Menu

Really don't want to... but I think I need a new curric for my younger ds...

Allearia

I have loved RightStart math and have used all the levels with older ds, he is in E now.

My younger ds who is K age (turns 6 tomorrow) I started in RS B in September and he just gets everything without instruction. I just give him the next worksheet and usually he can do it without me explaining or explaining very little. He just got how to do things like mental two digit addition with re-grouping. He is just 10 lessons away from the end. Each worksheet takes him 5-10 minutes.

So I am thinking of something a bit more workbooky that we can go really fast if he wants. It would be nice if we could just open the next page and do it, iykwim. I am thinking either Singapore or Math Mammoth, Singapore seems more challenging but I like that Math Mammoth is just one book. Is Math Mammoth going to give us what I need? Or should I really go with Singapore and the Intensive Practice and CWP? I have some of the Singapore 3 materials my older ds used a bit. Or should I just stick with RightStart and give him the worksheets and let him go since I already have all the $$$$ materials for that?

I'm not familiar enough with RM's curriculum to know... are there quizzes/assessments that you could have him do to find out what he knows, then go back and fill in any gaps you find? With Horizons, there is a quiz every 10 lessons. When my kids were having those super accelerated phases, I had them do the quiz first. Then if they missed something on the quiz, I knew that was something we needed to go back and do more practice on. Are you using the RS card games? We did them and several other fun supplements so if I could think of a way to do that practice with a game instead of a worksheet or workbook page, that was much more popular with my sons.

I would use Singapore (I don't like MM) and let him go as fast as he needs to and supplement with the CWP and IP books. For my younger son, the problems in the text were more than enough. For the past year we went double speed, only doing the textbook problems, and that seemed to be just about right.

I would use Singapore (I don't like MM) and let him go as fast as he needs to and supplement with the CWP and IP books. For my younger son, the problems in the text were more than enough. For the past year we went double speed, only doing the textbook problems, and that seemed to be just about right.

I'd do SM as well. It's easy enough to go quickly (two have mine have easily done two grades in a year and they aren't the most motivated dc out there by any means.) Do learn the bar diagrams and the Singapore way for if and when things get a bit more challenging. I rarely used the text book for the first 2-3 levels, and some use the textbook only. I use the texts more as time goes on, but it's handy to have them at all levels, and they aren't expensive.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I have decided to go for Singapore, he will probably finish RSB before it arrives. We may keep some of the drawing/geometry activities in RS which were always my older son's favorites and the reason we stuck with RS the whole way through.

I started my DD on RightStart Math B last June. (She was 5, turned 6 in Oct.) Up until the end of last year, she was progressing well, doing 4-5 lessons per week, although always required some support on worksheets. We are now on L 80 Mentally Adding Double Digit Numbers and suddenly she doesn't know what 7+1 is, 90+10, sometimes she'll even say things like 5+7 is 57. She is having a super hard time doing the worksheets and I have to walk her through every tiny step of the way. In January, we slowed down to ~2 lessons per week.

I'm considering switching or supplementing with SM. On the other hand we're 3/4 of the way done with RSM B. Should I just go slower? Should I review more? Or should I just give her a different approach. SM seems to present math in a more varied way. Any help would be appreciated.

I started my DD on RightStart Math B last June. (She was 5, turned 6 in Oct.) Up until the end of last year, she was progressing well, doing 4-5 lessons per week, although always required some support on worksheets. We are now on L 80 Mentally Adding Double Digit Numbers and suddenly she doesn't know what 7+1 is, 90+10, sometimes she'll even say things like 5+7 is 57. She is having a super hard time doing the worksheets and I have to walk her through every tiny step of the way. In January, we slowed down to ~2 lessons per week.

I'm considering switching or supplementing with SM. On the other hand we're 3/4 of the way done with RSM B. Should I just go slower? Should I review more? Or should I just give her a different approach. SM seems to present math in a more varied way. Any help would be appreciated.

Something that I just thought of is that it isn't unusual for 6 yo's (looked at your sig line) to forget things like this. I think supplementing with SM will be a good way to start, and then switch totally if that seems to work better.