Menu

Slight ear ache in adult after a cold... doctor visit or not?

I wouldn't go to the doctor for a slight earache. If your earache gets bad or is accompanied by a fever, I would go if it didn't clear up in a day or so. (Warm garlic oil in the ear will ease the pain. There are some OTC drops that help as well.)

This is from someone who rarely goes to the doctor. I only go when I'm pretty sure there is something they can do for me (like test for strep and give antibiotics) or if the symptom could be something serious. Other than that, I let my immune system deal with things.

I get this after every cold!!! It is usually caused by the mucus getting dehydrated in the canal and getting "stuck"' to the walls and not being able to move. I take lots of the good decongestant (the regulated kind) and drink lots of water. The rice heating pads help a lot (they are moist heat). Breathing steam through the nose is very helpful in rehydrating the mucus. Also lay down with the sore ear up to promote drainage.

HTH

Lara

I've had one that cleared up at the end of a cold. Motrin/ decongestants were handling it fine. I actually went in for something unrelated ( maybe thyroid?) and the doctor asked me about it. She just said to call her if it got worse, since I said it wasn't really bothering me.

Since it's the beginning of the week, I'd wait. If it was a Friday, I might go in.

be careful when using decongestants......before I understood them I actually caused my son's cold to be prolonged and worse once. The ped explained it this way....decongestants cause your nose to make less "goo".......mucinex thins your secretions...... The nurse helped me over the phone when I had a problem and said that I was layering the mucus that time. Now I just use mucinex and increase water intake for regular colds.

be careful when using decongestants......before I understood them I actually caused my son's cold to be prolonged and worse once. The ped explained it this way....decongestants cause your nose to make less "goo".......mucinex thins your secretions...... The nurse helped me over the phone when I had a problem and said that I was layering the mucus that time. Now I just use mucinex and increase water intake for regular colds.

The only OTC I actually for anyone in the family for colds is Mucinex. I said decongestants when I meant expectorants. Thank you for the explanation and the reminder.