Menu

Pen tablets for the computer?? Anyone have one?

My dd wants to get a pen tablet for the computer so she can draw and do graphic arts type of stuff. I've started doing some preliminary research online and I can see that they can get pretty pricey and can do a wide range of tasks. Does anyone have experience with these that can recommend a good one for $100.00 or less, that can do the types of tasks my dd wants to do well??

Thanks so much to all who reply. :)

We have this one http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php and got it on sale for less than $100. We got it at one of the big electronics stores but they said they were not going to stock it anymore and it was much less expensive than we could find it online.

It was suggested for my daughter's online math class. She disliked it from day one. I thought it worked fine and just needed getting used to but it sits to the side or in front of the computer and makes her hand too far disconnected from what her eyes see.

I didn't have that problem with it and it may have been a matter of maturity or hand/eye coordination that hadn't yet developed for my girl It was a couple of years ago, maybe three.

So, my daughter would recommend against it but I say that if she wants one and if you can find one less expensive, why not? You'd probably want to consider the hand/eye coordination of your daughter.

You make me want to dig ours out and see if she'll like it better these days.

We got our dd(11) a Bamboo pen for Christmas, but she hasn't worked with it enough for us to really give it much of a review. She has done a couple of illustrations with it, but had some difficulty with it yesterday. I'm not sure if the problem was it or her, though.

My dd is on her second Wacom Intuos (in the medium size). She handed down the first one to her sister. They both love them. Neither one has had any problems. Dd does some unbelievable stuff on it. If she is really into drawing, I would recommend saving up and getting the medium intuos instead of the smaller Bamboo. I think my dd would have gone nuts with the tiny surface it has. I found the best deal at Amazon. They have one at a student price that is lower than you can get at the Wacom site. It is expensive, but it has probably saved me that much in paper and pencils!!!:D

Thank you all so much for the replies. :) so it looks like the Wacom is a good choice. I was looking at some of those on amazon.com and reading some things online about what things are important to look for in a writing pad, but one thing I guess I'm not understanding, probably since I've never actually seen on in action, is how do you use it? Do you put the pad on your lap and draw on it like you would a sketch book or is it something more like drawing on the pad while looking at the computer monitor?

DD really wants it exclusively for drawing and graphic arts so I want to get one that will be good. What is the minimum size screen that would be good for those applications? What features are the most important that I should get? Thanks so much. I really am so technologically handicapped. My dd though is not. lol

Also, if ya'll don't mind, would any of you be willing to look at these and tell me if they look any good? Any advice/insights you can give is truly appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Tablet-Telbak-Technology-Telbak-com/dp/B002N5EX7G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3905QWN0AQCB0&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

http://www.amazon.com/Uc-logic-Graphics-5-5x4-Drawing-Tablet/dp/B0007O3G4G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWW76W55GIL60&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Factory-Refurbished/dp/B003LVKQ18/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEYGAWQZ7NT45&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

@ MomOfOneFunOne -- I hope you dig yours out and try again. Maybe now it will work out for your dd?

Thank you all so much for the replies. :) so it looks like the Wacom is a good choice. I was looking at some of those on amazon.com and reading some things online about what things are important to look for in a writing pad, but one thing I guess I'm not understanding, probably since I've never actually seen on in action, is how do you use it? Do you put the pad on your lap and draw on it like you would a sketch book or is it something more like drawing on the pad while looking at the computer monitor?

DD really wants it exclusively for drawing and graphic arts so I want to get one that will be good. What is the minimum size screen that would be good for those applications? What features are the most important that I should get? Thanks so much. I really am so technologically handicapped. My dd though is not. lol

Also, if ya'll don't mind, would any of you be willing to look at these and tell me if they look any good? Any advice/insights you can give is truly appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Tablet-Telbak-Technology-Telbak-com/dp/B002N5EX7G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3905QWN0AQCB0&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

http://www.amazon.com/Uc-logic-Graphics-5-5x4-Drawing-Tablet/dp/B0007O3G4G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWW76W55GIL60&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Factory-Refurbished/dp/B003LVKQ18/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEYGAWQZ7NT45&colid=2EKN82J52NMB3

@ MomOfOneFunOne -- I hope you dig yours out and try again. Maybe now it will work out for your dd?

You draw on the pad while looking at the picture on the computer screen. My dd uses a program called GIMP to do her work. She likes it better than Photoshop which is (I think) what most people use.

