Menu

Assignment sheets inspiration?

charlestonmom03

I am looking for some ideas for assignment sheets. My 2nd grader does really well with having a list of what he needs to do each day of the week (I think he likes checking things off and also feeling in control of what he is going to do and when he is going to do it)... but I am not very good at having a list ready for him each week. Anyone have a successful assignment sheet system to share?

Thanks!

I have found a really simple teacher's plan book. I think I get it from Rod and Stff at our state convention. It is cheap too.

But have an assignment sheet I made too . I made it on a word doc.

Here is a sample this ws for my older child.

Whoops won't let me upload.

Edited by ZooRho

I have a table that I made in Word. There are columns for the days of the week. In each cell, I type what she is to do. Most of the assignments are vaguely worded (e.g. Math Lesson or English Lesson) and she comes to me to ask what the actual assignment is. However, DD gets to choose which activity she does next and she checks off what she's done. She likes seeing and knowing how much school she has each day. I make a new chart each week.

I post the chart in a picture frame on the wall where we can all see it throughout the day.

Edited by Kuovonne

For my second grader, I use one of the small (5x8) yellow legal pads and put the day of the week and date (Thursday 2/3/11) at the top in the margin. Then I draw a box to check off with each assignment next to it. I've found that he likes that kind of paper because it's bright and unique. (I started using it because I had it around and didn't know what to do with it, but that's the only thing we use it for now.) Now my three-year-old even recognizes it as a "school sheet."

I've also found that the more boxes he can check off (within reason), the happier he will be. I think there's a sense of accomplishment there. Because of that I will break things into Reading Work Page #223, Reading Work Page #224 rather than Pages #223-224. I try not to exceed the front side of the paper so he doesn't feel overwhelmed.

If I'm ambitious, I'll do all of the week's planning and assignment pages on Sunday night and keep them in my binder. If not, I just do them first thing in the morning. Right now I also lay out any books/pages/workbooks he needs in a neat stack on his desk with the paper on top. I'll probably quit this next year, but right now it gives him a visual appraisal of how much he's done as he puts the papers/books aside.

I also put in goofy things sometimes, like box 1: Happy Groundhog's Day! or (if I'm working on it in the morning and he's grumpy) box 3: Jump up and down 10 times! At this age, he just thinks it's funny. Plus, who doesn't want a freebie box to check off once in a while?

Things listed on the sheet are non-negotiable -- I've made that clear -- but the list is really more of an incentive than anything else.

I know that this is pretty old fashioned, but I've toyed with printing out sheets or something like that, and it seems just as time consuming. (Plus it uses expensive printer ink!)

This all makes me sound way more organized than I really am -- I'm very much a "fly by the seat of my pants" person, but Thing 1 is definitely not. At this point, Thing 2 is looking forward to her own assignment sheets next year. (K doesn't have much to assign.) Thing 2 is very much a "head in the clouds" kind of girl, so I'm hoping that this will help her to get some structure. If it just frustrates her, I'll probably not use it for her for a while. Right now, I'll take advantage of the fact that she wants to be like Thing 1!

I'm also interested to hear what other people do.

Good luck!

--Pamela

I have a spreadsheet in Excel that lists the days and dates across the top and the subjects down the side with room to check off each assignment as it's completed. All I have to do is fill out the sheet with the appropriate pages numbers, etc for each subject and day.

My kids each have a clip board where they keep their assignment sheet and any miscellaneous pages for the week (ie. cursive worksheet, copywork pages). They check off the box when the assignment is done. I grade the assignment and give it back for corrections and when it is completely finished, I check it off, too. This way we can all see what they've done, what needs to be graded, what's finished, and what's left for the day/week.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I made up a notebook for my son (3rd grade, but I started this last year in 2nd) with work he can do independently. I have a checklist for each week, and he does like checking things off very much! In fact, he usually makes another box at the top of each "day" so that he can check it when that day's independent work is completed as well! :)

Here's the link to the post where I explain the notebook in detail. Hope this helps!

I give each of my kids a daily assignment sheet (well, not the Ker) and I printed them off then laminated them. I then write on them with a wet erase marker which makes them very cost effective. Here is what ours looks like.

They are slightly different to reflect what each one of the kids does, and the two blank spots at the bottom are for extras like Typing or Art that we don't do every week.

I give each of my kids a daily assignment sheet (well, not the Ker) and I printed them off then laminated them. I then write on them with a wet erase marker which makes them very cost effective. Here is what ours looks like.

They are slightly different to reflect what each one of the kids does, and the two blank spots at the bottom are for extras like Typing or Art that we don't do every week.

I really love this! :)

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I made up a notebook for my son (3rd grade, but I started this last year in 2nd) with work he can do independently. I have a checklist for each week, and he does like checking things off very much! In fact, he usually makes another box at the top of each "day" so that he can check it when that day's independent work is completed as well! :)

Here's the link to the post where I explain the notebook in detail. Hope this helps!

Sorry to hijack, but Carrie, do you bind all of their work together? Or do you just have their weekly lists in there? What if you get off or behind some week? How do you adjust it?

Sorry to hijack, but Carrie, do you bind all of their work together? Or do you just have their weekly lists in there? What if you get off or behind some week? How do you adjust it?

I do put the work (Science Detective pages, etc.) in the notebook. I bind 9 weeks at a time. I use my Proclick to bind it, so I am able to open and move things around if need be. A three-ring binder would also work for this, too, though.

I plan by "weeks," and if we get behind, we just move on to the next week. Most things in there are a do-the-next-week-type thing such as handwriting or Daily Geography practice, so it's not a big deal if he didn't do "Day 4" of a particular week b/c we were at a play or something. If it's something I really want him to do (a worksheet that corresponds with our science or something like that), I'll take it out and add it to the next week under "other."

This system works well for us ... especially since I need about 30 min of uninterrupted time to work with my Ker. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

I have a paper that lists his daily task then space for me to fill in the details and list other things, then there's a box to check off. I put it all in a clear sheet protector and give him a wipe off marker.

so the list says "Handwriting" and underneath I write the page # in wipe off marker for the day. It takes just a minute or so to fill everything out from our lesson plans each morning (or night before). And also doesn't use so much paper.