Menu

WTMers, I could use some encouragement about "keeping on keeping on"

First, I feel ridiculous for even posting this, but lately, I need someone to prop me up!

I'm VERY happy with the way things have gone for the last four years of using WTM methods and resources for grammar stage, and plan to continue on through logic stage.

I'm just VERY overwhelmed right now about planning for the next few years! I don't mean every jot and tiddle, that's where the WTM book comes in handy - I just mean things like:

- I've never studied Latin before and I'm panicking while looking at the LC2 TM and realizing that there are some things I should have done more with LC1. (Not planning to change course with Latin, though, I want to continue with Henle after LC2) I worry that I'll hit a wall with Latin and not be able to keep learning and teaching. There seems to be a lot of organizing and memorizing to do and I feel as though I'm losing a grip on how to put it all together into a plan.

- I've never studied logic before - I managed to figure out all the Mind Benders A books, and that got easier as I went along. But, what if I can't figure out the Critical Thinking books (which I haven't even seen yet, but am finding something to worry about), or the actual logic books?? Panicking about that, too.

- I can also see where grammar and math could require more of my concentration, too - panicking about that. Although I'm happy with the curriculum we use for these (R&S).

- Trying to throw Spanish in there, too - studied that, but only for a year. Using Learnables, which seems pretty easy to start with, but am trying to figure out if/when/how I should put more grammar in there.

I guess, thinking about the various subject areas, I feel alright about studying science, history, and lit. with the WTM methods - just a little worried about how to keep up with my oldest in that.

I guess it's the "exacting skills" subjects I am most worried about - Latin, math, logic, modern foreign language, and possibly English grammar. I do have an hour or so each day in which I can possibly study ahead, but you know how that goes sometimes with interruptions......plus some days I'd like to have a whole week in which to string together thoughts and make those mental connections! Right now an hour a day does not seem like enough....

And all that is just for my oldest child - the poor guinea pig. I have a younger child, and I know it'll be easier to teach her.

I just need to know that there are other WTMers out there who have walked this road before - have never studied these subjects or never studied in this way, who managed to learn and teach it to their kids beyond the elementary years.

Tell me your stories? Throw any encouraging words my way?:blushing::o:crying::scared:

Colleen, you're a year ahead of me obviously, but I still had a few uplifting thoughts for you. If you dig around on MP's website, there's an article where Cheryl Lowe suggests a schedule of spreading LC2 over two years. That might give you that extra wiggle room to take your time, review things you didn't nail in LC1 (which is normal) and be confident moving forward. So that means you only would need to cover 1/2 the book to be prepared to go into it this fall. And the first portion of the book is review too, meaning you're going to be ok! :)

Are you going to do the Learnables audio or on the computer? The computer version is easy to use, so you're going to be fine there. Are there more levels now or just one? Once you exhaust that, maybe some opportunities would come to take it through a local school or co-op or something.

On the logic, just remember that ANYTHING you do is more than most of us ever got in school. Just do whatever is practical and move on.

I like to do my studying ahead late at night in chunks, because that's when I think best. Maybe you could carve out some time for yourself, maybe a girls' night out at a hotel with you and another classical homeschooler (who knows latin, hehe) and just work on these things for an evening? I can see where it would be hard to carve time with several dc. I just have my one right now, so it's been fine. I remember reading in Chris Klicka's book that he does that for his wife, giving her one night a month at a hotel so she can scrapbook without distractions.

I think you're doing great and like reading your posts. You're going to be fine! Just have some chocolate, treat yourself, and tackle one of these things, see if you can knock it off. Sometimes it's one thing that pushes you over the top, and eliminating something makes the mountain seem a little more do-able.

I know exactly how you feel Colleen. I feel like I'm just keeping my head above water with my oldest in his freshman year of high school.

Latin: I was able to keep up with them through LCII but am having trouble now as we are at the end of Latin in the Christian Trivium but I'm finding that I can fake along as long as I make it a priority to grade their work each night - it's amazing how much I can pick up just from that. My goal this year has been to work through the text myself but a newborn has put a crimp in my plans.

Math: I'm using TT which helped my son through Algebra but we don't like it so now I'm going to work through Jacobs Algebra to refresh myself before my daughter starts in on it next year. I'm going to use Dr. Callahan's videos for my son to make it through Geometry. I know when my youngers come up through it will be much easier like you said. I'm just going to avail myself of as much DVD help as I can through my olders years in high school math.

