Menu

MFW 2nd grade question

wy_kid_wrangler04

What would you do? Adventures or start the 5 year cycle with his older sister? (he is just a k'er this year so I have time but I want to know what I am going to do)

If we do Adventures he will do

2nd Adventures

3rd start the 5 year cycle at Rome to Reformation

4th exploration-1850

5th 1850-modern times

6th Exploring Countried and Cultures

7th Ancients

then 8th I would either go back through Rome to reformation or do a year of government (not sure)

OR if we skip Adventures he would do

2nd start the 5 year cycle at Ancients

3rd Rome to Reformation

4th exploration-1850

5th 1850-modern times

6th Exploring Countried and Cultures

7th Ancients

and the same question for 8th grade before starting MFW high school (yes, I know, thats a long time away) So either way his timeline would be the same other than adventures or 2 years of ancients.

Adventures sounds/looks really fun- but would it be hard starting the history cycle at RtR?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or would you do Adventures and just have him sit in on Ancients for the reading but not the other work?

Here's my .02 cents. I would skip Adventures and do ECC then go into the cycle.

At the ripe ol' age of 7 or 8, kids are still so "me-centered" that the concept of a whole world out there that does not revolve around them is hard for them to swallow!

Spending a year touring through the world with ECC will open that world to them so they can more readily understand and relate to the people and places they will meet in RtR and the others.

We are doing ECC this year and it has been wonderful! Even my 1st grader can identify every state in the US, every country in North America, South America and Europe. We're currently learning about Africa. They get so excited when they hear about another country in the news or in a book we're reading because they know where it is and they know a little about the people who live there. It has been an invaluable experience for my kids.

We did Adventures last year and, although it was a lot of fun, my dc don't really remember much of what they learned. I think the reason why is because ECC doesn't build on that knowledge. Whereas RtR builds on ECC so I think retention will be better.

So, you're going to be doing Creation to the Greeks when he is in 2nd? I think that would be the way to go. IMO, doing Adventures PLUS another full MFW program would be overload. All the programs work for a 2nd grader (heck, I've successfully combined my K and 1st grader into the older programs the last 2 years :-).

hth!

my .02

fold him into the 5 year cycle with older sibling when he reaches 2nd grade.

He will get the history from "adventures" when the family does EX1850 and 1850MOD

Yes, there are things in CTG that a 2nd grader will enjoy with the crafts, feasts, dress up, other activities, some notebooking, Bible study. A 2nd grader will not do advanced assignments. I think he'll have plenty of Bible study and hands on science in CTG.

help me out again? you're doing ECC this year with older sibling?

when mom/dad has taught from ECC, it makes it easier to fold the next children in. It really does work out to fold them in whichever program the older sibling is in.

and my oldest did CTG in 8th and is in AHL now. working fine!

-crystal

my .02

fold him into the 5 year cycle with older sibling when he reaches 2nd grade.

He will get the history from "adventures" when the family does EX1850 and 1850MOD

Yes, there are things in CTG that a 2nd grader will enjoy with the crafts, feasts, dress up, other activities, some notebooking, Bible study. A 2nd grader will not do advanced assignments. I think he'll have plenty of Bible study and hands on science in CTG.

help me out again? you're doing ECC this year with older sibling?

when mom/dad has taught from ECC, it makes it easier to fold the next children in. It really does work out to fold them in whichever program the older sibling is in.

and my oldest did CTG in 8th and is in AHL now. working fine!

-crystal

Here's my .02 cents. I would skip Adventures and do ECC then go into the cycle.

At the ripe ol' age of 7 or 8, kids are still so "me-centered" that the concept of a whole world out there that does not revolve around them is hard for them to swallow!

Spending a year touring through the world with ECC will open that world to them so they can more readily understand and relate to the people and places they will meet in RtR and the others.

We are doing ECC this year and it has been wonderful! Even my 1st grader can identify every state in the US, every country in North America, South America and Europe. We're currently learning about Africa. They get so excited when they hear about another country in the news or in a book we're reading because they know where it is and they know a little about the people who live there. It has been an invaluable experience for my kids.

