Menu

Covering basic math facts what would you use for

Gamom3

summer? My dd knows how to do basic math, but she isn't strong at it.

I want something to use with her to get her where she needs to be and at the speed she needs to be..she is VERY slow when it comes to math.

I want something for her to do over the summer, I would prefer worksheets. Timed ones might do her good as well.

If you want worksheets/drills, you can Google those names and you'll come up with lots of stuff!

Singapore could be good to work on certain skills. You could check that out.

Or, you could go to a local store that carries workbooks, and find one that would have problems that would help your dd practice what she needs to work on.

Hope you find what she needs!

I am also looking for something to do with math this summer. DS (10) can do it all but he's very reluctant and slow. I really can't tell whether he is struggling with the information or just being a pain...or maybe a little of both. I've never really stressed timed fact sheets (completing the page in under 5 minutes or under 2 minutes) because whatever number he completes in whatever amount of time it takes him are nearly always correct. (That may have been poorly worded...wrestling with a baby as I type.)

I was trying to decide between one of those review workbooks from the local teacher store and something like math wrap-ups or maybe the "Key To..." series.

I have always intended to continue light schooling through the summer but in 6 years have never really managed it. I want it to either be so fun he hardly knows he's doing school or so painless that I don't have to hear about it. :glare:

I got it at Sam's Club or Walmart pretty cheaply, but Amazon has it for $10.17, if those options aren't available to you. It has practice pages and timed tests for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and it starts with just a few facts at a time to help kids develop the skills they need. I found it invaluable when I needed to help one of my dc solidify and speed up math fact recall.

There are a bunch of worksheet generators online for math facts. Most are free. Math U See has a worksheet generator for all basic math facts as well as online drills. http://www.mathusee.com Here is another:

http://www.worksheetworks.com

Here is one for playing math games:

http://www.mathplayground.com

You can also use learning wrap-ups while you are traveling or waiting at the dr. or dentist. You could play the card game War had have her add, subtract, multiply using the numbers laid down before she can keep the cards. Use a set of dice. Have her roll the dice and then add, subtract, mult. the numbers shown. HTH

My dd is using Calculadder worksheets. I have the CD, and print out the worksheets. This is the only drill she hasn't complained about (and I've tried lots of different things); she likes moving up through the levels and surprisingly doesn't seem to mind the timed aspect.

So I just started adding a short drill worksheet to our list for the day. I would just put a few on each day so they weren't overwhelmed. It seemed to help a lot.

I downloaded Basic Facts Worksheet Factory (for free, can't remember the url) and also used Super Kids Math Worksheets at www.superkids.com.

We also did Flashkids for M&Ms as treats occassionally, but the drill sheets seemed to be the most productive.

We use various materials to address learning styles.

Learning Wrap-ups, for all four operations, for visual, tactile and kinesthetic.

Audio Memory's "Songs" tapes in the car, for all four operations, for auditory and verbal, and the love of music. These come with a workbook, which I xerox and he can do the pages over and over, if need be.

I don't know what these are called, a board with buttons printed with a number sentence like 4+3, then you push the button and can see through the button the answer like 7. I have three of these and am still looking for division. This is also visual, tactile and kinesthetic.

Oh, almost forgot. We don't use it, but I am aware that Saxon has timed exercises for the basic facts. I don't know if it is a charge item/service or what the set up is.

I hope this helps you.:)

Something that has really worked here is to just toss a ball back and forth outside and do the math. You call out the problem and they shout out the answer. We try to do it like a rhyme.

9 plus 9 is and dc answers 18

9 plus 8 is 17

9 plus 7 is 16

and so on.

For subtraction you turn it around

18 minus 9 is 9

17 minus 9 is 8

16 minus 9 is 7

and so on.

For multiplication you have several ways of doing it:

1 9 is 9

2 9s are 18

3 9s are 27

etc.

9 times 9 is 81

9 times 8 is 72

9 times 7 is 63

etc.

And for the division:

81 divided by 9 is 9

72 divided by 9 is 8

etc.

You can also skip count and watch the Schoolhouse Rock videos.

I have found great improvement in knowledge of math facts using this method. And you can do it anytime, anywhere. Even driving in the car you can start shouting out problems and have them answer.:001_smile: