Menu

Best Rec for Student Laptop

We are looking ahead to buying dd her first laptop in the coming months. Dh and I are sold on Macs, love them and use them, but cannot afford to buy one for dd just yet. We need to save money, especially since she is still preteen and has never had her own computer yet.

What would you recommend for a girl's first laptop? Here's the criteria:

• We need a good deal, a really good deal
  • Wireless
  • It needs to be compatible with Apple's iTunes (No Vista! We've encountered bad problems with Vista with iTunes in the past on a desktop PC we own)
  • Dd loves graphics and needs plenty of room for her picture albums and files
  • In a perfect world it would come bundled with Microsoft Word, but not mandatory
  • Not set on monitor size - it is, after all, her first laptop
  • Pretty girly color would be a plus

Thanks folks. I am anxious to read the recommendations.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We just bought our 17 year old ds a Dell Inspirion 15. So far, he's loving it. It has been adequate for his needs, but it doesn't come bundled with Microsoft Office. I'm going to have to add that for him.

You can download Open Office for free. We like it just as well as MS Office. It has a word processor, a spreadsheet app, etc, just like Office. And it will convert files back and forth from their format to MS's format.

You can download Open Office for free. We like it just as well as MS Office. It has a word processor, a spreadsheet app, etc, just like Office. And it will convert files back and forth from their format to MS's format.

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the tip, Truscifi!! I have a similar set up on my MacBook with Mariner software, although it wasn't free. But I'm excited about this possibility!

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Blessings,

Lucinda

We just bought this netbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-NB505-N508BL-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Blue/dp/B004G8QZPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296865096&sr=8-1

DS2 loves it. It comes in blue, brown, orange, green and turquoise. Battery life is 8 hours. Screen size is 10.1". Windows 7 is on it. Open Office has been downloaded, as has K-9 web protection. Cost $298. I bought the 3 year Square Trade warranty with accident protection for it, too, for $70. It has a B/G/N wireless card. DS2 turned it on and it worked right off the bat. Your wireless password will have to be input, and the netbook tells you that.

It does not have an optical (disk) drive, but there is an external one you can buy, according to DS2.

He's a real techie and has been doing exhaustive research of laptops (his next purchase), and if you give him a price range and number of years you want the laptop to be in service, he will be happy to give you the results of his research. Email me, if you'd like.

Edited by RoughCollie