Menu

Beekeeping mamas?

We are starting out our official "farm" title with bees this spring. I've read Natural Beekeeping, Seasonal Hive Management, and The Backyard Beekeeper so far as well as subscribed to a couple of beekeeping magazines.

Any other books anyone can recommend before actually buying everything??

This is funny! I'm on the phone with my beekeeper uncle and just wanted to see what was on the Hive. He started "sideline beekeeping" 40+ yrs ago "back in the day" and maintains over 500 colonies. Although he's not a huge producer compared to some, he said that as far as he knows, you've got the best books on the market. He suggests also reading The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Beekeeping by Richard Bonney. He also suggests as a fun read: Bad Beekeeping (which he keeps in his outhouse for guests to enjoy) but doesn't have it handy to tell me the author. He wishes you a wonderful buzz on your adventure! :tongue_smilie:

we have just started we bees. we collected a swarm in September ( spring here) and it has progressed really well, we managed to start two nucleus colonies from it with two purchased queens. So we now have 3 hives.

We find bees absolutely fascinating, and my DH and I really enjoy working in the hives together.

We are also building up our immunity to bee stings ( ha ha).

Apparently it is legal where I live to keep a few hives in the yard, and I'm curious. Probably won't do it, but curious... Does anyone use the beeswax to make candles? If so, how many candles do you get out of a hive?

Min

the beeswax in a beehive that bees make seems to be extremely thin, and there is not much beeswax in the capping. It takes a huge amount of energy for the bees to make wax, so usually the honey is spun out of the comb, leaving the wax for the bees to refill.

the beeswax in a beehive that bees make seems to be extremely thin, and there is not much beeswax in the capping. It takes a huge amount of energy for the bees to make wax, so usually the honey is spun out of the comb, leaving the wax for the bees to refill.

Yes, and this is the same for propolis. (I find it ironic that *this* site is telling me that 'propolis' is spelled incorrectly!:D) Take one product from the hive, leave the rest. :)

Our beekeeper friends who harvest wax give it to a company who cleans it. I think our friends get a portion of it back, but the company keeps most of it. It seems to be a fair trade for both.

Along with reading, try to get a mentor to help you with quick questions. Ours has been invaluable!

There are also differences in hives and wax vs honey production.

With the traditional commercial Langstroth lives (the ones that look like boxes) the cap is cut off the comb and the honey is spun out and then the remained of the comb in the frame is returned to the hive. This maximizes honey and minimizes the taking of wax.

But there is another hive type called Top-Bar or Kenyan Hives. These are much simpler and cheaper than Langstroth hives. With these the bees build comb that hangs from slats (rather than in frames). When honey is harvested all the wax comb is taken. This lessens the yield of honey, but you get far more wax. For a family who just wants meet personal needs (and friends and family) for honey and likes the idea of wax for candles etc, and want to minimize costs for both hive and centrifuges, and want a hive that is easy to manage and inspect, the Top Bar Hives have a lot of advantages.

Bill

We have a top bar hive with observation windows and have absolutely been enthralled and love it! There are a ton of youtube videos to watch that have helped me learn faster, but one book we have that I found very helpful was ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture. It reads like an encyclopedia and the pics are black and white and grainy :P but I like it anyhow.

Good luck, we really enjoy the bees!

I've been keeping bees for a few years now. My favorite go-to book for questions that crop up is The Beekeeper's Handbook.

I also use the wax to make candles and use in my salves and balms. I have plenty for my personal needs, but YMMV...