Menu

I told her to be creative...

Dd11 had to re-tell The Wind and the Sunfor writing. She balked at having to re-write the model close to the original because it was too "boring". I told her to keep the essentials the same but to be creative in adding in other details, dialog, etc. This is the last part of her story.

Finally the wind gave up his blustering and blowing. The Sun came out of hiding and began to shine, and in a short time the traveler took off his coat because he had become too hot. The Sun said, "I win!" Then the traveler said, "Holy cr@p, the sun talks!", then he fainted dead away.

I don't know what else to say.:glare:

Dd11 had to re-tell The Wind and the Sunfor writing. She balked at having to re-write the model close to the original because it was too "boring". I told her to keep the essentials the same but to be creative in adding in other details, dialog, etc. This is the last part of her story.

Finally the wind gave up his blustering and blowing. The Sun came out of hiding and began to shine, and in a short time the traveler took off his coat because he had become too hot. The Sun said, "I win!" Then the traveler said, "Holy cr@p, the sun talks!", then he fainted dead away.

I do. I think your dd and my Swimmer Dude could possibly be soul mates...at least when it comes to writing styles.:tongue_smilie: I remember that assignment and agree with your dd's assessment.:D

That is very funny. She really did a great job of making it more interesting. Though not through the ideal methods. :D

I would probably have a quick discussion about attitude in her writing, what she is telling her writers about herself when she swears in her writing, but I wouldn't make her change it. It is part of the learning process, so I would learn from it and move on.

Heather

That is very funny. She really did a great job of making it more interesting. Though not through the ideal methods. :D

I would probably have a quick discussion about attitude in her writing, what she is telling her writers about herself when she swears in her writing, but I wouldn't make her change it. It is part of the learning process, so I would learn from it and move on.

Heather

Yes, we (dh and I) got a good laugh about it...we have said that before, so know that's where she got it from.:blushing:. Dh said that atleast she used it well.:glare: I did tell her that we could get the same point across without using the word cr@p. She said she tried "Oh my goodness..." but that it didn't have the same effect. We went through a myriad of other options...and she finally settled on "good grief!". We did have a good discussion about what a traveler during that time would have said (some options would have probably been much worse) and about using certain words to get a point across without being rude. All's good and now she has a list of acceptable phrases to use to express surprise. :D

Yes, we (dh and I) got a good laugh about it...we have said that before, so know that's where she got it from.:blushing:. Dh said that atleast she used it well.:glare: I did tell her that we could get the same point across without using the word cr@p. She said she tried "Oh my goodness..." but that it didn't have the same effect. We went through a myriad of other options...and she finally settled on "good grief!". We did have a good discussion about what a traveler during that time would have said (some options would have probably been much worse) and about using certain words to get a point across without being rude. All's good and now she has a list of acceptable phrases to use to express surprise. :D

Good grief is just as effective, IMO. Excellent substitute. Funny but these kids are always keeping us on our toes in so many different ways.

Heather

Another soul mate over here: My 6th grade ds was outlining on the crusades last week:

I. Da Stupid Warfare

II. Revenge (in place of something he had written about dumb europeans, I caught that one but didn't see the above)

II. Ye Olde Fin (learned finis in music this week so..)

I regret letting him read those dumb kids books now. :P