Menu

I was reading some political commentary this morning and thinking that there were interesting examples of style that I wanted to point out to my kids, since they'd just spent two weeks writing an essay for a contest.

It occured to me that while my kids read a lot, they probably don't get a lot of persuassive essay reading. Even the big chunks of non-fiction they get is probably mostly narrative.

So I'm wondering if I need to start directing them to more essays to read so they better understand the style.

Do your kids read much in the styles that you're teaching them to write?

What are some good sources for well written essays?

This is one of the nice things about taking a Bravewriter class that includes essay writing. Kids see examples of different types of essays, and also get to read all of the essays and feedback of all the kids in the class. It points out something that I had never noticed--that essays tend to be composed and written in relative isolation compared with fiction, since very few people ever read them.

My dd read Common Sense this year. She struggled with it at first, but it was a good experience for her. We're starting logic soon, then we will start reading more. There are a lot of opportunites in American history for essay reading - especially during the Revolutionary War and into the writing of the Constitution.

DS read lots of on-line political commentaries, which are, essentially, essays. He started this fascination with politics 8th or 9th grade. It probably helped that he was actually interested in it.

Oddly enough, when he got his PSAT results, one of their standard recommendations was to read political articles. He had fairly good critical reading scores, in spite of having read relatively little in the way of real books. (He was a WTM drop out. :glare:)

I didn't think he read or wrote enough, not anywhere near the WTM recommendations. It seemed to work out though. He must have gotten a lot more out of them than I thought. He's a freshman now at USAFA and is doing fine.

DS read lots of on-line political commentaries, which are, essentially, essays. He started this fascination with politics 8th or 9th grade. It probably helped that he was actually interested in it.

Oddly enough, when he got his PSAT results, one of their standard recommendations was to read political articles. He had fairly good critical reading scores, in spite of having read relatively little in the way of real books. (He was a WTM drop out. :glare:)

I didn't think he read or wrote enough, not anywhere near the WTM recommendations. It seemed to work out though. He must have gotten a lot more out of them than I thought. He's a freshman now at USAFA and is doing fine.

Where did he read the political commentaries? One of my sons is really interested in economics. And I've found that the other one was actually readng the entire paper, not just the comics, when he would sneak it off to his bedroom (I used to find several days worth next to his bed).

I find that often political commentary has so much vitriol or is in need of critical thinking and fact checking. On the other hand, wide reading would seem to provide an antidote to this.

He used to read:

CNN

Foxnews

But says he now reads a lot of:

Politico

He says CNN and Foxnews has the news and Politico is more analysis and reactions to the news

Thanks. I noticed a couple essays today that I thought had good flow and writing. I had the kids read them, just for form.

I have picked up used copies of The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2008(or whenever) and the Best Am Travel Writing 20?? and shared some of the essays with my teens. There is a sports one and a general essay one as well. Also we read magazines such as The Economist, Discover, the Atlantic.

Ruth in NC

If you are picking up the Best Am Travel Writing 20?? or the sports essay book, you may want to pre-read or at least scan the essays. These were written for adults. I have seen essays in the travel book that mention brothels and sex in ways that I would not choose to expose my young teens. YMMV but I did want to point that out.

Ruth in NC

If you are picking up the Best Am Travel Writing 20?? or the sports essay book, you may want to pre-read or at least scan the essays. These were written for adults. I have seen essays in the travel book that mention brothels and sex in ways that I would not choose to expose my young teens. YMMV but I did want to point that out.

Ruth in NC

I'm hesitant to get a subscription to Outside magazine for similar reasons. Someday probably. But not yet.

On the other hand, I am reminded of a great book of essays by E. B. White that I found at the library months ago. DH was reading them and thought they were really good. I'll have to dig these out for the kids.

My main purpose is to try to put more vivid, short pieces in front of them. Maybe I'll make a binder with some samples that I find useful.