Menu

S/O Grout Cleaner

I tried everything on the bathroom floor - scrub brush, nearly-boiling water, abrasives, bleach, abrasives-with-bleach... but the grout never got entirely clean. So we got some white sealer... I think it's something more in the line of paint rather than just a sealer. But it worked, and it's actually pretty easy to keep clean! I think the grout was just too porous and/or heavily textured (1/2 inch grout line, sanded grout...) But it looks great now. :)

I tried everything on the bathroom floor - scrub brush, nearly-boiling water, abrasives, bleach, abrasives-with-bleach... but the grout never got entirely clean. So we got some white sealer... I think it's something more in the line of paint rather than just a sealer. But it worked, and it's actually pretty easy to keep clean! I think the grout was just too porous and/or heavily textured (1/2 inch grout line, sanded grout...) But it looks great now. :)

My grout isn't white, though. Does it come in other colors?

Anyone found anything that cleans grout well? I was noticing that the grout in my bathroom is really nice in some places and really gross in others. I clean my floors but I'm thinking I need something more heavy duty for the bad spots. Nothing seems to work.

Any magic bullets out there?

I used a Shark Steamer (the kind with a hose with a little brush on the end) and Oxyclean on my kitchen grout that had turned black. It came out sparkling white! It was dazzling, really! The steam super activated the Oxyclean, and the combo was magical!

I used a Shark Steamer (the kind with a hose with a little brush on the end) and Oxyclean on my kitchen grout that had turned black. It came out sparkling white! It was dazzling, really! The steam super activated the Oxyclean, and the combo was magical!

Oh I have one of those, can you describe your process exactly?? Thanks. :)

I had been wondering about one of those steam cleaners. I might buy one.

I have gotten on my hands and knees and used a grout brush but it is a several week long process for me, almost all of our first floor is tile. I was going to buy a long handled grout brush from Amazon so that I could use it standing up. I never ordered it but one day I taped a grout brush to an old broom handle. I think that is going to work but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.:001_rolleyes:

I'm definitely going to get that degreaser from the Dollar Tree!!!

Oh I have one of those, can you describe your process exactly?? Thanks. :)

Sure. First, my Shark steamer is a hand-held model, with a hose and a stiff brush attachment.

I just sprinkled the Oxyclean on the grout (dry). Then, rubbed it back and forth with steam hose, using the brush attachment. The steam "melted" the oxyclean", and the brush got into the grout and cleaned it well. I did about six inches at a time, then moved on to the next section.

It was noisy, and still hard work holding the steamer body, and fighting with the hose. But, the results were brilliant. :o) The grout had been sealed with a clear coating that had turned black and grungy. The steam even melted the coating, leaving just the grout. I followed up with a penetrating sealer, and was very happy with the results.

Sure. First, my Shark steamer is a hand-held model, with a hose and a stiff brush attachment.

I just sprinkled the Oxyclean on the grout (dry). Then, rubbed it back and forth with steam hose, using the brush attachment. The steam "melted" the oxyclean", and the brush got into the grout and cleaned it well. I did about six inches at a time, then moved on to the next section.

It was noisy, and still hard work holding the steamer body, and fighting with the hose. But, the results were brilliant. :o) The grout had been sealed with a clear coating that had turned black and grungy. The steam even melted the coating, leaving just the grout. I followed up with a penetrating sealer, and was very happy with the results.

That's great! I still have my grout sealant too from when we laid the tile floors. :) Thanks so much.

I have a different shark than you do though. Mind is the big canister one, but you can detach the mop head and the steam comes out of the wand like a pressure cleaner. Do you think I could like alternate between blasting it with the steam and then scrubbing it with a stiff grout brush and then hit it with the steam again and get the same results?

That's great! I still have my grout sealant too from when we laid the tile floors. :) Thanks so much.

I have a different shark than you do though. Mind is the big canister one, but you can detach the mop head and the steam comes out of the wand like a pressure cleaner. Do you think I could like alternate between blasting it with the steam and then scrubbing it with a stiff grout brush and then hit it with the steam again and get the same results?

Sure! Or, maybe, if it's not too hot, and if your grout brush has a longish handle, maybe you can steam and scrub at the same time.

I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Let me know how it turns out!

Sure! Or, maybe, if it's not too hot, and if your grout brush has a longish handle, maybe you can steam and scrub at the same time.

I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Let me know how it turns out!

Thank you. :) I will. I'll have to get some Oxyclean though first. :)