Menu

Making a weighted blanket advice needed

Has anyone actually made their own weighted blanket? What type of fabric did you use? Do you think 2 top sheets would be strong enough or does it really need the fleece? Are they really hot to be under? This particular person is very hot natured and fleece might make it unbearable. Should I run the other direction screaming before or after I start?

Sheets would be fine, but make sure they are a high thread count..over 400. I would also make a cover for the blanket like a Duvet cover to make it easier to wash. I would fill with a material like the poly pellets not an organic material like rice/beans, or gravel.

To start I would sew vertical baffles. Fill each baffle with a measured amount of weight and a bit of poly stuffing. Then sew a horizontal line creating your square. (dds are about 4x4) Fill the vertical pocket again, sewing closed the pockets as you go.

Some people use a bit less weight on the edges to make it less likely to fall off the bed as people move around in their sleep.

Double stitch/roll all exteriors seams as well.

Sheets would be fine, but make sure they are a high thread count..over 400. I would also make a cover for the blanket like a Duvet cover to make it easier to wash. I would fill with a material like the poly pellets not an organic material like rice/beans, or gravel.

To start I would sew vertical baffles. Fill each baffle with a measured amount of weight and a bit of poly stuffing. Then sew a horizontal line creating your square. (dds are about 4x4) Fill the vertical pocket again, sewing closed the pockets as you go.

Some people use a bit less weight on the edges to make it less likely to fall off the bed as people move around in their sleep.

Double stitch/roll all exteriors seams as well.

But if you overstuff them, prepare to swear mentally a lot as you try to sew it up :lol:. I used baked millet in mine. A lot of people use little plastic pellets.

But if you overstuff them, prepare to swear mentally a lot as you try to sew it up :lol:. I used baked millet in mine. A lot of people use little plastic pellets.

LOL yeah that would not be fun.

I researched, planned and then.....bought ours. Just for the sewing irritation reason!

It looks like different technique for a similar result. Thank you for your link as well. Although now I am not sure if I need 1 or 2 more bags of pellets. I bought 8 lbs and this is for me so I need enough for an adult sized blanket. I am thinking 12 lbs would be max. It might come down to how many more bags are on the shelf at WalMart (yep totally shocked they had what I needed).

It looks like different technique for a similar result. Thank you for your link as well. Although now I am not sure if I need 1 or 2 more bags of pellets. I bought 8 lbs and this is for me so I need enough for an adult sized blanket. I am thinking 12 lbs would be max. It might come down to how many more bags are on the shelf at WalMart (yep totally shocked they had what I needed).

Here is a link to the page at the company that I bought ours through, discussing weights.

I am sure the other companies which sell them have similar information. These may help you decide on a weight that is appropriate for your body size.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Oh, I see. Me and a few of my children have to have very heavy comforters in order to sleep so I can understand. I just never heard of this. When I was a child they just kept piling blankets on you until you were happy. :001_smile:

I wish that would work for me. Unfortunately I overheat at night with next to nothing on and a light blanket. I nearly cried when we had to take our slightly heavier blanket off for a super light one the other day. I jumped for joy as my DH installed our window a/c unit last night and we put the heavier blanket back on.

Here is a link to the page at the company that I bought ours through discussing weights.

I am sure the other companies which sell them have similar information. These may help you decide on a weight that is appropriate for your body size.

That page was very informative. Thank you. Now I am debating if I should mention my new project to my DH before I make one that is only for half the bed. Nah. If he likes it, I'll make him one of his own so I can't "steal his covers".

I have not completed my weighted blanket yet (I'm to the point of filling it), but I now know why these are so expensive. They are a real PIA to make. I was sitting there explaining to my DH that I understood the price now and he looks at me and goes "you know if I like yours, I am going to want one too." :glare: Yes, I know him too well. Hopefully I can update this when I am actually done with great praise about how it helped me sleep like a teenager (cause you know babies really don't sleep all that great).

I have not completed my weighted blanket yet (I'm to the point of filling it), but I now know why these are so expensive. They are a real PIA to make. I was sitting there explaining to my DH that I understood the price now and he looks at me and goes "you know if I like yours, I am going to want one too." :glare: Yes, I know him too well. Hopefully I can update this when I am actually done with great praise about how it helped me sleep like a teenager (cause you know babies really don't sleep all that great).

:lol::lol::lol:

Yep, once I started thinking about the time and effort involved...and if I made a mistake....the double time involved....I decided that the price to order one, wasn't too bad after all. LOL I did hit a sale and bought dds for about $80, so that helped me to decide.

Yep, once I started thinking about the time and effort involved...and if I made a mistake....the double time involved....I decided that the price to order one, wasn't too bad after all. LOL I did hit a sale and bought dds for about $80, so that helped me to decide.

Oh, I have definitely made a few mistakes. Luckily I will not be attempting to sell this thing, so only I will have to live with those errors.