Menu

How do you know if a pig is getting enough water?

When we first brought the pig home we had a water bowl for her that I filled multiple times a day. Well, our county extension office had a rain barrel class so I got a rain barrel and set it up with a hog nipple for the pig last week. The first 2 days I went out 4-5 times a day to show her where the water is now. The first day she seemed very thirsty every time, but by the second day she didn't seem as interested in it when I tried to guide her over there.

Fast forward to a week later: She seems the same as before we switched to the barrel and she is still eating well, but I have yet to see her actually drink from the nipple. She has no other source of water. Am I being paranoid? I read that pigs need to drink a lot of water and I don't want her to get dehydrated, especially since the weather is warming up.

Here's one of the benefits of homeschooling. Have the kids take turns on Monday watching from a distance to see if she's drinking. :) My guess is that she's learned how to use it and is doing fine. I think she'd be talking to you if she hadn't had anything to drink in a week. But then again, I'm not a pig person. :lol:

Here's one of the benefits of homeschooling. Have the kids take turns on Monday watching from a distance to see if she's drinking. :) My guess is that she's learned how to use it and is doing fine. I think she'd be talking to you if she hadn't had anything to drink in a week. But then again' date=' I'm not a pig person. :lol:[/quote']

Yup, have a kid watch till you see her use it. When you see her use it just one time, you're good. Also, if the water level goes down noticably just one time, your good. Pigs do dring a lot and you don't have to worry about them putting out the effort to get the water they need once they know where it is.

The water level isn't going down, but I have a leaky outdoor faucet and currently the hose is directing the leak into the barrel. So it should stay constantly full until the plumber arrives next week to fix it. I'll have ds monitor her tomorrow until she drinks. Thanks!

Well, if you can judge how a pig is doing by how much noise it makes, she's fine. :glare: I never knew pigs were so loud!

LOL!

Now, that makes me wonder even more where the Germans hid all their pigs. We lived there for 4 years and saw a lot of other animals, but never a pig. And, we ate a lot of pork schnitzel and so did a lot of other people. I always wondered where the pigs were, I never saw or heard one.

I hope your pig is just sneaky! Maybe you can get a pig cam.

LOL!

Now, that makes me wonder even more where the Germans hid all their pigs. We lived there for 4 years and saw a lot of other animals, but never a pig. And, we ate a lot of pork schnitzel and so did a lot of other people. I always wondered where the pigs were, I never saw or heard one.

I hope your pig is just sneaky! Maybe you can get a pig cam.

I just snorted my water when I read this! Not fair, making me life while taking a sip! :lol::lol: