me she doesn't have appendicitis, take our $35, and send us home.