Menu

Mosquito Repellant--natural options

Good morning, Ladies and Gents!

My girls are outside playing at the moment. I've gotten very little school done in recent days in trade for them spending hours and hours outside playing hard. I've been willing to do this, because I KNOW that upon the arrival of the first mosquito...I won't be able to PAY them to go outside. They are creeped out by them, have terrible reactions to the bites and will do anything to avoid being sent out as giant feeding opportunities to the nasty little creatures.

We don't have standing water on our property...but it is quite shady. Mosquitos love it here.

That said, what tricks do you know to keep the mosquitos away in the first place and then, if we must co-exist, are there tried and true methods you use to protect your family from them?

Looking forward to anything that will help us enjoy outside living throughout the summer.

Thanks in advance!

I have lavender and bergamot essential oils added to water sprayers. I personally think the bergamot works best but the smell isn't for everyone. the lavender one does okay. but I feel good putting this on my kids and knowing it helps keep the bugs away without chemicals. we use this when camping and don't get eaten up. :-)

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll running into the odor issue with my girls...the oldest in particular. She won't want to stink. Where would I go to purchase these items or others?

Do you guys do anything outside for cookouts or anything that helps keep the mosquitos away from the area? Any special plants etc. that could be planted?

I use this company... http://www.mosquitosquad.com ... to spray my yard for skeeters. They are VERY bad here. We have the "no-see-um" kind, and they are so bad that I can't let my kids outdoors unless we've sprayed. When you add in the fact that my kiddo has a genetic skin disorder and swells up like a balloon when bitten, it becomes a real issue.

What I love about the Mosquito Squad folks is that they use a natural, non-toxic powdery spray made from chrysanthemums that is very safe for people and animals and is incredibly effective. The skeeters won't come near the yard after it's been sprayed, and it breaks down naturally in about a month. (They reapply every month.) We don't even bother with any kind of bug spray or other skin repellant after they've been here...there are just no skeeters around! Even my mom, who is extremely allergic to chrysanthemums, can be out in the yard after 30 minutes after application with no problems.

If this doesn't work for you, try growing lemon balm. You can crush and rub the leaves on your skin and they'll keep away the mosquitos. It is the stuff that citronella is made from.