We did Adventures last year and, although it was a lot of fun, my dc don't really remember much of what they learned. I think the reason why is because ECC doesn't build on that knowledge. Whereas RtR builds on ECC so I think retention will be better.

We are doing ECC next year. Just decided to switch to MFW and bought the K package this year (in january) to start ds over because he was not doing well with what I had him doing. He is doing amazing with MFW K. My dd's will start with MFW next year at ECC.

Do you think he would do well to do ECC next year? (the history and possibly the science) with this older sisters and just keep him in the 5 year cycle? I have MFW 1st for the phonics, Bible, math, (which we will be adding to) science and handwriting. Would a 1st grader do well with the geography portion?

Would a 1st grader do well with the geography portion?

I wouldn't bother with the research and worksheets with the 1st grade.

Other parts of ECC to do with your 1st grader:

*praying for people around the world

*Hero Tales

*the Geography Game

*crafts

*food/eating

*looking at book basket picture books and being read to from those books

*enjoying browsing the picture atlas stuff

*doing some things from deluxe like Great Animal Search, and Complete Book of Animals.

*wee sing music

*hands on stuff like flags passports, etc.

just leave out the worksheets unless there are some he is interested in doing with you.

-crystal

I would skip adventures. As for doing 1st or ECC, I lean towards doing 1st with him.

I should have clarified, no research or worksheets with him in 1st.

If I did the 1st grade + the read alouds, prayers and the more hands on aspect of ECC. That way I can introduce some geography as well with him. (continents, some of the bigger countries, oceans, that sorta thing) Certainly not the worksheets or anything. Maybe I can find some sort of coloring books/pages to go along with it though for him. (as he is interested)

Any thoughts on that? The rest would be from 1st grade.

Maybe I can find some sort of coloring books/pages to go along with it though for him. (as he is interested)

Any thoughts on that? The rest would be from 1st grade.

one option on that would be to just go ahead and get an extra set of student sheets and skip the harder worksheets.

I should have been more clear in my earlier answer too.

The student sheets will have a copy of the geography game for him, and flag sheets to color, and John 3:16 sheets to do. you'd skip the Prop. of Ecosystems worksheets with him and not worry about World Geography workbook pages that are research. He might like his own maps from the book.

other possible copying sheets would be from A Trip Around the World and Another Trip around the world.

I'd make it easy on me and just get him a set of the students sheets - if for no other reason that the geography game and quick coloring things.

-crystal

Haven't read all the replies, so ignore me if I'm repeating.

My current K'er is going to join big sis in the 5-year cycle when he hits 2nd grade. She is currently a 4th grader in ECC, but she just started that in Jan, so, he will actually do the 2nd half of one program and the first half of the next in 2nd. Let's see, next year she will finish ECC and start CtG, so I guess he will be joining in for the 2nd half of CtG and the first half of RtR.

I also considered keeping him separate one more year and having him do Adventures, but I figured...nah. He's going to be in 3rd grade for the 1st half of Ex1850 and the younger kid supplement for that year is a lot of what's included in Adventures. (From what I understand.) So, he's going to be getting the material anyway, and if I want him to do more American History in the meantime, it's easy to fill in with holiday stuff, etc., in the book basket or read aloud or movies, etc.

ETA: (After reading your follow-up post) My K'er does join us for some things in ECC: He has his own passport/sticker book that he enjoys. He listens/dances to the music. He's learned the continent song (and where all the continents are on the world map), and is learning the names of the states. He does Bible with us, so he listens to the Scripture, memorizes the memory verses, prays with us. He doesn't always hang for Windows on the World, but sometimes. He likes some picture books/videos from book basket. He likes the arts/crafts and food. Hmmm...he likes to color maps and I need to get him his own set of student sheets, because he wants to do the John 3:16 sheets. He's enjoying practicing counting and color words in Spanish. I think it will be pretty similar next year when he's in 1st - he'll be doing his own program, but welcome to join in ECC/CtG when he wants. But I would not try to have him do the geography or science worksheets - they're challenging for my 4th grader. Oh, he likes nature walks/nature journal too, we've always done those.

So that's my .02 - it might be worth that much. ;)

Melissa

Edited by MelissaMinNC