Menu

Educational Apps?

lindsrae

If you search these forums, there's some threads with a great list. I also just got an email that there's a brand new email list about educational apps. I just signed up so I haven't been approved yet, but just wanted to let folks know.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ischooling/

In addition to the lists here, in the past day, I jotted down some apps I wanted to check out:

• Magic School Bus
  • Cyberchase
  • Discovery Education
  • BrainPop (already have this one)

Dramatized KJV GoBible includes a daily Bible reading schedule and plays readings from 2 or more sections of the Bible for about 12 minutes, with sound effects and multiple actors as well as a narrator. Comprehension of the archaic English is high and trains the ear. My son used audio tapes back in the homeschooling dark ages to accomplish this. Now it's even cheaper and easier :-)

Shakespeare in Bits is amazing! again another wonderful ear trainer for archaic English, to prepare a student for an intensive Great Books reading plan. Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth are currently available with more titles in the works.

I'm not recommending these titles for the content of the titles, but for the opportunity to become bilingual in archaic English. It was something that happened to my son by accident and not something I planned :-0

Edited by Hunter

Guest RecumbentHeart
Dramatized KJV GoBible includes a daily Bible reading schedule and plays readings from 2 or more sections of the Bible for about 12 minutes, with sound effects and multiple actors as well as a narrator. Comprehension of the archaic English is high and trains the ear. My son used audio tapes back in the homeschooling dark ages to accomplish this. Now it's even cheaper and easier :-)

Shakespeare in Bits is amazing! again another wonderful ear trainer for archaic English, to prepare a student for an intensive Great Books reading plan. Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth are currently available with more titles in the works.

I'm not recommending these titles for the content of the titles, but for the opportunity to become bilingual in archaic English. It was something that happened to my son by accident and not something I planned :-0

good idea, I'll be checking those out.

These look great! Thanks! :001_smile:

We're about to study our US States, and I just found two AMAZING apps for that.

Shake the States - Just $0.99, this is a fun states puzzle that is colorful and very fun! Level 1 has the borders where you drag the state to its proper place, Level 2 has no borders. If you drag it to the wrong place, the states will tumble. This was just released 4 days ago.

But the winner for us is... and not to be confused with Shake the States, is STACK THE STATES! There are so many cool things about this that I'm just going to write a blog post about it and take my time with the description. This is one of the most fun, educational, well-done apps I've seen so far.

Rocket Math rocks for math stuff. So many educational apps are too simple and boring, but this is a winner.

Other favorites

Star Walk is mind-blowing. I can't wait until we study space so we can really use this. I love showing this app off to people. Christmas night was super fun, as Santa flew across the starry night sky!

iBirdPro gets used a ton. Easy to search, fun to learn... I love being able to do bird calls and attract birds (use with caution though).

I've been really wanting Audubon Guides and now that it's 20% off, I splurged! This guide includes their Birds, Mammals, Trees and Wildflowers.

My two current favorite apps are for math practice.

Math Drills by Instant Interactive

This app does math fact drill. It includes single operation and mixed drills. You can customize exactly which facts appear. There are "assistants" that help the kid figure out the right answer. You can have different settings for different kids.

Math Carries by Matt Hunter

This app does multi-digit addition and subtraction with carrying in a way that fairly closely resembles pencil and paper addition.