Logic: We started on it but that was one I had to give up. I didn't have the time or the motivation to stay ahead and didn't want to spend the money on supplemental DVD's to make it easier. We can't do everything. Maybe he'll want to study logic on his own as an adult?

Spanish has also been my downfall this year but my oldest is using SOS which is very independent and therefore doesn't require my help. I know that's not ideal but it's the best I can do at this point.

I'm guessing that my youngers education will be very different from my olders and that's o.k. I'm availing myself of help in the areas I need it and concentrating on "putting out the biggest fires" first on a need basis and though my lack of knowledge isn't making their trip through the upper years ideal, we are learning together and there is some value in them seeing me struggle with concepts alongside of them rather than knowing all the answers right away.

I probably haven't helped - but "misery" loves company, right?

Janet

My oldest is still at an elementary level, but I wanted to offer some practical words of encouragement to take it one day at a time. Do as much as you can today to prepare for tomorrow, and leave it at that.

If you had told me early on in my marriage that I would have six children so closely spaced together, and then started to ask me particulars on how I would manage it I might have started to get worried. The truth is you learn a lot of the practical stuff of rearing your children through hands-on experience.

The advantage you have is you can start studying the content of those subjects now before you need them. Even if you don't manage to learn them well, there are so many resources out there that your children can learn them well enough to master the subject areas. We have more options now than several hundred years ago when parents used to have tutors come teach their children at home.

I don't know if there are that many moms out there who studied Latin or Logic before reading the WTM, so you are definitely not alone! I thought I was fairly well educated, but found I've learned tons over these past 8 years of homeschooling.

The one piece of advice I'd offer up to anyone willing to listen is that you should NOT think of yourself as a teacher in the traditional sense -- you don't have to be the expert who is passing knowledge to your students. I like to think of myself as still being a student, as modeling for my kids what it is to be a good student -- someone who can research, read, think and analyze and grow intellectually. I've always just trusted that my kids would follow my lead and become good students themselves, and it seems to have worked. It has taken a load of pressure off of me to not have to always master whatever subject is ahead of them.

I do read ahead, and I've spent many a Sunday afternoon doing the week's algebra and geometry problems. But I very often say "hmmmm, lets figure this out together", then watch as my kids leap-frog ahead of me in Latin or Logic. Math -- well, we stumble along together or I hire a tutor. I often understand HOW to do a problem but cannot explain it clearly to save my life!

As kids mature they are able to learn for themselves, and there are a lot of resources out there for self learners. My kids have read Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox on their own, done Mind Benders and the DandyLion work books on their own. I usually skim through to get a feel for a book, and to see if it is going to meet our needs, but I've never finished Fallacy Detective, for instance.

Many high school age homeschoolers take classes at community colleges, which is a great fit for higher level math and for foreign languages. Again, it takes the pressure off of you needing to be "ahead".

The pay-off of the advanced grades is having a thoughtful young adult in the house who wants to discuss books or current events. And, I figure another pay-off is that all this studying of algebra and Latin is helping stall the on-set of dementia in my "golden years":D

You can do it too!

If you set your goals HIGH and don't reach them- you're still doing 100% better than never having goals at all.

Just do everything in & with love, there's no way you can go wrong.

I think of these whenever I get the "what if" and "I'm not good enough" naggies. You do what you can, giving your best effort, one day at a time.

:grouphug:

I now have my oldest child all the way through school and graduated, so I've learned a lot of what I need in order to teach a lot of our subjects. (Yeah!)

Soooooo....I can tell you what I've done. My first child was the all-important guinea pig.

I made her do the Latin with me at my speed, and we did class together.

We did Cothran's Logic together--again, at my speed, since dd could have done it faster (sigh).

As far as grammar goes, we always read the lesson together (out loud when they were young and silently now that they are older). When we got to an assignment, we did some of it orally and I assigned some of it--but we always read the lessons together so that I was sure I understood what we were doing.

With my math-phobic son, we do Algebra page by page together (we both have a copy of the book)--fortunately, I can do less of the work and still keep up to him, so I do the problems with the introductory material and he does all of the exercises at the end of the chapter without me.

This takes time, but it is scheduled into the day; after the first time through the book, I am able to teach these classes without sitting down and doing it with the child. I'm sure that if I had had 10 kids, it would not have worked out so well.