I would go with the Wacom product just because I have experience with them and know they make a good product. One of dd's friends had a Bamboo (like the one you linked). Dd had originally asked for it too (she doesn't like us spending money on her), but after researching I got the Intuos medium instead. Her friend now has the Intuos medium also. The Bamboo is a bit frustrating to work with for drawing because it is so small. It does work though. Dd tried using her friend's Bamboo and came home and thanked me for getting the Intuos instead.

Adding a couple of samples of dd's work done on her tablet.

Edited by Lolly

You draw on the pad while looking at the picture on the computer screen. My dd uses a program called GIMP to do her work. She likes it better than Photoshop which is (I think) what most people use.

I would go with the Wacom product just because I have experience with them and know they make a good product. One of dd's friends had a Bamboo (like the one you linked). Dd had originally asked for it too (she doesn't like us spending money on her), but after researching I got the Intuos medium instead. Her friend now has the Intuos medium also. The Bamboo is a bit frustrating to work with for drawing because it is so small. It does work though. Dd tried using her friend's Bamboo and came home and thanked me for getting the Intuos instead.

Thank you so much. I'll look into the Intuos. :)

My kids have the Bamboo Pen and love them. They do some great drawings with their pens. I thought about getting them the Pen and Touch but the reviews on the touch were not as great. The touch technology can be improved, and will be a better choice for the next update or two. The pen is a great entry level for them, and when/if they are prepared for more advanced work I'll upgrade them to the latest technology. The biggest problem we're having now is that my dh keeps stealing their tablets, and it's causing all kinds of screeching! Good thing he has a birthday coming up. ;)

I use it to 'write' on the virtual whiteboard during my online math classes.

I do recommend that you go to Wacom.com and download the NEWEST version of the driver-- don't rely on 'plug and play' or any software that came with. Having the newest driver will make using it so much easier!

I use it to 'write' on the virtual whiteboard during my online math classes.

I do recommend that you go to Wacom.com and download the NEWEST version of the driver-- don't rely on 'plug and play' or any software that came with. Having the newest driver will make using it so much easier!

Thank you so much. :)

We have a Bamboo drawing tablet for ds #1's computer. It works very, very well. It also interfaces (ummmmm, I think that's the right word) with his animation studio software. He's busy writing a robotics game in Visual Basic and importing the graphics from the animation studio.

Faith

Oh good to know. I bought my dd animation software for Christmas. Is the screen size an issue for him? Thanks so much. :)

Hi Ibby,

It's about a 6"x8" pad - I'm guessing here because I don't have time to go measure it; I'm heading out to the freezing cold barn here in about two minutes.

What he draws appears as he draws on the computer monitor. I do think that he had some adjustments to make because he is used to drawing in a sketch book which is a lot more space. But, like most kids, it didn't take him long to learn to draw in the smaller space provided. I think the software that comes with the bamboo allows the student to navigate around the drawing with the mouse so if they are sketching something larger than the pad itself, they can adjust which quadrant of the picture the artist is drawing on. It will be about 90 minutes before I get back from the barn. I'll try to get ds to give me some more information about it and maybe dh (Mr. Computer guru) will be off his conference call and I can ask him some questions for you.

We purchased the Bamboo at Staple's because we had about $10.00 in rewards money and none of the other suppliers we checked were having a sale. Even Amazon was about the same price.

Faith

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Pen-Tablet/dp/B002OOWC3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297343372&sr=1-1

The best $58 you'll ever spend!!! :)

I'd recommend getting a notebook sleeve to protect it against scratches.

Regarding the size of the pad, I was concerned about it being too small too. But drawing with them is totally different from drawing on paper. You can compare it to moving your cursor with small movements on the touchpad or with a mouse - you don't have to fit the whole drawing into the small space. Does that make sense? They can pick up and leave off anywhere in the drawing, so the size hasn't been a problem. The artwork that comes out is amazing!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I use a wacom with my graphic work (creating fonts and digital scrapbooking elements), and have completely replaced my mouse. I don't use my mouse at all any longer.

I use the smaller of the pads - the 6x4, and it's plenty big enough with the space that I have, but will be upgrading to a larger bamboo soon! I love it. I can't even function on a mouse any longer. The pen just gives me too much control!

Thank you all so much for your wonderful replies. They are so helpful. I really appreciate your help and insights. I had my dd read this thread so she can see your replies and how it would pertain to her and what she wants to do with her art work. She's really getting excited about getting one. I just want to be sure to get the right one though to fit her needs. :)