Menu

Building toy recommendations?

Tinker Toys! We LOVE them. We also like Lincoln Logs and legos (and just depending on your child he might be ok with them. I let my 2 year old play with them supervised).

If I had to chose one for his age though would definitely be the tinker toys. If he still puts things in his mouth there will be a few pieces you will want to take out before he plays.

Oh, I almost forgot - my kids love magna-tiles. LOVE them. We have two sets of 100 each (200 total). The clear ones are the best (they aren't really clear, they are just clear colored plastic. They are pricey though, but a lot of fun and mine have gotten years of fun out of them.

Look for Simple Machines on YouTube to get ideas. There are some very creative kids out there making things from household objects.

We have large & small wooden blocks, lego, tree blocks, pattern blocks etc. What about items outside? My youngest makes little houses and such from sticks and plants. She spends hours out there in warmer weather hunting for items and building. She made a cute fairy village last year. She used grasses, weeds, flowers etc to create paths and roofs. My dh took a tree down a few years ago, and the kids made a hut from the all the zillions of long twigs and branches. There are always blankets, sheets, chairs, rope for tents and such in the living room when freezing.

Edited by LibraryLover

Tinker Toys! We LOVE them. We also like Lincoln Logs and legos (and just depending on your child he might be ok with them. I let my 2 year old play with them supervised).

If I had to chose one for his age though would definitely be the tinker toys. If he still puts things in his mouth there will be a few pieces you will want to take out before he plays.

My three year old got tinker toys for his birthday and can not put them together yet. They are a "sit on the floor with dad and watch Dad do all this cool stuff" toys

The building toy he actually uses the most is his Duplos. Wooden blocks are a close second.

Zoobs. They have a version for little hands. Knex has a widdle version, too.

Do you have access to a place where a lot of coffee is drunk? I collected about 30 empty folger's (red plastic, black lid) coffee containers and kiddo stacked them a thousand times. As he got older, an oversized hollow, plastic b-ball bat did a noisy but safe job on the stacks. He could swing at full force, and not hurt anything.

Magna tiles look so great! My older DS started playing with regular legos a little after he turned 3. We took him to the lego store and let him fill a small bin with the pieces he wanted. We've added 3 guys. He plays with this little selection frequently and happily. So your little guy might not be far from being lego-ready. I like our tree blocks too since he has to be very careful with the balance of the pieces, although they are also fun for wee ones.