This next year I have one child who may choose to go further in Latin than I, so I'm going to have to either go back to studying Latin, or I may have him do it on the internet. And my one son who has needed a teacher for Algebra, may take the community college route next year.

If I don't "farm" these out to others, I'll be back to doing school again. :-)

I'm still reading literature through the summer months, though--I'm always trying to decide what to use with the boys since my 1st child was a girl, and now that the Omnibus is out, I have more choices to make. :-))

FWIW,

J

I am right there with you with my oldest in 5th grade next year. One thing I have decided-- wait a couple of more years on logic. I talked with Dr. Perrin (the latin guy from classical academic press) at a homeschool conference last month and he said 6th or 7th grade was just dandy for logic. Whew! Latin we've been doing Latin for Children and we will do B next year, and I am barely keeping ahead of them, but like Janet said, I am catching on. I am really wanting to ramp up the writing next year so that will be another challenge to keep up with. Sooooo, I think you've gotten good advice. Like Jessica said, with the academic goals you have you still are way ahead even if you don't hit them than most kids this age. I mean really, you are doing a great job and so am I-- it just gets a bit overwhelming. :grouphug:

OH, hon!!! What a yucky time of year this is. My "Abeka-mom" friend is finished for the year. So, now her ds doesn't even wait until 10am to call my ds and harass him about why he's not finished with his work yet :glare:.

So, I haven't even looked at next year's stuff - bleck!!!!

But, I am going to post an LCII help list once we're through - things I wish I'd have known at the beginning of this year. (Things to mark, chants, etc.) Maybe that will help LCII feel a bit more like LCI for you. (I remember feeling completely lost starting LCII.)

hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink: Can I gently encourage you to opt for the DandyLion logic books instead of Critical Thinking? If not, would you like my copies of CT? ;)

I can't really add anything more than what Jennifer and Jean already said. I'm not one to learn things ahead of time (tho' I do try to pre-read all their literature and answer the WEM questions for myself). My older ds gets a bit frustrated with me sometimes, but I really do read his math and grammar with him (most days anyway), because that way I can question him as we go and learn it all at once.

And, if you ever get stuck in Latin or Logic, you can always post here. I've had to do so more than a few times, and I've always been amazed at how fast someone responds. :D

R&S-7 was *very* overwhelming as I looked through it last July/August. I really doubted we would could it. But, one lesson at a time it's not really so bad. Same with math. I plan on watching the Intro Logic DVD's with him next year, too.

The other thing I've done is drop Spanish for now. I'd really love to add in Rosetta Stone next year - but we're already adding quite a bit of time with the Logic and starting Henle, so Spanish will probably just get put off til high school - when we'll probably do SOS.

Now, homeschooling and having a clean house and laundry......:lol:.....there, I can't help ya!

You can do it, babe!

Rhonda

Hi Elizabeth,

I just noticed you have a bun in the oven - congratulations!!

I did search around at MP site for those articles - they were helpful, to see her recommendations on how to plan out Latin studies over the years. So, I may consider spreading LC2 out. And I did see that the first few lessons in LC2 are review - which is a good thing here! Gives me chance to solidify some things before moving on. In fact, I read a lot of articles on that site last night......I had no idea Latin was such a huge thing in education. I got a little overwhelmed at the more indepth articles, but I did come away with a new idea - that studying the *structure* of Latin helps with studying the structure of other languages. I knew that studying Latin words would be helpful, but didn't know about the structure part.

We got the Learnables audio version. I don't think it will be too hard to figure out how it works. I think the thing that was freaking me out was the whole "there doesn't seem to be grammar teaching in it" thing. But, I'm thinking that our focus for the next four years will be on Latin and Latin grammar, with Spanish being more the immersion style for now. An introduction to a modern language. And that it will be OK. Then maybe in 7th or 8th, introduce grammar, or wait til high school. Or switch to another foreign language for high school if ds wants to. I found what seem to be good grammar books online (then I noticed them listed in WTM's high school section - which usually clinches it for me), so maybe I can use those alongside the Learnables. I feel better just getting an outline in my mind for these things. Jean in Wisc. helped me out with that recently. Yeah, there may be opportunities for outside learning, but I usually focus on what we can do at home, simply because of finances. I like to look at what's possible for us to do here so I know we COULD do it if need be. Actually, I have found TWO Spanish speakers here recently (I've not heard Spanish in my 11 years of living here), and they will probably help us practice. When I lived in the NYC area, I lived among many Spanish speakers, so I miss it.

