Menu

Do they send these to everyone?

Oh my goodness.. My e-mail box is flooding with college stuff. I guess from when my son took the PSAT. I didn't think they would bother since he was only 10th grade, but we've gotten stuff from Rice, TCU, Austin College, St. Edwards and tons of others. They seem to know he's interested in computer science. I guess they just send this to everyone who took it??

christine

There's a box to check off on the PSAT that will open the floodgates of mail from colleges. There's also at least one question asking about possible college major.

I think my middle dd must have chosen "no" as her answer to whether or not she'd like to receive mail, because she hasn't received anything. My other dd started receiving tons of mail about one month after she got her PSAT results and her overall score was about 30 points lower than middle dd's.

My son throws all the college oobleck in a particular bag in our living room. He intends to weigh the bag at the end of his senior year in order to find out how many pounds of garbage the colleges will have sent him over the years!

(He knows where he wants to go, so 100% of the college mail is waste to him)

There's a box to check off on the PSAT that will open the floodgates of mail from colleges. There's also at least one question asking about possible college major.

I think my middle dd must have chosen "no" as her answer to whether or not she'd like to receive mail, because she hasn't received anything. My other dd started receiving tons of mail about one month after she got her PSAT results and her overall score was about 30 points lower than middle dd's.

I think you're right. My 16yo got a ton last year as a tenth grader but next to nothing this year after raising her score 130 points.

Barb

My dd really doesn't need the mail. She doesn't want to go too far from home and only 4 schools within 500 miles offer the major she's looking for. Two of those schools are Christian, so they're crossed off her list already. The other two are Rice in Houston and UT Dallas in Richardson. She's most likely to go to UTD because they will accept all her credits from the cc, it's located just 10 minutes from the grandparents, and her older sister will be starting there in the fall.

Oh my goodness.. My e-mail box is flooding with college stuff. I guess from when my son took the PSAT. I didn't think they would bother since he was only 10th grade, but we've gotten stuff from Rice, TCU, Austin College, St. Edwards and tons of others. They seem to know he's interested in computer science. I guess they just send this to everyone who took it??

christine

I'm also wondering if they send them to everyone with an appropriate choice of major or do they consider scores, too?

This happened to me way back when I was in high school. I am so glad that my parents encouraged me to at least look over each of the brochures I received.

I received info from a school I had never considered because I had never heard of them -- Washington University in St. Louis. (I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I was surrounded by several top-ranked schools already.) I ended up receiving a full scholarship to WashU.

Now my 17yos is receiving postcards from schools we've never heard of, some of which have personalized websites he can go to.