Menu

Peela - how was your ds's first day at school?

I remember your posts about homeschooling being over, and thought I'd ask how he went (assuming his school started on the Feb 2) at school.

I'm sure it probably wasn't an easy day for you, either. I shed tears when my youngest dd went last year.

We started homeschooling the year before you, I think (Aug 2000, anyway) - I remember you from way back on the CHOOZ boards! We finished homeschooling last year - my dd is also dyslexic, and only ever went to Pre-primary. She had many feelings of failure in the early years of h'sing when her same-age cousins were learning to read and she just wasn't getting it. Reading came later, but writing and spelling remained a chore. Last year in school, the amount of writing helped her to cement her growing ability, and now she copes a lot better. Spelling is still not great, but that's OK. The school was wonderful in making allowances for her - not insisting she take notes, giving her extra writing time in her exams, and most of all for believing me when I asked that she be put in the top classes. After her exams she was placed in the top classes for this year, too - I made a big fuss of the fact that she got into them on her own merits - not just because Mum pushed them into it!! That has really boosted her confidence, and she is talking about going into Medicine down the track, and is determined to be the best she can be at school now.

Also can relate to your wonderings about what to do with yourself - I was determined on having a year to just relax and enjoy me time, then figure out something to do. Life threw me something to do then in the form of Hodgkin's Lymphoma - so my life now is back and forth to Perth for chemo treatments etc!! Not what I expected, but I'm very glad that I'm not homeschooling with that going on!! It's all good though, and now my thoughts are more strongly turning towards doing something to do with health and helping others after this is over.

Anyway, I shouldn't be rattling on about me - I really did wonder how you and your ds coped with the first day stuff!! I guess he came home full of all sorts of things!

Oh thanks Isabella, for thinking of me! I remember you.

I am so sorry about your Hodgkins Lymphoma. Is it in remission?

Jared came home yesterday quite excited. He enjoyed it. They did a full day's work on the first day and he came home with an hour's worth of maths homework- which I then had to sit next to him and help him through. He could do it but asked for my support because he wants to do well! Woohoo! He is motivated! Dh and I have discussed this....we want him to stay motivated rather than give up because its all too hard (which is whayt happened in grade 2 when I pulled him out), so I will give him all the support he needs- probably lots of homework help. But even though I was sitting there and helping him (stay focused more than anything), he also kept insisting on "doing it himself" so that he "didn't look like an idiot because he couldn't do them in class".

So this is why he needed to go to school- I could not motivate him any more. He said he learned a lot on his first day and he enjoyed what he learned.

He likes the teachers- and I must admit, seeing them interact with Jared in the few times we went to the school before now, I find them very respectful and friendly- really talking to him as a young adult. He feels they are respectful too- they treat the students with respect and care (I think its a big deal to him so thats why we are noticing). The students also banter with the teachers a lot, which Jared enjoys and was surprised by- that they could speak up in class fairly freely.

As for friends- that was not something I was worried about. He knows kids there, and he is also very good at making friends. He made "heaps of new friends" on his first day, he said. He also reckons that the kids dont really care what each other does so he feels he can just be himself to a large degree. That means a lot to him too.

Overall, I am thrilled, and he is very enthusiastic and thinks he is going to like it. Unfortunately some of his friends (homeschoolers and others) have bets on how long he will last at school. He felt a bit hurt by that, because instead of being supportive of him, they are sort of "waiting till he fails".

However last night at gymnastics some older boys- 19year olds- told him in front of me that they really miss their school days in retrospect, and they encouraged him to really enjoy himself and school life. To them, getting up at 7am and starting school at 8.30 seems like a distant luxury- they have jobs that involve a very early rising. But I am happy that they were encouraging of him. He is quite vulnerable about it.

I made him ride his bike there this morning. Its only a 10 minute ride. He was so tired yesterday when he got home, he couldnt imagine riding home today, but I reckon he may as well start now! Even though it is a 37C degree day! I will make him a smoothie when he gets here.

So thanks for thinking of us. So far so good.

ETA: Day 2 was also a success. Graphic design and metalwork were hits! So was Health Ed but I havent understood what they actually did. Overall, another good day.

Edited by Peela

Ibbygirl - don't worry - I would have pm'ed Peela if I didn't want anyone butting in!! ;-) I'm sure lots of people would rejoice too, on the successful culmination of Peela's homeschooling, and the beginning of her son's school life!

Peela - that's wonderful that he had a good time!! Yes, I did lots of homework help with my 14yodd last year. She wasn't so motivated and would leave lots of things to the last minute, so I would be typing assignments up for her at midnight, while she got some sleep! Probably not a good thing, but it was all such a change for her, I felt I had to help. She had a fear of failure, too, but this year her attitude has changed, and she knows she *can* do it. I knew that she *could* last year, but she didn't.

My girls were all a little shocked at the way the students talk back to teachers, when they went to school. I think our school is a little rougher - country senior high school, where most of the better students go to boarding school in Perth - and half of who are left hardly want to be there! In the top classes, the atmosphere is better, but these kids have grown up having their own way at school, with very little repercussion, so by this stage they pretty much do what they want. My dd's teacher said she would like to clone my dd, and her class would be much easier!!

Yeah, the woodwork & workshop were so much fun for my dd, too.

Great that he made heaps of friends - maybe he'll be hanging out more with those than the homeschool friends that might have a negative influence on his enthusiasm.

Yes, I hear you on the motivation at home. I always wanted to hs them all the way through, but for my kids it (going to school) was a very necessary part of their education. Learning that they were not always going to be big fish in a small pond was very good for them. It also helped them to realize they had it pretty cruisy at home, and mum wasn't a dragon after all. They are very grateful for the years they had at home. And so am I - especially the early gentle years!!

