Menu

Cross post: Anyone using Latin for the New Millennium

(Cross post from the Logic board...)

Is anyone using Latin for the New Millennium for Gr. 6+? How is it going?

Besides seeming substantive, clear, and sequential, it looks just beautiful. I love the inclusion of history and mythology. (But I'm only looking at the samples.....)

Thanks for any thoughts!

yvonne

Hear the crickets?

I ask this same question every six months or so. I really, really want to use it. Really. But my son had an opportunity to study Japanese with a native speaker, and we don't have time for two languages right now.

It is an excellent text. Latinteach, who I haven't seen post here for a long time, encouraged me when I asked about it the last time.

I say you go for it, and then the throngs will follow. I like to imagine that we are a flock of penguins at the edge of a cliff, waiting for the first to dive in. Do it! Go!

Thank you so much, Steph. I just emailed Mrs. Sheppard to find out whether she'll be offering LNM classes in the fall and what her minimum age/grade requirement is for taking classes.

Are the classes live online? Ie, do the students all log on at the same time and listen & talk to her? Or are the classes recorded and the students log in and listen?

Thanks for any insights!

yvonne

So IS this immersion style? The samples look GREAT on Amazon! We are using Henle and absolutely loving it----especially after using Getting Started with Latin--and LFN actually looks a bit similar to Henle but a lot more like Ecce Romani or Cambridge?

We are also enjoying Henle after GSWL (which are very much alike) but I believe the curriculum discussed here is not like Henle, which is the opposite of immersion.

It's not entirely clear to me, but from the sample, it appears to be a sort of hybrid of grammar and immersion. I really liked some of the explanations, but I really did not like kicking off each chapter with a reading section and very large reading vocabulary. It's unclear to me how much of a role in learning those reading sections are designed to play, so it's hard to know the extent to which this is really immersion. I didn't see a table of contents - it would be helpful to see how it is organized. It would also help to see a Foreword or other introduction explaining the curriculum, though I'm not intrigued enough to hunt it down at the moment.

So IS this immersion style? The samples look GREAT on Amazon! We are using Henle and absolutely loving it----especially after using Getting Started with Latin--and LFN actually looks a bit similar to Henle but a lot more like Ecce Romani or Cambridge?

My understanding is that it's a combination of immersion and grammar-based learning. So many programs are either one or the other, but this one attempts to do both.

I will sift through my old PMs and see if I can find Latinteach's message, which explains it nicely.

Oh, and you can get audio online now, too, I understand. That's always the deal-breaker for me, whether there is an audio component.

Capt. Uhura,

I rec'd an email from Kathy Sheppard who did the LNM online class this year. In it she said: "Also, some people have asked me about Latin for the New Millennium classes. After using LFNM this past year, I am finding that I prefer Henle Latin still. If I have enough students, I might have another LFNM class."

I emailed, and posted on the Latin Classical Ed site, to find out why she's going back to Henle and to ask if anyone else has any feedback on LLNM. I will post here if/when I find out anything more.

I did receive a copy of LNM from Elizabeth. I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through it, but my first thought was "uh-oh, looks like a reading/"immersion" approach." I have to take a much closer look this week. I'm looking for a solid, sequential, grammar based approach.