Menu

Travel/Country Themed Chapter Books

We love read-alouds and always have at least one going on at home and during school hours.

As some of you may know, we'll be traveling to the U.K, Paris, and Israel this summer. We think (and hope ;)).

If you know of any sites or any suggestions for nice read-alouds that involve any of these countries, please do share.

Some that we have read:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Paris)

Family Under the Bridge (Paris)

Okay ... now, my brain has stopped. :lol:

Here are my suggestions

Linnea in Monet's Garden Garden by Christna Bjork (Giverney/Paris)

Paddington books (London)

ETA: Opps just saw the age of your children. These are picture books so they might be a bit young. The Linnea book is awesome so check it out but again might be a bit young.

If you can track down a copy of "Bum Voyage", it's a good read (OOP, though). It was one of my mom's favorite books as a child, and one of mine as well. The gist is that a 10 yr old boy is dragged across Europe by his mom in 1950. It is a non-fiction travelogue written from the 10 yr old's perspective.

Here are my suggestions

Linnea in Monet's Garden Garden by Christna Bjork (Giverney/Paris)

Paddington books (London)

ETA: Opps just saw the age of your children. These are picture books so they might be a bit young. The Linnea book is awesome so check it out but again might be a bit young.

We've loved these. I grew up being crazy about Paddington Bear. :D

We're hoping to visit Monet's Garden. Can't find where our Linnea book is, but we also have this one. The entire series is just gorgeous.

the-magical-garden-of-claude-monet-anholts-artists-anholts-artists.jpeg

If you can track down a copy of "Bum Voyage", it's a good read (OOP, though). It was one of my mom's favorite books as a child, and one of mine as well. The gist is that a 10 yr old boy is dragged across Europe by his mom in 1950. It is a non-fiction travelogue written from the 10 yr old's perspective.

I wish that amazon would ship used books internationally. So frustrating.

The Shakespeare Stealer is fun. Murder for Her Majesty is good for the history of York. Frances Hodgson Burnett is an excellent picture of Victorian England.

Laura

Thanks, Laura. Will look into The Shakespeare Stealer as well as Murder for her Majesty. We love Frances Hodgson Burnett.

If you're really interested in visiting literary places, I would also recommend Once Upon a Time in Great Britain (A Travel Guide to the Sights and Settings of Your Favorite Children's Stories) and How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books.

I've been working on a British Lit book list for my kids, so here are some books for the UK, which may or may not be useful:

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (various locations along the Thames)

The Country Child by Alison Uttley (Life on a Derbyshire farm at the end of the 19th century)

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (Set in the English Lake District, there's a whole series of books that follow this)

Mary Poppins by PL Travers (A series, better than the Disney version & set in London!)

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (London, WWII)

The Children of Green Knowe by LM Boston (series, inspired by the author's home in Hemingford Grey, Cambridgeshire)

Any books by Noel Streatfeild, Enid Blyton, Richmal Crompton (the "Just William" stories, some can be found in the public domain), Joan Aiken.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ;) It's not the movie, let me just say.

They cross the channel to go to Paris. The family blows up the cliffs of Dover. (That's right, family; there is a mother in the book.)

Although your kids may be too old. Maybe the 11 yr old would like it.

While we are on good books tuned into so-so movies ;), The 101 Dalmations might be another to add.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks, Tina. That looks really good also. :)

So far, I thought I'd share what I just ordered. Not done yet ... I have to say we do have quite a lot of the picture books and some others that would do great to re-read - The Invention of Hugo Cabret, for instance - as well as others.

Here's what I just ordered:

London Calling

Good Night, Mr. Tom

The London Eye Mystery

51KQIVGFNEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Dh and dc will likely go on it. I won't be going, due to my very intense fear of heights.

Just William - no idea what the book will be like, but we grew up LOVING the TV series.

just_william.jpg

Forgot that also got this one - London Through Time

london.jpg?w=199&h=253

Thanks again, everyone. Do please keep any more suggestions coming. Love these! :D

Edited by Negin in Grenada

It's a standard on the UK curriculum, but it includes the most upsetting mother in children's literature. She is clearly mentally ill and causes the death of one of her children in extremely distressing circumstances, having a profound effect on the central character. I would pre-read.

Hobbes, who has read a lot of Michelle Magorian, recommends Just Henry.

Laura

It's a standard on the UK curriculum, but it includes the most upsetting mother in children's literature. She is clearly mentally ill and causes the death of one of her children in extremely distressing circumstances, having a profound effect on the central character. I would pre-read.

Hobbes, who has read a lot of Michelle Magorian, recommends Just Henry.

Laura

Laura, thanks for the warning. I hope that Book Depository will allow me to take that off. I'm not into mentally ill at the moment ... :confused: Especially under such horrible circumstances.

Thanks for the other recommendation.

BTW, we are HUGE Calvin and Hobbes fans in this household. Been meaning to tell you that for the longest while. :D