Menu

I need some advice re: my 9th grader

I have two in 9th grade. One is reasonably independent, the other requires a lot of guidance.

Since January 2010 I have been working full time (my dh lost his job after 21 yrs due to a mill closure). Of course this means my needy 9th grader isn't getting much day time supervision. So, I thought it would be easier if he did a couple of courses on line (with a school in our province) and we'd do the rest on our own. So in September we signed up for science and socials on line.

Now I feel slave to the on line course which my ds isn't able to fully do with out help and, while in theory he's supposed to get support from a teacher, we haven't really figured out how to fully utilize this so I'm left doing more work than I did when I was teaching him independent from these on line courses.

So now I'm stuck making some big decisions. In our province kids can graduate from grade 12 with a diploma that really makes entrance into college easier. However this means that starting in Grade 10 he almost has to do all courses on line (to meet learning out comes). My experience with the two courses he's doing this year is that doing all on line courses will suck the life out of him.

So my option is to go back to what we were doing before on line and not worry about a diploma (and all the fear that goes along with that) or put him in ps which is not a great option in our neck of the woods.

I miss my former life of sahm, full time homeschooling but its not likely to happen again given the employment situation here. So I wrestle with what to do with my ds.

What I want to do is ditch everything and go back to doing what was good for us but honestly I'm afraid I'll regret it later. BTW this boy knows he would like to enter a trade such as electrician.

Any advice?

I wish I had some advice for you. However, all I can tell you is that I share the same concerns: my oldest boy who needs a lot of guidance is also entering grade 10 in B.C. next year. I'm hoping to get away with only two online courses - planning and science. How we shall fare on English and math provincial exams, doing that, is a whole 'nother question.

Most homeschoolers in my neck of the woods tend to send the kids off to ps for gr. 10-12. sigh. I've been chatting with an experienced mom who has graduated six kids: three without diplomas, one with, and two from high school. She claims the lack of diplomas has not been any greater hindrance than with. I don't know if I am brave enough for that, though.

Edited by KathyBC
Correction

If you weren't working full-time, would you still go for the diploma/online courses?

If yes, then I see you as needing support materials, reference books, and other ways to help him succeed in the path that you would have him on either way.

If no, then I see you as needing curriculum ideas for independent learning or online learning with greater flexibility, so you could reproduce home education without as much input from a parent. (Christian vs. secular?)

Julie

I wish I had some advice for you. However, all I can tell you is that I share the same concerns: my oldest boy who needs a lot of guidance is also entering grade 10 in B.C. next year. I'm hoping to get away with only two online courses - planning and science. How we shall fare on English and math provincial exams, doing that, is a whole 'nother question.

Most homeschoolers in my neck of the woods tend to send the kids off to ps for gr. 10-12. sigh. I've been chatting with an experienced mom who has graduated six kids: two without diplomas, two with, and two from high school. She claims the lack of diplomas has not been any greater hindrance than with. I don't know if I am brave enough for that, though.

We should start our own support group. I have a cousin here in BC who graduated one with a dogwood and two without and says the same thing. I'm with you on the not feeling brave enough to do this but I worry about killing the spirit within my son.

I thought the on line school thing was the answer to my problem but I'm finding its not. And I don't think its just my school that's the problem because I have a sister who is with a different on line school and shares the same complaint. What is the complaint? I feel that I'm doing the same amount of teaching as before. THe only difference is that the work is laid out for us. So, it saves time in planning but hasn't lessened my teaching work load at all. And in fact I'd say because I didn't do the planning its harder for me to do the teaching.

In theory on line seems like a good alternative but we haven't really been able to make it work for us very well.

If you weren't working full-time, would you still go for the diploma/online courses?

If yes, then I see you as needing support materials, reference books, and other ways to help him succeed in the path that you would have him on either way.

If no, then I see you as needing curriculum ideas for independent learning or online learning with greater flexibility, so you could reproduce home education without as much input from a parent. (Christian vs. secular?)

Julie

Honestly we struggled with what to do even before working full time. I know I can teach him independently and I think it might be a better fit for him but I'm scared about ditching the idea of a grade 12 diploma, worried that it'll make getting into college or getting work for difficult.

It all boils down to the fear of the unknown. :001_smile:

Rose, I have no real advice other than a little encouragement to follow your instincts. I believe we'll all be left with a few regrets and wishes for more time or a little do over....:grouphug:

In theory I agree with this advice . . . now I just need a little courage. :001_smile:

:grouphug:

Working full time and homeschooling independently, or under the umbrella of a DL program, is certainly a challenge any way you cut it.

Since January 2010 I have been working full time (my dh lost his job after 21 yrs due to a mill closure).

Is your husband able to assume some of the home learning responsibilities you are currently struggling with?