Night in a hotel sounds divine!!! I might do it sometime. Mostly my study time is in the evenings after the kids go to bed before dh comes home (he's gone afternoons and evenings). But sometimes I get sucked in by the interesting conversations on these boards, and sometimes I just want to watch CSI, LOL! (as a side note, hopefully that encourages you that there IS free time when you have two kids) But truthfully, when I get freaked about starting something new, I stall and put it off.......but, the Latin book and I are starting to make friends......

Thank you so much for responding to my plea!

I know exactly how you feel Colleen. I feel like I'm just keeping my head above water with my oldest in his freshman year of high school.

Spanish has also been my downfall this year but my oldest is using SOS which is very independent and therefore doesn't require my help. I know that's not ideal but it's the best I can do at this point.

though my lack of knowledge isn't making their trip through the upper years ideal, we are learning together and there is some value in them seeing me struggle with concepts alongside of them rather than knowing all the answers right away.

I probably haven't helped - but "misery" loves company, right?

Janet

Yup, misery loves company, and I thank you for responding!!!

I found this helpful because it seems that when kids get to high school, there is more ability to self-study (even if it's not ideal, as you say).

And someone else mentioned, too, that Mom working along with the kids, struggling to learn concepts and get things memorized, is a good thing, too.

I'm sure I'll probably find that my kids learn things a LOT easier than I do, simply because of age. But, grrrrr, it's frustrating for me! Plus, I want to make sure they learn what they need to - what if they miss something and I don't know they've missed it??

Time for me to stop analyzing.....LOL

Thank you so much!

My oldest is still at an elementary level, but I wanted to offer some practical words of encouragement to take it one day at a time. Do as much as you can today to prepare for tomorrow, and leave it at that.

If you had told me early on in my marriage that I would have six children so closely spaced together, and then started to ask me particulars on how I would manage it I might have started to get worried. The truth is you learn a lot of the practical stuff of rearing your children through hands-on experience.

The advantage you have is you can start studying the content of those subjects now before you need them. Even if you don't manage to learn them well, there are so many resources out there that your children can learn them well enough to master the subject areas. We have more options now than several hundred years ago when parents used to have tutors come teach their children at home.

Yup, this is all true for me. Thank you so much for jumping in when I needed to hear from people! I'm feeling better about it already - it helps so much to just hear from others who are on the same road. I feel I can tackle things again, however fumblingly that happens.

but I was having similar thoughts just this morning.

:lurk5:

This is funny, I noticed you changed your reply, cuz I remember what you originally wrote!!!

Well, then, hopefully the replies here will spur you on, too. I am SOOOOO glad to have this forum of encouraging homeschoolers.

Yeah, there might not be many homeschoolers who have studied these things before reading WTM. My problem is that when I read about something, and it makes perfect sense to me (like why study these subjects), I want to plunge right in there and get going already!!! Until I come to a wall and run scared.

My kids definitely know that I am deficient in the areas I want to teach them - I tell them all the time they are getting a way better education than I had. I guess in some areas, I'll be able to get way ahead, and in other areas, I will be just a day ahead of them most of the time. I guess I just don't want to slow them down, but I also have to accept that I am doing my best, right?? :)

You and several others mentioned that as kids get older they become more self-learning - that's helpful to know, too. I'm just always looking ahead, seeing what parts of the plan could be, trying to have a look inside recommended books so I can figure out WHY they are recommended - otherwise I would not know what to choose. I just want to lay a good foundation of skills for them, so when they get older, they won't struggle so much with learning what they want to learn.

haha, I just turned 40, and I am starting to see what people mean when they talk about not being able to retain things as well as when they were younger! So, all this brain exercise is good for me, right?

Thank you so much!

Jean,

This makes sense to me. I do this a lot, too - sit down with my kids and do it along with them. For example, we have R&S for math and English - so I do the reviews, have ds read the lesson aloud, and then I do any teaching/practicing indicated in the TM (which usually clarifies the text further, for me anyway - ds claims to understand it just from his book - he, too, could probably sail ahead of me, but I want him to have a solid base). I do the same with Latin. LC1 has been OK, now that we are almost through, things have become clearer. I just need to tackle LC2 and get a big picture. It does take time, though, like you say. But hey, I committed to homeschool, this is what my time is for right now.

