Menu

Listening to classical music all day...

kristinannie

I have decided to start listening to one of the classical music channels on my cable all day in the background. For some reason, I stay calmer. There is a lot of chaos in our house with 3 kids 4 and under, a very hyper black lab and a cat (who we really don't see). Somehow, everything just seems calmer with the music on. Like it is cheerful noise instead of noise pollution! Just thought I'd share! :001_smile:

Just don't go overboard like my mom did. She used to have a radio on in every single room in the house, tuned to NPR. I could never get away from it! I still turn off radios when visiting her house. And I can't bring myself to listen to NPR on my own as an adult.

Thankfully, I do still enjoy classical music, thanks to being a band geek. :D

My cousin, who is a director of a local church childcare, has said that studies show that in classrooms where classical music is played, the children are calmer than in other classrooms. Needless to say, I have it on when I can when we're home. It is a bit calming and relaxing and it does seem that the kids aren't at each other's throats as much.

I have started putting on classical music to wake up my kids in the morning. We have also started a new rhythm of gathering in mom's bed and reading a picture book. This week we read about Jackson Pollack, Babe Ruth and Abraham Lincoln. We read while Beethoven is playing in the background. These two things have added a calmness to our morning.

Just don't go overboard like my mom did. She used to have a radio on in every single room in the house, tuned to NPR. I could never get away from it! I still turn off radios when visiting her house. And I can't bring myself to listen to NPR on my own as an adult.

Thankfully, I do still enjoy classical music, thanks to being a band geek. :D

My husband is obsessed with sports talk radio so I feel your pain whenever I am on a long car trip! :lol:

I like classical music and so do my kids, but if it's playing while we're trying to work (even artwork), it starts to make us feel agitated. My husband says the same thing. I also noticed that it really bothered the little boy I used to have over to do art with us. I kind of thought that was the norm with classical music until this thread. I had thought I had read that it's really not music that's meant to be relaxing??:confused:

It seems like we're all a bunch of weirdos though, if people are playing it for whole classrooms of children and finding it calms them.

Lisa

It seems like we're all a bunch of weirdos though, if people are playing it for whole classrooms of children and finding it calms them.

:lol:

I think it would depend on WHAT you're listening to. Classical music has a wide range of emotions! I would get excited listening to the Firebird Suite, but very calmed by listening to Pachelbel's Canon. :)

:lol:

I think it would depend on WHAT you're listening to. Classical music has a wide range of emotions! I would get excited listening to the Firebird Suite, but very calmed by listening to Pachelbel's Canon. :)

:iagree: -- That's why I love classical - it seems freer (hope that word is spelled right).

I was trying to motivate myself on my Latin, so I found a youtube playlist of Catholic Latin chants and such. I'm really enjoying them, which I never thought I would.

I just played the Light Classical channel today until dinner time. It was not loud and was just kind of in the background. My 3 year old is very musical. During a Tchaikovski piece, she said, "Mommy, this sounds like a parade." It was really cute. Ever since I turned it off, all heck has broken loose in this house (although evenings are usually that way, especially when Mommy is sick and Daddy isn't getting home until after the kids go to bed!)

i need to try this classical thing. the scottish music we have going right now is making warriors out of my boys...or at least helping to bring it out.

:lol: Definitely marking Scottish music off my play list... I don't need anything bringing that out in my boys. It's already out! :tongue_smilie:

We listen to classical music all day. If I play it in our homeschool loft, the whole house can hear it.

Back when I used to program for a living, I listed to chill music. I need music to relax and concentrate. I need more upbeat music to clean. I NEED music to do almost anything!