Menu

I'm all kerbobled about 7th grade plans

I've been processing what to do for next year for my up an coming 7th grader, and now I'm all kerbobled. K12 has been working well for us, mainly because the virtual academy makes us get our lessons done, and I like the quality of the curriculum. Next year, however, my dd will be in 7th grade, and her Orchestra class is 5 days per week, in the middle of the day, at the local middle school, which is a couple (three or four) miles away. So, dh & I met with the Principal and we found out that we can put her in half time school next year, no problem. So, I get a choice of 2 classes + Orchestra at the local middle school, then we do the other 2-3 classes here at home. I decided that Science and Math would be the best to have at the local b&m, because of the science projects and the convenience of having that at the school and not here at home. Also, math with a teacher sounds lovely. So, that's worked out in my mind.

What's not worked out in my mind is history, literature, and language arts (grammar, writing, word study). I want to squish all these into 2 hours, but I'm thinking that's not possible. I love the K12 history, which is Human Odyssey Vol. 1 next year (ancients). So, I want to do that. Now, how to squish literature, and all the language arts "stuff" into 1 hour. :confused: I was thinking about maybe doing some books that line up with the time period (WTM style) for literature. I don't really need a curriculum for that. K12 history has writing assignments, so I think I can officially skip any other writing. I think we'll do Vocabulary from the Classical Roots for word study/spelling vocab. Now for grammar. I would love something that was just like 15 mins a day that was rigorous, like just diagramming, with a little explanation. We've done lots and lots of grammar all ready, so I'm thinking just reinforcement w/ diagramming would be enough. I was also tinkering with the idea of doing Latin instead of English grammar and vocab/word study.

As you can tell if you read this far, I'm kerbobled and rambling. If anyone has any wisdom to toss my way, please help. This is my first pass through middle school (i.e. logic stage). I really don't know where to go with it.

So you need English that will fit into an hour period? That might be difficult. Also if Human Odyssey has writing assignments do you feel like that's enough? Does she need writing instruction as well? The longer we are in middle school, the more I see the need to build a strong foundation in writing.

If you need other English components to fit into that one hour I would not chose Latin. Latin, on a good day, can take 30 minutes. We budget an hour just for Latin.

Does she do free reading as well? If you truly only have an hour I would assign reading at another time and then discuss it during class time.

So you need English that will fit into an hour period? That might be difficult. Also if Human Odyssey has writing assignments do you feel like that's enough? Does she need writing instruction as well? The longer we are in middle school, the more I see the need to build a strong foundation in writing.

If you need other English components to fit into that one hour I would not chose Latin. Latin, on a good day, can take 30 minutes. We budget an hour just for Latin.

Does she do free reading as well? If you truly only have an hour I would assign reading at another time and then discuss it during class time.

OK, Latin is out. We certainly don't have enough time for that. She probably won't do free reading as well. This year she does about 1 hour of reading, which is assigned to her, novels or Classics for Young Readers. She might read some stuff on her own, but I don't schedule it out. Yeah, she reads the American Girl books, the Bible, etc. on her own, but I don't really keep track of that.

The history has writing assignments, so I'm thinking that I will use those to a higher quality than adding another writing component and "rush through" the history assignments. So, taking more time with the history writing, and maybe adding an additional paper or two associated with a novel.

I just don't think I can squish this all into 2 hours, which I was hoping for. I was hoping we could get done by 4:00, including her homework from math & science. I think this is just dreaming. I think we're going to have to add an hour to our school day. :confused:

Do you have any idea of the schedule----as in what time will she have to be at the school and when will orchestra be finished? If school starts later, perhaps you could do one subject before you need to leave.

Yeah, that's a good question. Duh. I just e-mailed the Principal. :D

We have enjoyed Lightning Lit 7 this year. It's easy to break down into smaller chunks/exercises that you can fit in. On days you can't do something long, it's still easy to find something in the unit that can be managed in 5-10 minutes, or in the car on the way to orchestra. Hewitt Homeschooling sells it.