About my Spanish thread a few days ago....I went online and hunted around for Spanish grammar books. All I have to go on are the peeks into a few pages of the book on amazon, and the reviews people give. Since I can't look at the books (and can't easily get to a bookstore), I have to analyze the reviews carefully. Guess that's good for me. But anyway, I found Practical Spanish Grammar: A Self-Teaching Guide which looked interesting. It caught my eye because the STG series is recommended in the WTM high school science section. And JUST a few minutes ago, I was looking up something else in WTM, when I noticed in the high school foreign language resources, the STG are recommended to go along with Rosetta Stone and the other modern language programs mentioned in there. So, thanks to your post from months ago, I feel a little better about putting together a Spanish program for us and planning out when to do what.

Thanks for everything!

Hello and thank you, Marie, for jumping in here, too!

We, too, are waiting til 7th grade or so for logic, but are trying the Mind Benders for this coming 5th grade year. I've made my way through them, understand them (phew!), and think ds will have no problem. So, I've got a year to find the Critical Thinking books (just because they are recommended in WTM, unless I read specific reasons why other books are better than these), and two years to get a jump on logic. It's that Latin that is messing up my plan to study logic!!!! To hear that you are catching on to Latin is VERY encouraging to me! I am starting to see some patterns, but LC2 looks more difficult for this non-Latin person. I hope to post in about 8 years and say, "Latin's a breeze!" Of course, I'll probably get booed off the boards if I do, LOL!! :)

Yeah, writing was my "worry" a few months ago. I posted a lot about "how do I teach outlining?" Those worries are mostly over, on to new ones! LOL Of course, once we jump into the outlining, I'll probably have more questions......well, with homeschooling this way, the learning never ends, eh????

Thanks for your encouraging words!

You can do it, babe!

Rhonda

Rhonda, thank you for the cheerleading!!!!

I gave up the clean house long ago. Used to pride myself on it. No more. No more decorating/painting/crafting like I used to (I still occasionally craft still - for FUN). The thrift store furniture is still here, covered with thrift store blankets (clean, though, I DO keep up with laundry!), unrefinished secondhand furniture (kitchen table looks horrible all scratched up, but is clean for hygiene sake). We have a basic cleaning schedule for hygiene, but no more. All I care about is: clean dishes, clean clothes (and even there, the standards are lower than before), toys mostly picked up each evening, books mostly put back on shelves each evening, buying groceries regularly, and bookkeeping.

PLEASE post your LC2 information!!!!!!! NOW!!!!! No pressure or anything, LOL!

So can I pick your brain - why the Dandy Lion logic books instead of Critical Thinking? I've not seen either, I'm just going by what is in WTM. I trust the reasoning in there and that the resources will follow that reasoning. But I'm open to hearing why the DL books. And, if you are serious about the CT books, I might take you up on your offer!

Also, can you tell me why the Intro Logic DVDs - is it mostly for convenience? Do you think the books themselves are hard for a novice to teach?

Yep, these boards are great for getting answers quickly to those pressing, puzzling questions about curriculum. And for breaking down in tears when times get tough, to get some encouragement!!!

Good to hear about your progress with R&S 7. We're on book 4. Hopefully the background will help. I started off trying to study grammar on my own with book 7, and couldn't get past the 3rd or 4th lesson. Dropped back to 6, then 5, then 4!!!!! **I** am studying book 4! That was so humbling to realize. But, I love R&S for how they explain things. They make grammar and math make sense to me.

Thank you again!!

PLEASE post your LC2 information!!!!!!! NOW!!!!! No pressure or anything, LOL!

So can I pick your brain - why the Dandy Lion logic books instead of Critical Thinking? I've not seen either, I'm just going by what is in WTM. I trust the reasoning in there and that the resources will follow that reasoning. But I'm open to hearing why the DL books. And, if you are serious about the CT books, I might take you up on your offer!

Also, can you tell me why the Intro Logic DVDs - is it mostly for convenience? Do you think the books themselves are hard for a novice to teach?

Thank you again!!

Actually, I will try to post about LCII next week. This week I realized *I* just turned 40 as well, and have never *ONCE* planted my own tomatoes and peppers. Time to grow up and do the things I've always dreamed of before it's too late, right?

Anyway - about Critical Thinking - we were fine sitting on the couch reading the lesson and just talking about it until we got almost half-way through Book 1. This was last year (6th grade), and I'm trying to remember exactly what it was that threw us. We did try to go back to it more than once, and just never were successful.

