Menu

Anyone not use SOTW for history but still listen to the cd's?

praisefor3

We don't use it as a curriculum, but my son LOVES the CDs. My mom gave him Ancients when he turned 6 and he probably requested it (especially disk #5, not sure why - probably some fighting on it!) 300 nights of the year at bedtime. Never tired of it. So this year when he turned 7 she gave him Middle Ages. And same thing! He chooses it every single night!

I can't believe how much he has learned from it. Yesterday he wanted to find Mecca on the map. And he knows more ancient history than I do!

I highly recommend any of the Jim Weiss CDs (most of them are just one disk). My kids all love him. We probably have a dozen and I'd like to get them all.

My daughter also loves the SOTW vol. 1 on CD. She frequently asks for it in the car (we spend way too much time driving). But the more I listen to it, the more I see its deficiencies and am glad that we supplement it with another history of the world, A Little History of the World, by E.H. Grombrich.

It is available from Amazon on an unabridged CD for under $14. We listen to the original German edition (recorded by the grandson of E.H. Grombrich, who is a actor in Germany), so we get double duty out of the CD--History and German language. As a result, I can't testify to the English version, but my daughter likes the German version--not quite as well as SOTW, but she willing listens to it. I just asked her if she would recommend it to other kids, and she said yes, even though she likes SOTW better.

Note that she is only 6, and Grombrich's work is probably meant for kids a little bit older. On Amazon's German website, the publisher states the book is meant for kids 12 to 13; the American website does not give age recommendations. Of course, as with many books, kids may be able to listen to book that they may not be able to read yet.

Although I am not overly fond of Grombrich's treatment of the modern era, his coverage of the ancient world complements SOTW well.

Maybe someone else has bought the English edition and could let us know if the CD is well done or not.

We started using the audio books when I fell behind in reading while doing SOTW vol. 1. Ds enjoyed it so much that I bought all 4 volumes. I stopped scheduling SOTW because as soon as I'd hand him the next volume he'd disappear into his room where he'd listen for hours while building with his Legos. It was about 2 yrs ago that I handed him the last set. He still listens to them quite frequently.

I'm using Mystery of History, Vol 1. and just discovered a local library has SOTW on CD's, so we've been listening to them this past week and have almost caught up to the point where we are in MOH.

I had heard of other moms using both curriculum, but thought they were crazy for adding more to their workload, but I'm beginning to see that these audio CD's have been a *time*-saver for me.

We use TOG, and SOTW is recommended as an alternate resource, not a primary. We just got the CDs, and we listen to them quite a bit. The kids love the SOTW cds! I think what you're suggesting would be fine. :)

ETA: We also have the MOH CDs. If your kids don't like the readings of SOTW, as I've been reading some don't, try MOH. Her voice is much more soothing.