Menu

The Swiss Family Robinson?

twoxcell

My kids are fascinated by the Swiss Family Robinson right now. They have been watching cartoons, and the Disney movie of it. My ds asked me if we could get the book to read, so I was searching for it online. I did not realize it had so many versions translated, and I have never read it myself. Is the book appropriate to read aloud to a 5, and 7 year old, and if so which version do I get?

My kids are fascinated by the Swiss Family Robinson right now. They have been watching cartoons, and the Disney movie of it. My ds asked me if we could get the book to read, so I was searching for it online. I did not realize it had so many versions translated, and I have never read it myself. Is the book appropriate to read aloud to a 5, and 7 year old, and if so which version do I get?

Yes.

Get the original translation, the older the better, the language is much richer. The free ones available online should be good. If from your library, get the oldest one you can find.

I read it about a year ago to my then 4 & 7 year old boys. We ALL LOVED it. I think I may have edited a few spots possibly, spent some time expanding and used the internet and computer to look up some things none of us understood.

We read the one from Everyman's Library Children's Classics- New York : A.A. Knopf : Distributed by Random House, c1994.

Hope you enjoy!

I just finished reading this to my 6 yr. old. He loves the Disney movie. I picked up a version for $2 at Michaels (of all places.) I was surprised at how much they talked about killing, butchering, stabbing, chopping the heads off, killing the mother of.. it was in almost every chapter. I edited it some, as I read, but my 6 yr. old said, "Gosh Mom, they sure did KILL a lot of animals, huh?" :tongue_smilie:

I read it to ds in first grade during his "Gardening and Survival" class. They used a hands on study along with the book to learn some survival skills based on the story. The language of the book was difficult for ds - lots of new vocabulary! What I did was find a simpler version of the story to read along with the unabridged version. This helped his comprehension and helped my voice by not having to stop and explain every other paragraph.

That said, he really enjoyed the story and the survival skills he learned (although I'm not sure how much he remembers now).