(OK - coming back to this - I think we got to a point where many of the examples were using high school students/problems as examples. Since my ds didn't have any practical knowledge of what the examples were talking about (graduation requirements and how they're phrased, for example), it was becoming a "culture" class - and not necessarily always the kind of culture I wanted him to be exposed to.)

Anyway, I had been posting back and forth with Jean in Wisc about writing at the beginning of that year, and she mentioned that she really liked the Dandy Lion Logic series for middle school, and so many other people seemed to agree; it was pretty cheap, so I decided to try that for this year (7th grade). The difference in presentation was *so* substantial.

I have barely glanced at Intro/Logic since I got it in, but I think in all honesty that the DLL will have prepared him well. It may not cover *everything* that CT does, but it does cover quite a lot, and it covers beginning logical notation, syllogisms, and errors in thinking (and other stuff, too, but those are the things that it will be nice to have had exposure to before hitting Intro/Logic from the very little bit I've seen). I'm sure Jean or someone else could probably answer better than I!

At any rate, though I do help him over some hurdles in DLL, I basically had to drag him kicking and screaming through CT to the point where every question was "I don't know, Mom." At that point, it just seemed to be crushing him rather than helping.

As for the Logic DVD's - with trying to do Algebra next year (and *maybe* RS Spanish), and Logic becoming more of a real "class" rather than a 10-minute/day "fun time", I figured I better start looking at some of those "alternative" methods of teaching.

But honestly, just looking at the book to think of how to best answer your question, it doesn't really seem like it would be that difficult to do without them.

:auto:

Keep on truckin'

Rhonda

DLL will have prepared him well. It may not cover *everything* that CT does, but it does cover quite a lot, and it covers beginning logical notation, syllogisms, and errors in thinking.....but those are the things that it will be nice to have had exposure to before hitting Intro/Logic from the very little bit I've seen).

I just spent three concentrated hours with my Latin notebook. It has PL, LC1, and LC2 TMs all hole-punched in a three ring binder. I made notes, flipped back and forth between books, extracted important information about how to teach the stuff, figured out some of the "bigger picture," how to conduct a class, how to organize memory work and recitation. I made sure ALL the prayers, Latin sayings, and vocab were written on flashcards (I have the PL/LC1 card set, but not everything in the PL/LC1 books was written on a card). Then, I began sorting into piles - grammar forms, prayers, Latin sayings, nouns, verbs, etc.. Not finished yet, but I have a plan.

I now understand that I was supposed to have been reviewing all the vocab, etc. all year long, not just each week's lesson's cards. I learned the same kind of thing a few years ago with math - review the facts every day until automatic. Had some catch up to do. Have some catching up to do now in Latin. But I'm breathing easier, because I know ds will remember fairly quickly once I work more review into the daily routine.

So, I think I can look forward now and start making flashcards for LC2 (I know some people probably have their child do it each week, but trust me, it'll be far easier on me if I just do it for now, LOL!). Hey, I may even get around to making another set of PL and LC1 cards for my upcoming daughter and have those all ready in a year when she needs them! Anyway, I feel better about having a plan - finishing sorting those cards, implementing a better organized and more complete review of LC1 and PL (including the pronunciation CD for LC1 that we gave up on, and any grammar that is still foggy to me), and then, starting to work my way through the LC2 lessons (still apprehensive about that part). Then making a plan to take ds through it.

It's a great program, but I found myself wishing tonight that it was laid out a little more like R&S - R&S just lays out EVERYTHING so clearly and plainly. It tells you every single thing to do every single day. Oh well.

About logic - the parts of your quote I included above - well, Rhonda, you are convincing me MORE that Critical Thinking IS what I want!! LOL I also have a thread subscription that WTMindy started about CT - so I'm watching responses there, too, to find out more about these books that I can't see. If CT covers much of what we'll need for Intro to Logic, then I want it - with no logic background myself, I need all the help I can get.

I can see why you'd do the DVDs - I can see how ds will have slightly more work starting in grade 5 and onward.....time to keep my eyes and ears open in case I ever feel I need video help.

Thanks again! Yeah, a weekend cram session would be a blast! Last night I dreamed all night long about declensions and conjugations - it was awful. I think tonight (what's left of it, it's 1 a.m. here) I'll sleep much more easily.

Love these boards.