Menu

Question for PTs or sports moms:

My dd9 has been complaining about her feet hurting from Irish dancing. I assumed it was the front of her feet since that's where the impact is. However, her dance teacher questioned her and found out that it's her heels that are hurting. Her fascia feel supple, so her dance teacher doesn't think she has a torn fascia. She had dd stand with her feet together and noticed that her kneecaps turn slightly in instead of facing straight out. She's very slightly bowlegged, but not enough to notice if you're not looking for it. It could be that her feet are hurting because of the change in activity and she just needs to work past it. But should I be concerned about her knees turning in and get her checked out? If so, by whom? I'm thinking I'd prefer to see a PT, but if so, I'll have to convince our family doc to give us a referral. I'm hesitant to see an orthopedist due to their propensity to recommend surgery over other options. My dh doesn't trust chiros and doesn't want me to take her to a chiro even for a consult.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

An orthopedist is very unlikely to suggest surgery for heel pain in a 9 year old dancer. If you have a pediatric sports orthopedist in your area, that is where I would go. The orthopedist can refer you to PT if that will help, and it is quite likely to.

My guess is that she has Sever's disease. It is practically a rite of passage among gymnasts, and 9-10 is the prime age for them to get it. The treatments are rest (though dancing/flipping through the pain does not make it worse), Ibuprofen, ice and heel cups. When my then-9 year old had it, the heel cup (there is a special one made for gymnasts that they can wear barefoot) fixed it instantly, though that is not always the case. There is a pinch test that can often be used to diagnose Sever's--Dr. Google can give you details.

It also can be an issue with the structure of her feet (one of my daughter's teammates has this), and the orthopedist diagnosed it and referred her to a PT.

In any event, a PT is going to want to know the diagnosis before doing therapy, so even if you want to end up with a PT, I would start with the orthopedist. Again, if you have a sports orthopedist in your area, you might as well make her acquaintance now, but otherwise, I would find any good pediatric orthopedist.

Terri

A.

My guess is that she has Sever's disease. It is practically a rite of passage among gymnasts, and 9-10 is the prime age for them to get it. The treatments are rest (though dancing/flipping through the pain does not make it worse), Ibuprofen, ice and heel cups. When my then-9 year old had it, the heel cup (there is a special one made for gymnasts that they can wear barefoot) fixed it instantly, though that is not always the case. There is a pinch test that can often be used to diagnose Sever's--Dr. Google can give you details.

Terri

My gymnast daughter also had it last year. She just used the heel cup in her shoes and during practice for about 4 months and she hasn't had any complaints since. We occasionally dosed with ibrupofen and iced as needed. Our ped said that if wearing the heel cups for a while didn't help then she would do follow up --- otherwise, we were doing the right thing.

Interestingly, I happened to mention it to a friend of mine and a short time later her athlete (lacrosse and soccer) ended up with the same condition. He's fine, too.

Yep, Sever's. Not a biggie. She'll outgrow it by the time she's 16. My ballet dancer dd had it and my son has it now. It's aggrivated by jumping. Have her stretch out her heels by hanging her foot off a step and pushing her heel down. Also, having her ride a "Ripstick" will help alleviate the pain and stretch out the tight calf muscles (a result of the Sever's). My ped recommends them for all kids with Sever's. Plus...they're fun! :D

Also, as a Peds nurse, we see this all the time. It is caused by the heel bone not fusing together completely in a child until they are in their mid to late teens. At a young age, a tendon keeps the two bones together and often becomes inflamed by jumping movements. This is what is causing her pain. You can check by squeezing the heel between your thumb and first finger. In a child with Sever's that has flared up....it will hurt. Ice and anti-inflammatories can help relieve the pain. Stretching is what will help prevent it. But honestly, there's not much you can do until the bones fuse together. It's a growth plate issue.

Edited by DianeW88
Clarity

She'll outgrow it by the time she's 16.

I just want to add that if it is Sever's, your daughter will not necessarily have this pain constantly until she's 16. With gymnasts, it comes and goes at 9 and 10 and mostly "goes" once they turn 10 or 11. My daughter's, and that of most of her teammates, flared up at 10 but did not last long.

You can find the heelcups on Amazon. Search for "Tuli Cheetah." If you get one that can be worn barefoot (it is the cup with an elastic sleeve to hold it onto the foot), it also comes with one with no sleeve, to wear in a shoe. Also, FYI, the one-size option does not fit very small feet--you'll need the one that comes in sizes.

Hope that helps.

Terri