Menu

For those who use progesterone cream...

Do you ever take a break from it? I started using it probably a year or so ago and it made a tremendous difference...actually maybe it has been two years now. It still seems like my body is really needing it by the time I start it each month. But I am wondering if there is any benefit in stopping it for awhile. I know the part about using varied application spots but not sure if I should try completely stopping or not. And if I do and get part way into the month and feel like I really shouldn't have taken the month off, can I start it later in the month or will that completely mess things up?

Curious: do you use it for libido issues?

And does it increase your weight/hair in places you'd rather not have hair?

I have libido issues and am up for trying something.

Would I need to get a prescription from a doctor? Or can you pick this up at Walmart? :001_smile:

Alley

I only use it on days 12-26 each month. I should have worded my question to ask whether or not I should completely stop it for a whole month(s) at a time. By taking a break, I meant completely stopping it not just using it for a partial month as I do that already.

I use it for mood/pms improvement. I overall feel much better. I did read John Lee's book before I was willing to try it (at the suggestion of my ob/gyn.) I have never heard about the hair issue and it hasn't done that to me.

Would I need to get a prescription from a doctor? Or can you pick this up at Walmart? :001_smile:

Alley

I have been using progesterone cream for several years (with great results!) and have NEVER had any weight gain or hair growth problems. :001_smile: It certainly can help with libido issues . . . one of my girlfriends said her husband called it her "sex cream" and made SURE she remembered to apply it daily. :lol: Anyway, you can buy it through a company like Arbonne, but I have never seen it at Walmart (or any other retail outlet). Some people do get a prescription, but it isn't necessary and from what I've heard, a lot of doctors "poo-poo" it. Works for me, so I keep using it! It helps my mood swings to be much less pronounced, it helps me sleep better, and it helps the libido, too. Two important things you should know: you should not use it if you take anti-depressants and you should make sure you take one that is ONLY progesterone (no added estrogen) if you are on the pill. HTH!

Alley

You can get some at a speciality store, not Wal-Mart. I get mine via prescription at a special compounding pharmacy.

It takes a little while for it to kick in. It makes you pee, it helps with sleeping at night, it regulates and lightens your cycle, it makes you more fertile, it might increase acne, it *can* help with libido, it does help with mood swings...

Great exercise along with progesterone helped with libido, YMMV.

I have been using progesterone cream for several years (with great results!) and have NEVER had any weight gain or hair growth problems. :001_smile: It certainly can help with libido issues . . . one of my girlfriends said her husband called it her "sex cream" and made SURE she remembered to apply it daily. :lol: Anyway, you can buy it through a company like Arbonne, but I have never seen it at Walmart (or any other retail outlet). Some people do get a prescription, but it isn't necessary and from what I've heard, a lot of doctors "poo-poo" it. Works for me, so I keep using it! It helps my mood swings to be much less pronounced, it helps me sleep better, and it helps the libido, too. Two important things you should know: you should not use it if you take anti-depressants and you should make sure you take one that is ONLY progesterone (no added estrogen) if you are on the pill. HTH!

Why not with anti-depressents?

Why not with anti-depressents?

I used it while taking anti-depressants for a couple of years without any issue. But, I do agree with finding one without phytoestrogens added to it. I used to buy mine at a local health food store as it was the purest I have seen. One thing I learned through trying a couple was that you want the USP progesterone to be within the top 3 ingredients of the product, or you are getting a more "watered" down version.

I took it fairly consistently for 2 years then I just felt to stop it. I suspect my body might have been saturated with it, even though I only applied a small dose. I now only use it occasionally if I get bad PMS symptoms.

It really is the sort of thing you can play with yourself and see how you feel- I don't think there is any need for concern about stopping and starting it, although I would feel it if I took it sporadiclaly because it has such a strong effect on me.

I am not into maying for hormone testing but that is another possiblity. FOr some people, they end up overdosing and it supposedly stores in their fat cells. I don't know if thats what happened to me- I just knew it had been a godsend for those couple of years, then I felt to stop and I was fine. I may well start up again.

Wellbutrin doesn't seem to be in the family of anti-depressants like Effexor and Prozac.

Would it be okay to take Wellbutrin with the testosterone?

We have a Whole Foods by me. Do you think they'd carry it.

Testosterone is a male hormone. It's long been known to cause hair growth and weight gain which is why I asked.

If this dose is so small that it's not causing those problems - yea!!

I have a libido problem and I'm just tired of it. Tired of not having one that is.

Alley

I have Emerita. Haven't used it yet.

This is the one that was recommended to me when I had a breast thermogram. I'm very happy with it. I haven't been using it much in the past 6 or so weeks, however. But I will get back to it. Since I lost some weight (hcg diet), I don't feel that I need to use it as much as I did before. I think, and I could be wrong, that losing weight helps lower estrogen levels. Weight will always be a struggle for me. So I'm not going to get all cocky about that. I often regain ... :confused:

Here's the info based on what others have posted here as well as info that was given to me from the thermogram place about progesterone creams:

Oftentimes, estrogen dominance is due to a lack of progesterone. Balancing out estrogen with progesterone is important. Progesterone is the brake pedal for estrogen.

Consider progesterone cream if your thermogram shows that you have too much estrogen in your breast tissues. Not all progesterone creams are alike. Make sure to get one that is natural, organic, bio-identical and not synthetic. Emerita is a very good one. Karuna may also be good, although I’m not completely sure – worth looking into. Both are available from amazon. Ann Louise Gittleman also has one called ProgestaKey.

