Menu

Question about Campbell Biology Exploring Life

I went through a list of labs and there don't seem to be any dissections. Don't most high school bio courses include dissections? I'm not dying to do them, mind you, but maybe we could just add in a few online "virtual" ones, and maybe catch and dissect a fish along the way and call it good?

Also, is there a good place to just buy the required lab materials as a kit?

Thanks so much!!!

Carolina Labs has kits and supplies:

http://www.carolina.com/category/preserved+organisms/dissection+kits/multi-organism+dissection+kits.do

You can also get dissection kits and supplies at Home Training Tools. I've linked to a mammal organ kit. We are going to buy a couple of cow's eyes from them to dissect, along with everything else I can lay my hands on. 9th grade is going to be fun!

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/product_categories/139/products/3087-mammal-organs-dissection-kit

I just bought a book from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Dissect-William-Berman/dp/0671763423/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1209599988&sr=8-1

How to Dissect, by William Berman. There are directions for how to dissect earthworms, crayfish, grasshoppers, clams, squid, starfish, dogfish sharks, perches, frogs, fetal pigs, and gladioli.

I went through a list of labs and there don't seem to be any dissections. Don't most high school bio courses include dissections? I'm not dying to do them, mind you, but maybe we could just add in a few online "virtual" ones, and maybe catch and dissect a fish along the way and call it good?

Also, is there a good place to just buy the required lab materials as a kit?

Thanks so much!!!

Some schools introduce dissections at a younger age. I have heard the theory that some school administrators feel dissections are not worth the trouble they bring from students and/or parents who object. I've also heard the theory (from parents) that schools don't want to place scalpels in students' hands.

On the AP Biology Listserv which I read, one teacher commented that students went through dissections at lightening speed, making less than precise cuts and missing the point of the exercise.

I have several good friends who are biology professors at universities and one a retired biology teacher from a residential prep school. None of them feel that virtual dissections duplicate the real thing.

My son did his first dissection in a summer science class at age 7. His victim was a squid and he wrote his name with the "squid pen"--he's never forgotten that. Personally I was glad to send him off to a weekend science course this year at which he dissected a sheep's brain. He also photographed a loon necropsy which I thought was a great lesson in anatomy. The point here is that you can go ahead and buy kits or you can be more creative in finding some dissection experiences for your student.

Jane

• 4 months later...

Hi Beth,

I am in the process of planning labs for my son and a couple of friends who are using Apologia. We will definitely be doing discections in the spring! I have been pleased to find a number of materials needed for EL labs in the Home Science Tools catalog. Plus, they have excellent customer service and fast shipping (I live in CA and generally receive orders within 2 or 3 days.) I will be ordering soil testing kits tomorrow.

Blessings,

April

Hi Beth,

I am in the process of planning labs for my son and a couple of friends who are using Apologia. We will definitely be doing discections in the spring! I have been pleased to find a number of materials needed for EL labs in the Home Science Tools catalog. Plus, they have excellent customer service and fast shipping (I live in CA and generally receive orders within 2 or 3 days.) I will be ordering soil testing kits tomorrow.

Blessings,

April

Home Science Tools, huh? What microscope did you buy? Did you buy a ready-made kit w/ specimens and slides? Which labs from the EL lab book are you doing?

Thanks!!!