Menu

Teaching writing resources?

Thanks much for the recommendations and it sounds like most of you have found something that works. I looked at Verticity but couldn't quite figure out from the website what it includes that results in the high cost. My older dc all used IEW in coop classes but I think that would take quite a bit of tweaking to work for this child. If anyone else wants to chime in please do.

Verticity Writing includes the teachers manual (this is worth its weight in gold), the workbook, extra work pages, and the Kidsperation software. It does not seem like much but the secret is in the manual. It is very systematic which is good for dysgraphia. I am not sure that I could purchase the workbook and the software and do it as well without the manual. We have already decided that my ds will go through all the levels. We are using the yellow level. Calvert will sell the writing program only. If you call them they can help you navigate the website. I do believe they have some samples online you can look at. They have a placement test as well to help you choose where your child belongs or you can pick the level. I know I choked on the price too but it is well worth it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alexis121

The National Writing Project's 30 Ideas for Teaching Writing offers successful strategies contributed by experienced writing project teachers. Since NWP does not promote a single approach to teaching writing, readers will benefit from a variety of eclectic, classroom-tested techniques.Few sources available today offer writing teachers such succinct, practice-based help—which is one reason why 30 Ideas for Teaching Writing was the winner of the Association of Education Publishers 2005 Distinguished Achievement Award for Instructional Materials.

These ideas originated as full-length articles in NWP publications (a link to the full article accompanies each idea below).

Table of Contents: 30 Ideas for Teaching Writing

1. Use the shared events of students' lives to inspire writing.
  2. Establish an email dialogue between students from different schools who are reading the same book.
  3. Use writing to improve relations among students.
  4. Help student writers draw rich chunks of writing from endless sprawl.
  5. Work with words relevant to students' lives to help them build vocabulary.
  6. Help students analyze text by asking them to imagine dialogue between authors.
  7. Spotlight language and use group brainstorming to help students create poetry.
  8. Ask students to reflect on and write about their writing.
  9. Ease into writing workshops by presenting yourself as a model.
  10. Get students to focus on their writing by holding off on grading.:iagree:

I bought a packet of information/student workbook for “Framing Your Thoughts†and we are just finishing up with it. It’s not the entire program, but it was enough to get us started. The program teaches basic composition skills incrementally. My son made a lot of progress in his writing. I tried over a dozen writing programs, but this is the one that my son finally responded to positively. It is hands-on and color coded which was something that he really needed.

I really the Landmark books too: http://www.landmarkoutreach.org/publications3.htm