Menu

Math at home ...

Another math thread...:tongue_smilie:

I am new to this forum, and after reading quiet a bit on Homeschooling k-12 board, I was wondering, if my kids are in PS, should I top them with homeschool curriculums like SM, CLE, MM etc???

Your advice will help me decide.

If your dc are young (grades 4 & down), I suggest using games, cards, computer math and other devices to do math afterschool. Books like: Games for Math, Kaye; Family Math, and others.

Singapore Math is good for afterschooling because it doesn't have the dc do too many problems/writing like most homeschool math curricula. Singapore also has computer math games that are good.

I have a first grader and we work through Singapore 1A (almost finished!) and Kumon math. I'm really lucky his school is doing a great job with math (Saxon with a wee bit of Singapore). We only get to do math 2 or 3 times a week.

We also try to play math games with cards or Head Full of Numbers. My son also plays his Leapster on weekends, some of the games quiz him on math facts.

Seems like most people are using Singapore math, what all should I buy, I think there are bunch of books for them , teacher manual, workbooks, practice tests.. etc...

What should be teh best place to buy them ...

Further advice from awesome hives like you, would be much appreciated!:001_smile:

Another math thread...:tongue_smilie:

I am new to this forum, and after reading quiet a bit on Homeschooling k-12 board, I was wondering, if my kids are in PS, should I top them with homeschool curriculums like SM, CLE, MM etc???

Your advice will help me decide.

Most likely, yes. Even if your school isn't using a completely reform math curriculum like Everyday Math or TERC Investigations, there are likely heavy elements of reform injected into the teaching like excessive group work, excessive amounts of time spent on discovery, and/or a lack of practice of facts and skills. Supplementing that at home with something more content-rich like Singapore or Saxon and including lots of practice would create a necessary balance to what dc may be getting at ps.

I suggest teaching math facts strategies (very nicely introduced in Right Start Math) and lots of practice to master those math facts.

Also, Singapore Math is very easy to follow and a strong program.

Another favorite of mine is Right Start Math -- I use it often when tutoring kids whose classroom program is Everyday Math.

I suggest teaching math facts strategies (very nicely introduced in Right Start Math) and lots of practice to master those math facts.

Also, Singapore Math is very easy to follow and a strong program.

Another favorite of mine is Right Start Math -- I use it often when tutoring kids whose classroom program is Everyday Math.

:iagree:

I would definitely recommend the Rightstart Math cards and games book. It reinforces math facts in a fun way via games.

:iagree:

I would definitely recommend the Rightstart Math cards and games book. It reinforces math facts in a fun way via games.

Me, too. I love RightStart for the very early grades, but I wouldn't stop at the Math Games. To combat Everyday Math, you've got to be intentional about teaching math facts, standard algorithms, and consistant practice. Believe it or not, all those things are missing from EM.

Me, too. I love RightStart for the very early grades, but I wouldn't stop at the Math Games. To combat Everyday Math, you've got to be intentional about teaching math facts, standard algorithms, and consistant practice. Believe it or not, all those things are missing from EM.

But they may not be missing from the classroom instruction. My kids use Everyday Math in elementary school, but there is also a lot of focus on memorizing and practicing math facts. (The teachers even sneak in the standard algorithms eventually.)

But they may not be missing from the classroom instruction. My kids use Everyday Math in elementary school, but there is also a lot of focus on memorizing and practicing math facts. (The teachers even sneak in the standard algorithms eventually.)

Those are missing from my children's classrooms where they are using TERC. 4th grade teacher did sneak in the standard alg for subtraction with borrowing a couple weeks ago though, but that was on a sheet she sent home for parents. Not sure it was taught in class. They do not drill facts at all.

We're afterschooling with Math Mammoth with great success! My DD's in 4th grade and her school is using TERC. Not good! MM is quick and effective, and takes NO planning on my part. So it's very good for afterschooling. Just one worktext, no teacher manual or extra workbooks needed. It's all in one.

That's an awesome post! :001_smile:

Those are missing from my children's classrooms where they are using TERC. 4th grade teacher did sneak in the standard alg for subtraction with borrowing a couple weeks ago though, but that was on a sheet she sent home for parents. Not sure it was taught in class. They do not drill facts at all.

And that's so sad for all the other kids. It's got to be criminal.

That's an awesome post! :001_smile:

And that's so sad for all the other kids. It's got to be criminal.

And it gets better ;) Not only does it easily teach Singapore methods in a completely open n go format, but DD can do it independently when needed since it's so clear and concise and written to the student. This translates into, "MM gets done even when mom is busy with homework with the 1st grader and is also trying to chase the 1yo and occupy the 4yo since the circus starts when the big two get home from school."

Yes, it has got to be criminal! DD was telling me yesterday all about how they are arranged in table groups and do all their work together except for tests and quizzes. :001_huh: Group work WAY over-emphasized. So, as long as one kid "gets it" enough, they all get credit even if they don't "get it". She doesn't like it...they are both ready to come back home and learn!

Yes, it has got to be criminal! DD was telling me yesterday all about how they are arranged in table groups and do all their work together except for tests and quizzes. :001_huh: Group work WAY over-emphasized. So, as long as one kid "gets it" enough, they all get credit even if they don't "get it". She doesn't like it...they are both ready to come back home and learn!

That's exactly right. I was at public math forum of primarily parents and concerned citizens last night, and that comment was made several times. Parents realize something's not right, but in admitting it, they'd be then faced with having to do something about it.

It's about time we face it - we have to do something about it. With the retirement of the baby boomers, the first generation that was subjected to a heavy dose of reform math education will move into high professional, political, and other positions, and the generation to follow won't be much better.