My experience with the two courses he's doing this year is that doing all on line courses will suck the life out of him.

From your son’s perspective, what is causing this? Uninspiring content? Too much busy work? Too difficult? Struggles with the on-line delivery model? Do his independent study/time management skills need support?

If a BC, K-12 Dogwood is important, and the brick and mortar public school is not a viable option, it might be worthwhile to put BC’s various DL schools under the microscope. My sense is that they’re not all cut from the same cloth. You’ve got public vs. independent. Some rely heavily on e-learning modalities and some offer paper-based alternatives. Some offer courses that are semester based and others have continuous entry, year long course completions. Some (mostly the Independent DL’s, I think) offer higher degrees of flexibility with respect to the learning resources you can use for accreditation. For example, my DL (it’s Independent) will approve Saxon’s highschool math courses provided my son completes a couple of small supplemental modules. Same goes for some of Apologia’s high school-level science courses provided they are tweaked a little. English programs are highly customizable too. All this to say, maybe you can secure a DL school that is more in sync with what you want and need for your son.

What I want to do is ditch everything and go back to doing what was good for us but honestly I'm afraid I'll regret it later. BTW this boy knows he would like to enter a trade such as electrician.

What are your son’s feelings regarding the pursuit of a K-12 Dogwood? If attendance at local/regional colleges are real possibilities down the road, what are their admission policies for homeschool students? Can you work backwards from there to decide if ditching the K-12 Dogwood is something you can get comfortable with? Is BC’s Adult Dogwood a viable alternative?

:grouphug:

Working full time and homeschooling independently, or under the umbrella of a DL program, is certainly a challenge any way you cut it.

Is your husband able to assume some of the home learning responsibilities you are currently struggling with?

From your son’s perspective, what is causing this? Uninspiring content? Too much busy work? Too difficult? Struggles with the on-line delivery model? Do his independent study/time management skills need support?

If a BC, K-12 Dogwood is important, and the brick and mortar public school is not a viable option, it might be worthwhile to put BC’s various DL schools under the microscope. My sense is that they’re not all cut from the same cloth. You’ve got public vs. independent. Some rely heavily on e-learning modalities and some offer paper-based alternatives. Some offer courses that are semester based and others have continuous entry, year long course completions. Some (mostly the Independent DL’s, I think) offer higher degrees of flexibility with respect to the learning resources you can use for accreditation. For example, my DL (it’s Independent) will approve Saxon’s highschool math courses provided my son completes a couple of small supplemental modules. Same goes for some of Apologia’s high school-level science courses provided they are tweaked a little. English programs are highly customizable too. All this to say, maybe you can secure a DL school that is more in sync with what you want and need for your son.

What are your son’s feelings regarding the pursuit of a K-12 Dogwood? If attendance at local/regional colleges are real possibilities down the road, what are their admission policies for homeschool students? Can you work backwards from there to decide if ditching the K-12 Dogwood is something you can get comfortable with? Is BC’s Adult Dogwood a viable alternative?

Just home for lunch. Thanks for all your comments.

I've got some off the top of my head answers to your questions but I think I'll mull them over and see if maybe I'm not thinking this through thoroughly enough.

Would you mind telling me which DL you're linked with? (You can pm me if you wish.) It sounds more flexible than mine (or maybe I don't know enough about ours and what kind of flexibility it offers).

I have told my son that we will have a conference this weekend to talk through some of these things and see what he thinks.

Rose,

Here is a link to the BC Ministry of Ed’s listing of Independent DL’s:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/independentschools/bc_guide/dl_schlist.htm

Weblinks for the various schools are indicated. Mucking around the internet sites of the Independent DL’s might give you a preliminary sense of how flexible the various schools might be on their high school level courses and programs of study.

We’re currently with Traditional Learning Academy. We are not, however, enrolled in their DL program. Rather, we’re registered with them as independent homeschoolers. I have, however, made inquiries as to what high school could look like if we were to flip into their DL program. Another Independent DL that is on my radar is Regent.

Like you, I struggle with whether or not the K-12 Dogwood is the be all and end all. My son is currently in grade 8, so I’ve got a little time. I won’t be able to remain on this fence for very much longer, however! To a large degree, I’ll be looking more and more to my son for help in the decision making process. He’s a little young, but at the moment I'm not getting a single clue about what might float his boat in the future. Nothing!:blink:

My gut tells me I’ll have to keep an eye on university admission requirements. That’s pushing me in the direction of a K-12 Dogwood. I don’t think the K-12 Dogwood is the only ticket to university/college, but it makes the admission process so-o-o much easier in our neck of the woods, doesn’t it?