Well, I'm so glad it went well for him. And you went OK, too?? ;-)

ETA: I have 4 more months of chemo, but it's going OK I think. Lumps reducing in size. PET scan to come in a few weeks, which will tell for sure how it's going.

Edited by Isabella

Ibbygirl - don't worry - I would have pm'ed Peela if I didn't want anyone butting in!! ;-) I'm sure lots of people would rejoice too, on the successful culmination of Peela's homeschooling, and the beginning of her son's school life!

Peela - that's wonderful that he had a good time!! Yes, I did lots of homework help with my 14yodd last year. She wasn't so motivated and would leave lots of things to the last minute, so I would be typing assignments up for her at midnight, while she got some sleep! Probably not a good thing, but it was all such a change for her, I felt I had to help. She had a fear of failure, too, but this year her attitude has changed, and she knows she *can* do it. I knew that she *could* last year, but she didn't.

My girls were all a little shocked at the way the students talk back to teachers, when they went to school. I think our school is a little rougher - country senior high school, where most of the better students go to boarding school in Perth - and half of who are left hardly want to be there! In the top classes, the atmosphere is better, but these kids have grown up having their own way at school, with very little repercussion, so by this stage they pretty much do what they want. My dd's teacher said she would like to clone my dd, and her class would be much easier!!

Great that he made heaps of friends - maybe he'll be hanging out more with those than the homeschool friends that might have a negative influence on his enthusiasm.

Yes, I hear you on the motivation at home. I always wanted to hs them all the way through, but for my kids it (going to school) was a very necessary part of their education. Learning that they were not always going to be big fish in a small pond was very good for them. It also helped them to realize they had it pretty cruisy at home, and mum wasn't a dragon after all. They are very grateful for the years they had at home. And so am I - especially the early gentle years!!

ETA: I have 4 more months of chemo, but it's going OK I think. Lumps reducing in size. PET scan to come in a few weeks, which will tell for sure how it's going.

Wow Isabella, you have been on quite a journey.

Thanks for sharing about the homework. I am stealing a few minutes on the computer before going to bed, after spending 4 HOURS helping my son with his homework. He did forget to tell me he had till Monday to finish his maths- I thought it needed to be in tomorrow. Grrrr. But thats what took most of the time. Maths is not "easy" for him but he is really going for it. I asked him if he wanted to stop several times and he insisted we keep going (wanted his weekend free :tongue_smilie:).

I am so glad that for some reason I can actually remember how to do year 10 algebra. I have no idea why that information is in there taking up space in my brain since I haven't used it in almost 30 years. :) Jared and I were actually enjoying both doing the work side by side and comparing answers. I cant imagine him doing that much work on his own, honestly- and he did do most of his homeschool work independently by the end.

I have no idea how long I will need to help him so much. He has always needed a lot of support. Your story about your dd helps me feel no so bad about it- and I dont mind. One day he will not need me so much but while he does...here I am.

So maybe thats why I havent felt strongly pulled to do something else this coming year, like get a job or study. Maybe having the kids at school/college is going to be virtually as much work as having them at home. I must admit I *am* enjoying having free time during the day, though it passes very quickly.

Take care Isabella.

I hope things continue to go well for you! :grouphug:

Oh thanks Isabella, for thinking of me! I remember you.

I am so sorry about your Hodgkins Lymphoma. Is it in remission?

Jared came home yesterday quite excited. He enjoyed it. They did a full day's work on the first day and he came home with an hour's worth of maths homework- which I then had to sit next to him and help him through. He could do it but asked for my support because he wants to do well! Woohoo! He is motivated! Dh and I have discussed this....we want him to stay motivated rather than give up because its all too hard (which is whayt happened in grade 2 when I pulled him out), so I will give him all the support he needs- probably lots of homework help. But even though I was sitting there and helping him (stay focused more than anything), he also kept insisting on "doing it himself" so that he "didn't look like an idiot because he couldn't do them in class".

So this is why he needed to go to school- I could not motivate him any more. He said he learned a lot on his first day and he enjoyed what he learned.

He likes the teachers- and I must admit, seeing them interact with Jared in the few times we went to the school before now, I find them very respectful and friendly- really talking to him as a young adult. He feels they are respectful too- they treat the students with respect and care (I think its a big deal to him so thats why we are noticing). The students also banter with the teachers a lot, which Jared enjoys and was surprised by- that they could speak up in class fairly freely.

As for friends- that was not something I was worried about. He knows kids there, and he is also very good at making friends. He made "heaps of new friends" on his first day, he said. He also reckons that the kids dont really care what each other does so he feels he can just be himself to a large degree. That means a lot to him too.

Overall, I am thrilled, and he is very enthusiastic and thinks he is going to like it. Unfortunately some of his friends (homeschoolers and others) have bets on how long he will last at school. He felt a bit hurt by that, because instead of being supportive of him, they are sort of "waiting till he fails".

However last night at gymnastics some older boys- 19year olds- told him in front of me that they really miss their school days in retrospect, and they encouraged him to really enjoy himself and school life. To them, getting up at 7am and starting school at 8.30 seems like a distant luxury- they have jobs that involve a very early rising. But I am happy that they were encouraging of him. He is quite vulnerable about it.

I made him ride his bike there this morning. Its only a 10 minute ride. He was so tired yesterday when he got home, he couldnt imagine riding home today, but I reckon he may as well start now! Even though it is a 37C degree day! I will make him a smoothie when he gets here.

So thanks for thinking of us. So far so good.

ETA: Day 2 was also a success. Graphic design and metalwork were hits! So was Health Ed but I havent understood what they actually did. Overall, another good day.

I'm Glad to read about the smooth start!