Menu

composting

Go ahead and start your pile now. It takes a few months to get it ready for use. You can do it in buckets or trash cans if you're not ready to build compost bins, you can purchase a compost bin (a lot of DIY stores carry these in their garden section now), you can build a bin out of pallets, or you can just do a pile on the ground.

Here's a good link on the how-to by one of our favorite organic gardening guru's, Paul James who used to be on HGTV.

Make sure you don't have any city ordinances against the piles. and find a sunny place in your yard that you can begin.

There are a lot of tutorials on youtube and on gardening websites. I made mine out of plastic chicken wire that I had lying around, plastic tabs to close it up, wood stakes to anchor it.

I made it in around 15 minutes, who knows if it'll work??? :D

Off to check out Darcy's links.. :auto:

:lurk5:

I have those black plastic compost bins with aeration on the sides, but they are not necessary. They work though. We are in the city- I have 3.

I went to a composting workshop last year- we made a very very big compost pile.

The trick is to alternate layers between "greens" and "browns".

Greens are kitchen refuse and grass clippings- things that tend to rot quickly and can smell if not layered with browns. Dry grass clippings can be considered browns though.

Browns are various manures and also hay/lucerne etc.

So I tend to put in a bucket of kitchen scraps then maybe a spadeful of chicken manure from the chook pen, or an armful of hay or dry grass clippings. It just helps stop the other from rotting and getting smelly and slimy.

I am not scientific about it at al though and will often put in scraps for a while, then chuck in some garden clippings, then I might buy a bag of manure and throw that on top, and some hay from the chook pen. It usually takes me many weeks before it is full, then I water it, put the lid on and don't touch it for a couple of months.

We have plastic trash cans. Dh used an ice pick to add the 'aeration' in the form of holes around the sides and on the bottom. We use a bungee to keep the top secured. When it needs to be turned I kick it over and roll it a few times. We have 2 - we use one for 6 months or until it is getting to heavy to roll, then switch to the other while the first ages.

We have plastic trash cans. Dh used an ice pick to add the 'aeration' in the form of holes around the sides and on the bottom. We use a bungee to keep the top secured. When it needs to be turned I kick it over and roll it a few times. We have 2 - we use one for 6 months or until it is getting to heavy to roll, then switch to the other while the first ages.

I like this idea...I just see the kids pushing the cans around the yard...thanks.

We have just used a pile of the ground for the last couple of years. It rotted down fine (so long as I got the composition roughly right) but apparently didn't heat up enough to kill seeds, so I had lots of tomato seedings come up when I used the compost as mulch.

We are now using compost bins with padded covers, hoping that this will help with the heating up. The old compost is still great for burying around the roots of new plants.

I save cardboard boxes through the winter to rip up and add in with the grass clippings in the summer - otherwise the grass clippings go slimy and then solid.

Laura

Just a thought open piles or plastic bins. We have found that they attract a lot of wildlife. Our dog has tangled with more wildlife (think skunks) since we started composting. We have a black plastic composter and the squirrels have chewed holes in the sides to get in. I threw some old oranges in there one day and came home to find them all up in a tree. Needless to say the squirrels and mice were taking off with most of my compost. This year we are trying an aluminum garbage can with some holes drilled in the bottom. Maybe our garden will finally see the benefits of our composting.

Just a thought open piles or plastic bins. We have found that they attract a lot of wildlife. Our dog has tangled with more wildlife (think skunks) since we started composting. We have a black plastic composter and the squirrels have chewed holes in the sides to get in. I threw some old oranges in there one day and came home to find them all up in a tree. Needless to say the squirrels and mice were taking off with most of my compost. This year we are trying an aluminum garbage can with some holes drilled in the bottom. Maybe our garden will finally see the benefits of our composting.

if you are using aluminum garbage cans, how are you turning your compost? I am trying to figure out what is best for us....I don't want wildlife coming into our yard and we have squirrels too...so this sounds interesting.

if you are using aluminum garbage cans, how are you turning your compost? I am trying to figure out what is best for us....I don't want wildlife coming into our yard and we have squirrels too...so this sounds interesting.

you can do it with a pitchfork, or you can secure the lid and roll it :)

If you've got snow on the ground, you can start your initial pile in a box or trash can or whatever you have to get it started. Keep it in a sunny place, and turn it often.

in the house..or outside? How often is often...daily? What do I put in it to start with? I don't have leaves or grass clippings...