Menu

What have you done to your house to make it

Easier to homeschool or more organized? Recently I'm making my house more "practicle" I brought my laundry room out of the basement and moved it to the room next to my school room. Also I made a command center. I painted a door to our basement with chalkboard paint. Everyday I write chores on it or other reminders for the kids. So I was wondering what others have done to their house?

Well, I don't really have the money to make any structural changes, but I did give up a decorative baker's rack beside the table where we were doing a lot of school. I had wanted to keep the area looking pretty, but I realized if it was going to be my schoolroom, it would serve better to actually look like we did school there. I put bookshelves there instead. I also put bookshelves down almost a whole wall in our garage for my resources or curricula not in use.

When I was considering homeschooling, one concern I had was the space for the stuff. It was one of three things I prayed about to make my decision. When we moved in the house there was no linen closet. Our neighborhood was still being built, and my dad was here one day and went to look at houses being built. He said one just like our floor plan had a linen closet. He came home and saw where it should be and figured it was a mistake of the builder. He went back down and mentioned it to the people working. The builder came and offered to put our closet in for free. We had been in the house at least a year. Talk about an answer to prayer! I still use the closet for supplies (paper, folders, art, science, etc.).

I forgot to add that I did the filing system last summer for the whole school year. It was worked so well that I cannot wait to do it again. I'm trying to buy up as much curricula now as I can so I have all summer to have fun with it.

Edited by mom31257

I started using the workbox system. Not only does it work with the kids, but it also keeps everything in its place and organized. I got the 3 tier plastic drawers form walmart and I keep everything for each subject in the draw (books, workbooks, manipulatives) I put their assignment for the day on top. It has helped tremendously to keep the clutter down.

I moved the homeschool room downstairs to be closer to the kitchen. That way I can sneak out and start on lunch/snack/whatever. We got two 6 foot tables and put them in an L shape in the homechool room so that I can sit next to any of them to assist them. I purchased those used from Craigs list for $20 each : ) We got individual book shelves and small plastic container (shoe box size) for them to put thier individual things on. Three book shelves and the containers cost right at $100 at Wal-Mart. We got two larger book shelves for community books and my books. My husband installed shelving across the 6 foot closet to store all the random things in. In the closet we put back packs for co op, extra school supplies, craft supplies, copy paper, etc. We also removed the closet doors for easier access and to make putting things back easier. There is a computer in the room so that looking things up is easy for the kids and me. There is an 8 foot white board in the room....we all enjoy that. The school room is adjacent to a bathroom...that saves all of us time. I also like having it close to the family room so that we can break out and have some read aloud time on the couch. That is all I can think of for now.

When I was about to start out, I looked around for a room that could easily be used for double-duty. So our 'bonus room' that had a tv, xbox, and two computer desks. I took one desk and computer out of there, took out the tv and xbox, and set up a long table with chairs. That room now looks like a school room.

In addition, I cleared one shelf in my linens closet and put a lot of my bulky supplies and books in there.

I bought some clear plastic shoebox tubs to store items in. One for crafts, one for extra school supplies, one for DD math manipulatives, etc.

It's still a work in progress. Every few weeks or so I rearrange a thing or two here and there :)

I have posted pics of our schoolroom in the sunroom. I moved it to the sunroom about 2 years ago from the bonus room upstairs.

Well, we are now moving it again.

The schoolroom is now in the dining room, and the office will be moving in there too. It is a much larger room and doesn't get nearly as hot as the sunroom. The office will then be available to become a bedroom. It will also allow me to have the computers in the schoolroom and the kids can do some schooling on the computer.

Our basement is being finished and once that is complete some of my "mess" upstairs can be moved down there.

Dawn