Menu

Please Tell Me About Craigslist

I have a very large and expensive piece of exercise equipment I am trying to sell on Craigslist. I have it listed in the range that I see other similar items listed for. The two people who have expressed interest e-mailed back and forth with me numerous times, then told me they'd take it for considerably less than what I have it listed for.

Is it expected that I will come down considerably in my price and bargain on Craigslist?

When I do sell this thing, what is the best payment arrangement considering my husband will probably be delivering this? The last person wanted to pay cash on delivery without even coming to see it. Is this typical? That would be fine except this equipment is extremely heavy and I'd hate to have him get there and then have the person blow us off. Maybe I should not have my husband deliver it but only sell it to someone who can pick it up?

Thanks!

Lisa

I use Craigslist and have had great success. If you do not want to negotiate, you need to tell buyers that your price is firm. I would put this in the ad. FWIW, as a buyer, I do not negotiate. I don't think of Craigslist as a garage sale! I suppose if it is a high end item such as a car, perhaps that would be expected.

If I were looking for what you're selling, the delivery offer would certainly tip the scales for me as a buyer! It is also a way to keep people from coming to your house, another benefit. I think I would call the buyer before setting out to verify that they'll be home. Good luck!

I use Craigslist and have had great success. If you do not want to negotiate, you need to tell buyers that your price is firm. I would put this in the ad. FWIW, as a buyer, I do not negotiate. I don't think of Craigslist as a garage sale! I suppose if it is a high end item such as a car, perhaps that would be expected.

If I were looking for what you're selling, the delivery offer would certainly tip the scales for me as a buyer! It is also a way to keep people from coming to your house, another benefit. I think I would call the buyer before setting out to verify that they'll be home. Good luck!

:iagree: Your offer to deliver is a big benefit!

I almost always have people make a lower offer. Sometimes I accept it, sometimes not.

As for terms of payment - cash only.

In my experience, most people try to negotiate when I sell stuff on Craigslist, and I price accordingly.

I would fully expect someone who didn't ask to negotiate via email to end up saying "I only have $yourprice-50 in cash. Will you accept that?" when you meet them in person, because people know that most people would rather have the money than go through another round of trying to work with someone else. This is especially true if you're delivering.

Put down that your price is firm, but still expect some people to try to negotiate anyway. I would require people to come look at it beforehand, and take a non-refundable deposit from them if they want you to deliver it. That way if they do pull the whole, "Oh, sorry -- I don't have enough cash on me," thing your husband at least has some money in his pocket for going to the trouble of trying to deliver it. It also shows good faith. I think someone who puts a non-refundable deposit on it is a lot less likely to back out of the arrangement. Either that, or if some crucial part can be removed from the equipment (crucial as in it won't work without it) have your husband remove that part and say, "Sure! You can have this for now, and I can come back tomorrow with the rest of it once you have the other $50."

We just sold 2 big ticket items today. In my add I made sure to hide my email address, serious buyers will call, scammers email. In all my adds I state if I am willing to entertain offers or if I am firm. I always state that I will only accept cash. I have only ever had serious buyers and everything I have listed sells within 48 hours.

I would also require payment before delivery.

Thanks for all the replies! So, I'm definitely going to make sure to change my ad to reflect that my price is firm.

Also, I really think it makes sense to make the person come and see it and leave a deposit before delivery. Otherwise, I can easily see negotiation attempts taking place at delivery even though this thing is in excellent condition.

Thanks!

Lisa

FWIW, as a buyer, I do not negotiate. I don't think of Craigslist as a garage sale!

Craigslist isn't the big one where I live, but we have something almost the same that is just as popular and pretty much everyone does indeed view it just like a yard sale or flea market - everything can be negotiated. :D

And yup - I still make offers on "firm" prices... because most of the time they aren't. People want their stuff GONE. ;)

Hey, I just wanted to update this and say that I wound up selling the equipment for my asking price and the guy even came and picked it up himself. I had offers all over the place, and a few people who made those offers really made me doubt myself about whether I was asking an appropriate price, but in the end, there was someone who was very excited to get this item for the price I was asking. He even drove from 2 hours away to come and pick it up.

So, anyway, it was worth being a little patient and I'm so glad I didn't lower my price because I really needed the money for something else.

Lisa

Are you comparing your item to those listed by other owners or dealers? I am seeing lots of dealers simply using Craigslist as a free way to move merchandise. Buyers are looking more for garage-sale prices. You may want to go a good 20% LOWER than the competition (esp. if there are other sellers of similar items!)

Oops - just saw you sold it. never mind. :-)