Please keep in mind natural does not imply organic. Many of these creams have not only the main ingredients based on phytoestrogens, but also have the toxic xenohormones, parabens and mineral oil too. They are far from organic. So be aware and ask questions about your creams!

Apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon of the progesterone cream directly to your breasts morning and evening. More progesterone is absorbed into breast tissues when it’s applied to them directly, and that’s ultimately where you want most of the progesterone to go. Do not apply it to other areas, even if the instructions tell you to do so. Progesterone receptors are only found in the breasts (and ovaries), so apply directly to the breasts to decrease vascularity. Repeated thermograms prove this is the only correct application method to reduce vascularity and risk. Or to explain this easier, if you cut your thumb and you apply Neosporin to your elbow how effective is that? Apply the cream directly to area that it is needed. It can reduce some signs of menopause when applied indirectly, but when you move it to the breasts you will see a greater decrease in menopause issues and more importantly you are reducing the vascularity in the breasts.

I think that someone here posted this. I saved it:

For those who turn up their nose at progesterone creams, do know that that Prempro is very different from progesterone. The former is a synthetic, the latter natural. The effects on the body therefore are much different. Also, many women who took Prempro also took Premarin, which aggravated everything. Beware of synthetic progesterone (progestin), which won’t work the way natural or bio-identical progesterone does. Your body has difficulty breaking down the synthetic form, used in birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy, so this altered form creates a potential for toxic effects. In fact, after progestin was added to HRT, women’s cancer risk increased!

Peela wrote this, I think ...

Peela, I hope you don't mind the fact that as usual, I copied and pasted:

Many do not feel comfortable taking even bio-identical progesterone indefinitely. They may use it for, a year or two, and then find that it is no longer as helpful as it was initially. Progesterone creams can be helpful for a short period of time, but over time the progesterone may build up in the fat layers of the body and is continually released over time from these cells. So, it’s possible that it loses its efficacy over time.

Peela wrote this, I think ...

Peela, I hope you don't mind the fact that as usual, I copied and pasted:

Many do not feel comfortable taking even bio-identical progesterone indefinitely. They may use it for, a year or two, and then find that it is no longer as helpful as it was initially. Progesterone creams can be helpful for a short period of time, but over time the progesterone may build up in the fat layers of the body and is continually released over time from these cells. So, it’s possible that it loses its efficacy over time.

Lol Negin, do you follow me around and save all my posts? :)

I dont even know if the above is true. I have read bits and pieces about it. I know I was on it for a couple of years then stopped.

Hormones are funny things and there is no set protocol that will work for everyone. I think it pays to educate yourself then be willing to experiment. Yes, it is possible to overdose on progesterone- but you will feel very sleepy so thats a good warning sign. And it probably wont actually do you harm, but the research just hasn't been done.

It pays to be an adventurer and experiment with yourself. It is probably also worth getting hormone testing. I am lazy about that.

Can you start any time in your cycle? I got some Emerita but I haven't used it yet. Like dancer67, maybe too scared to try it. One issue is that I think I am perimenopausal and my cycles are no longer predictable. I think the packaging said start on day 8 after your cycle begins, but I've also read other advice. But then I forgot and skipped a cycle the next month and here I am like 3 months later and haven't started it.:confused:

Can you start any time in your cycle? I got some Emerita but I haven't used it yet. Like dancer67, maybe too scared to try it. One issue is that I think I am perimenopausal and my cycles are no longer predictable. I think the packaging said start on day 8 after your cycle begins, but I've also read other advice. But then I forgot and skipped a cycle the next month and here I am like 3 months later and haven't started it.:confused:

Yes and I would track it. Usually you start on Day 14 (Day 1 is 1st of period) and use it til Day 1 of next cycle. I use it everyday except for period days.

I have a menstrual app that I use to mark down when I take the cream. It lightened my cycle and help regulate it (better, still not like clockwork).

Lol Negin, do you follow me around and save all my posts? :)

Peela, I hope I didn't upset you or anything. My apologies if I did. I absolutely LOVE your posts. You have an incredible amount of knowledge, and, as I've told you before, if you ever write a book, I'll be the first to buy several copies. :D

I dont even know if the above is true. I have read bits and pieces about it. I know I was on it for a couple of years then stopped.

Hormones are funny things and there is no set protocol that will work for everyone. I think it pays to educate yourself then be willing to experiment. Yes, it is possible to overdose on progesterone- but you will feel very sleepy so thats a good warning sign. And it probably wont actually do you harm, but the research just hasn't been done.

It pays to be an adventurer and experiment with yourself. It is probably also worth getting hormone testing. I am lazy about that.

So very true. Perhaps the part that I quoted wasn't from you after all.

Peela, I hope I didn't upset you or anything. My apologies if I did. I absolutely LOVE your posts. You have an incredible amount of knowledge, and, as I've told you before, if you ever write a book, I'll be the first to buy several copies. :D

You are a sweetheart- no I am not upset. It's just my interest, but I am no expert- just a fellow journeyer, and i like to read widely which sometimes gives me a different perspective. I am sitting here reading the Longevity Now program by David Wolfe- now, he is an expert. I learn a lot from him.

You are a sweetheart- no I am not upset.

:grouphug: Thank you for your your very kind words.

It's just my interest, but I am no expert- just a fellow journeyer, and i like to read widely which sometimes gives me a different perspective. I am sitting here reading the Longevity Now program by David Wolfe- now, he is an expert. I learn a lot from him.

Sounds so interesting. I love learning about all this stuff and find it truly fascinating. Going to look into that. :)