Menu

Advair - is there a better drug?

The dr just prescribed Advair for my asthmatic daughter. I'm kind of new to dealing with this. Is Advair really the best choice for a mildly asthmatic patient? Would she be better off with a steroid alone? If so, what steroids have people had success with? Are some better than others? Are some cheaper than others?

At first I started trying to find a cheaper alternative to Advair (I knew I was in trouble financially when the dr prescribed something that is advertised on TV). But then I started to run into descriptions of what Advair actually is (a steroid plus a bronchodilator -- and I'm not sure I want her on a bronchodilator all the time if it's not needed), so now I'm not so sure it's the best drug for her. For her situation, it seems like a steroid all the time and then a bronchodilator only as needed would be the way to go. The bronchodilator seems to be less safe than the steroid, and anyway, the bronchodilator she's currently on (as needed) keeps her up all night.

But maybe I'm missing something? Any advice?

I've had asthma for 30+ years, and they used to do just dialators, then they did just inhaled steriods, and now the studies say that it is best to do both together all of the time. Instead of looking at the drugs separately, you need look at the long-term benefits for both together because that is why they're put together. People who do both have far less lung scarring (a long-term complication of asthma), fewer ER visits, and fewer hospitalizations. The amount of dialator in Advair is much, much less than what is given by itself, just enough to keep things open and then the steriod reduces the inflamation that makes asthma so dangerous.

And yes, Advair is expensive, but so are the complications of asthma, especially if you have it most of your life. If you have questions about your child's particular case, you should ask your doctor, but I'm guessing that he/she will say the same thing I've outlined here.

I'm not up on the latest research myself (about the combined inhalers being better for everyone), but our experience was just an inhaled steroid (Flovent) first.

Then when dd5 had a breakthrough asthma attacks (she was on the steroid at the time that required an ER visit, plus had had a couple of illness requiring her rescue albuterol,) the pediatrician put her on a low dose of Advair instead.

So far, so good. I do usually give her "steroid vacations" in May/June, when it's not cold/flu season.

--Karen

My dd takes Advair, and it has done really well for her. Her rescue inhaler use has gone WAY down. Our doc did say that he recommended people to start at the lowest dose and working up as needed. (we are working down after a doc change though, because she was on the highest dose after a bout with pneumonia )

My Boo-Boo is on Flovent and she has done extremely well with it. The only time she has needed the dilator in the past year and a half is when we tried to take her off of it in the summer. It is also expensive (costs us $107.00 per month with the insurance discount) but it works well for her. I am more comfortable using the least medication necessary. I understand your concern.

If possible, I would see a pediatric pulmonologist and maybe that could either set your mind at ease or put you on a different path.

I have no advice for you, but wanted to let you know that the Dr. told my husband that Advair is getting ready to release a generic version. :hurray: He didn't have an exact date though.

Edited to add: You can get coupons for Advair here http://www.advair.com/copd/coupons-and-special-offers/coupons-special-offers.html

Edited by HeatherM2

We have been out of the asthma world for a few years now as my daughter is doing better. Our research and the doctor's input said that a low dose daily med like the Advair is MUCH safer than the higher dose rescue meds--oral steroids and albuterol inhaler/nebulizer. Your goal is to avoid the crisis meds as much as possible.

Can you ask your doctor for samples? Often they can get them free from the drug rep. They might also be able to sign you up for a huge discount program/free one from the drug company. Please let the doctor know about the financial concerns of using Advair.

Thanks for the advice (and the coupons!). As it has turned out, the prescription didn't go through properly to the pharmacy so it looks like we're waiting until Monday anyway.

I'm planning to call the dr back to discuss this. The things I have been reading seem to suggest that Advair is indicated for somewhat more severe cases than what my daughter has. Also, my husband has found that he does well with just the steroid and no albuterol most of the time, so I'm thinking that might be a better choice. Can't do much about it until Monday, though.

I'm just glad that I actually have this question. If they had more severe asthma, I don't think we'd be pondering the decision.

Oh, and we need to do a good search of the basement for mold, which might explain why this came on suddenly.