Menu

Suggestions for books like Alex Rider or 39 Clues

cylau

Have you tried Jack Higgins?

Sure Fire, Death Run, Sharp Shot, First Strike

I like these a lot. You should find them in the YA section. Rich and Jade are 16yo twins whose mother just died (they're at the funeral on the first page). Their father (whom they've never met) takes them to England (where he lives). They don't know that he's a spy for British Intelligence.

Another series he might like is the Knight and Rogue series by Hilari Bell.

Last Knight, Rogues Home, Player's Ruse

This series is also in the YA section. Michael is a knight errant and Fisk is his unwilling squire. It's a lot of fun.

ETA:

I didn't notice that your ds is only 8yo. I don't remember anything in either series that I listed that would be a problem for an 8yo, but my youngest is 12yo, so I wasn't reading them with an 8yo in mind.

I would definitely try Artemis Fowl, all of Rick Riordan's stuff, and all of Hilari Bell's books in the JF section (she has a lot and everything she's written is excellent). If he hasn't read them yet, the Lionboy series and City of Ember series would also be good to try.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of This Book is Secret and sequels

M.T. Anderson's Thrilling Tales series

The Poisons of Caux series

not whimsical, but Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series is a real page turner

Thanks! DS just turned 9. He is not sensitive. I will screen the books before giving them to him. He has read Artemis Fowl already and loved it. I will check out all the other series.

Yes, he is a bookworm. He always love a good book.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

There are a few Clive Cussler Dirk Pit books that have been made into young adult books (Inca Gold is one). If your not familiar with Dirk Pit, he has adventures similar to Indiana Jones, lots of action and adventure. Just make sure you have the young adult books and not the adult ones, the adult ones do have some s*x scenes.