Menu

aas readers

iona

You can use them with or without AAS, the order integrates with the lessons in AAS perfectly. They start out with simple CVC words and gradually progress. If you are using them with AAS, they don't have as many sight words as the Bob Books do.

Have you seen the online samples? That might help you decide. Merry :-)

I just bought volumes 1 & 2 for level 1 of AAS and they are SO cute! The stories are very similar to 'Bob Books' stories, but they tie in directly with AAS lessons (there are "cues" in the AAS lessons to tell you which stories the child should read). And the illustrations are absolutely adorable. :001_smile: Not to mention, they are very sturdy and professionally made, so they'll withstand several children! I look forward to using them as I begin level 1 of AAS with my second son.

i currently use opg for phonics and ds1 is almost done with it, so i'll be starting him on aas. ds2 will start opg soon and i was thinking of using the aas readers with or as an alternative to the bob books. am i correct in thinking that the progression would be similar?

What are the chances that someone has seen both these AAS readers (I can't view the samples for some reason) and Sonlight I Can Read It series? I was thinking about using or switching to AAS but I like the I Can Read It series as it is much more advanced imo than the Bob series. (Each day there is a long story to read.)

My son was reading from the I See Sam Books (all short vowel words) and was doing really well...but he was seeing the bigger sized books his siblings were reading and wanted to do the same. So I started my search for such a creature, and found these online. At first I was torn between paying $20 and letting my son have what he wanted. But I found one that was used and I jumped at it...and the look alone from my son and the sparkle in his eye when he saw his big book...not to mention that he sat down right away and started to read, was worth EVERY penny. And after using the book (plus we have bought one more since) we are very pleased. The pictures, although black and white are just beautiful, pencil sketches. The stories are each different from the others and my son loved that. I am so glad I spent the extra money for these...it was so worth it. Way better than BOB books, with my son did NOT like. We used the AAS readers and the Sam books together.

I used AAS 1 last year with dd (K) along with the Bob Books and the AAS readers. At that time, the readers started on the current Level 1 Volume 3. We went from there to the Volume 2 readers and then onto Sonlight 2 Readers.

The AAS readers are great. (I haven't seen Level 1 Volume 1 because it just came out.) I was very glad to see the addition of 1 & 2 because IMHO, the stories are so much better than the Bob books. They are actual stories - not just a series of silly sentences. The drawings are beautiful and the books are nicely bound.

While the AAS readers do work nicely with AAS, I don't believe you need to use AAS to use the readers.

Oh so nice to see what others have to say!

We use Hooked on Phonics and although my dd7 took right to it and is doing wonderful with it..my dd5 is NOT at all! My dd7 loved learning to read with HoP, but I have to find something else for dd5 as it's just a battle anymore. So I pulled out the BoB books and she is doing so much better with those than the HoP program...I was at a complete loss as to why :confused: .... but she is beginning AAS level 1 this week and I think having the readers to go along with the program is appealing to me more and more! I think I'll continue with the BoB books until I can get the funds to order the first 2 volums of readers :)