My gut is also telling me that my son may have difficulty nailing down his career interests. He’s a fellow with lots of passions and interests and he likes to pursue them all. That’s pushing me to give him a ton of flexibility during the high school years so that he can have time to finetune his calling. 80 credits for the K-12 Dogwood could be very stifling. Independent homeschooling, on the other hand, gives him all the flexibility he might need. This may sound a little trite, but the Adult Dogwood could save our bacon if the “do our own thing” high school experience turns out just fine, but he decides very late that a university degree is his next step. The Adult Dogwood could dovetail in with a gap year of sorts, followed by first year university courses at local college.

Decisions, decisions!! :willy_nilly:

Edited by HockeyMom
typos and such

Rose,

Here is a link to the BC Ministry of Ed’s listing of Independent DL’s:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/independentschools/bc_guide/dl_schlist.htm

Weblinks for the various schools are indicated. Mucking around the internet sites of the Independent DL’s might give you a preliminary sense of how flexible the various schools might be on their high school level courses and programs of study.

We’re currently with Traditional Learning Academy. We are not, however, enrolled in their DL program. Rather, we’re registered with them as independent homeschoolers. I have, however, made inquiries as to what high school could look like if we were to flip into their DL program. Another Independent DL that is on my radar is Regent.

Like you, I struggle with whether or not the K-12 Dogwood is the be all and end all. My son is currently in grade 8, so I’ve got a little time. I won’t be able to remain on this fence for very much longer, however! To a large degree, I’ll be looking more and more to my son for help in the decision making process. He’s a little young, but at the moment I'm not getting a single clue about what might float his boat in the future. Nothing!:blink:

My gut tells me I’ll have to keep an eye on university admission requirements. That’s pushing me in the direction of a K-12 Dogwood. I don’t think the K-12 Dogwood is the only ticket to university/college, but it makes the admission process so-o-o much easier in our neck of the woods, doesn’t it?

My gut is also telling me that my son may have difficulty nailing down his career interests. He’s a fellow with lots of passions and interests and he likes to pursue them all. That’s pushing me to give him a ton of flexibility during the high school years so that he can have time to finetune his calling. 80 credits for the K-12 Dogwood could be very stifling. Independent homeschooling, on the other hand, gives him all the flexibility he might need. This may sound a little trite, but the Adult Dogwood could save our bacon if the “do our own thing†high school experience turns out just fine, but he decides very late that a university degree is his next step. The Adult Dogwood could dovetail in with a gap year of sorts, followed by first year university courses at local college.

Huh, I didn't even think about the adult dogwood.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You've given me lots to think about and a feeling like there are options (if I overcome the whole fear thing :) ).

This may sound a little trite, but the Adult Dogwood could save our bacon if the “do our own thing†high school experience turns out just fine, but he decides very late that a university degree is his next step. The Adult Dogwood could dovetail in with a gap year of sorts, followed by first year university courses at local college.

A gap year might be a good option! I don't know anything about the Adult Dogwood. Is this similar to GED?

For example, my DL (it’s Independent) will approve Saxon’s highschool math courses provided my son completes a couple of small supplemental modules. Same goes for some of Apologia’s high school-level science courses provided they are tweaked a little. English programs are highly customizable too. All this to say, maybe you can secure a DL school that is more in sync with what you want and need for your son.

Yup, another friend is using TT Alg 2 along with some supplemental modules for Math 10. I'm considering a print-based course from Open School.

The Adult Dogwood is not the same as the GED. Here is a link that explains the Adult Dogwood:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/graduation/adult_graduation.htm

A couple of interesting things to note about BC’s Adult Dogwood:

• Of the 5 courses required, each worth 4 credits, 2 can be completed prior to turning 19 years of age and enrolling in the program. If an independently homeschooled student were to take a couple of eligible courses during his grade 11 or 12 year, he’d be on his way to earning the Adult Dogwood.
  • Courses must be undertaken after the student turns nineteen but if the student has been out of school for more than a year, these courses can begin during the student’s 18th year with permission. I’ve been told that homeschooled high school students (without public or independent DL oversight during these years) meet the “out of school for one continuous year†provision. As such, all 5 courses (or perhaps the final three if two courses were completed 12 months prior to turning 18) could begin while the homeschooler is 18 and wrap-up when he turns 19.

For home learners who have their sights set on a BC Dogwood, the Adult Dogwood might be a workable alternative. These students will, however, “graduate†a little later than usual.

Students who are considering an Adult Dogwood and planning for further studies at a college or university should, of course, check the Adult Dogwood against admission policies. Also, additional prerequisite courses might be required.

Courses to fulfill Adult Dogwood requirements can be taken at many of BC’s community colleges. It would be interesting to know if any colleges offer these classes for dual credit. That would be kinda cool!